Video Lessons? U-Tube?

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I know everyone is busy around here but I was thinking (Oh No, not that!):

What about a GN You-Tube channel for GN lessons? Or video lessons here?
Anyone with any opinions?

Posted : 08/07/2007 10:34 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Great Idea. I am in for it. 8)

Posted : 08/07/2007 12:09 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't know, I don't see the point of such subdivisions. Why not make a forumpost stickied somewhere with just a list of links to YouTube lessons?

Posted : 08/07/2007 12:54 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I think Pearl is suggesting that David do some video lessons. I think that would be a great idea, but maybe a bit too time consuming for Mr. "Busy-Bee" Hodge! :P

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/07/2007 1:04 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Da David doing free video lessons? I'm all for it! Come on David, cancel your holiday, you know you want to. :P

Posted : 08/07/2007 1:39 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Da David doing free video lessons? I'm all for it! Come on David, cancel your holiday, you know you want to. :P

Oh come on, you are qualified enough to do some free lessons for all of us. Can we start sending our requests ? :wink:

Posted : 08/07/2007 1:42 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Oh come on, you are qualified enough to do some free lessons for all of us. Can we start sending our requests ? :wink:

This is a really good idea I think. I submitted an article to David for GN that will briefly use youtube video that I recorded/uploaded, and plan to submit another one in the future which will rely even more on video- I'm waiting to hear back on it, but can't think of a reason he'd have a problem with the video idea. Once I answered a question in the forum about "being able to bend with any finger" with a youtube video, I thought "wow, this is how we should be doing it."

I think the problem is not everyone has the camera neccesary. Also, for those with slower connections, uploading videos will be a pain in the butt.

All in good time I expect.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 08/07/2007 4:29 pm
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I was thinking of a GN You-Tube channel. I t could be either: all of us submitting our videos or formal lessons with Dave!
Hi Dave!
I have the rest of your year planned for you!!

Posted : 08/07/2007 7:31 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Well, there are many members here who are good at playing guitar. David is of course an expert, but he is hard on time.

Guys like Taso, Arjen and even you (to Pearl) can start recording and posting on there.

Then we have other experts such as Gnease, Greybeard, Alan Green, Wes Inman, Smokedog and many others (Ah and Nick too). If I remember correctly, Nick also posted a short video on hammer ons/pull off lesson.

I am sure this can grow into a big thing. Bring it on folks !

Posted : 08/07/2007 7:37 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

One other thing would be that these lessons would be sort of, "guitarnoise sanctioned", "published" here on guitarnoise, so someone would have to go over them and make sure it was all accurate - like what David does now with the lessons.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 08/07/2007 9:52 pm
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

i was thinking of our own channnel. maybe even a link from here to there.
i have endless ideas for other people to do more work!!!

Posted : 08/07/2007 10:56 pm
(@davidhodge)

It certainly would be more work for our family of volunteers... :wink:

While we may be using YouTube in the very near future (as Taso mentions, he has a lesson currently in the works that uses a link to a video he made specifically for the lesson), I'm not certain of how it will all play in the big picture. It would be one thing to do generic lessons, but I am assuming that most people here are talking about specific songs. And that (yet again and always) falls into the whole issue of copyright.

As far as my putting up video lessons, well, I guess that means I'm going to have to invest in equipment and then take the time to learn to use it. That may not happen for a while yet, owing to a lot of other things going on.

And Taso is right on another, very important point. "Guitar Noise" is all Paul's work and time. We simply can't have a lot of people putting up "Guitar Noise" stuff that is not approved by Paul and, righfully so, Paul's not going to want his name on anything that he doesn't feel is up to the standards of the website.

But if it helps, we are in the process of approaching a number of companies about a line of "Guitar Noise presents..." lessons. Big sticking points currently are (you guessed it), getting permission for the use of copyrighted material. But hang in there, we might be able to do an end run somehow. As always, we'll keep you posted...

Peace

Posted : 10/07/2007 9:39 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

There's always a lot of cool and fun things that can be done to improve GN. What it always ends up coming down to, is that we have more ideas than we have time or money.

I have the equipment and the know-how to direct and edit guitar videos. And I think David and I have keen eyes and a professional approach that could make some really great stuff that no one else is doing. But in terms of the time and money it would cost (even just travel expenses), it starts to look unfeasible for the short term. David and I want excellence to reign supreme at GN. How excellent can we continue to make things and still give it all away for free?

For years we've always returned to the idea of making pay-content. But then we just keep plodding on as usual with the free stuff, because that's what you're all here for anyway. There's only so much that can be done with an army of volunteers. Certain dreams for this site could only be realized with full-time paid staff members. Even reviewing user submitted videos could very quickly turn into a lot of work.

These are all great ideas. But right now we have so many things on the back burner that I don't even know where to begin.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 11/07/2007 10:15 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

GN/Dave,

Although posting videos sounds like a great idea and I'm sure they would be done extremely well. Personally I think you are correct in the amount of time and money needed to do this and it could quickly get out of hand.

I'd vote for leaving this site the way it is, if people want videos they can go to Youtube. I agree most people are here because it's a free site.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 11/07/2007 3:14 pm
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

You know, every time I go to youtube I think that the guitarnoise crew could do something very nice there. I see the objections about the effort somehow needing to be big and imposing and the doing of copyrighted songs. Well guys really, there are already folks doing wonderful 'how to play' videos of copyrighted songs and considering the hoops you would attempt to go through to get legal with the man that isn't worth the effort. And I also see the objection about having to learn a bunch of new stuff when really, all you need is a two hundred dollar Canon camera and a 29 dollar 2 Gig SD memory card and you're in business. If you have Windows XP Pro you have Windows Movie Maker that you can import your short movies in, put titles on them, edit in photos, mp3 samples etc and have youtube encode them into your totally free youtube presence. I can totally see David Hodges sitting in a corner, a guitar or bass on his lap saying, 'Hi, I'm David Hodges and I would like to help you get started playing your instrument. I've written 'The Dummies Guide to the Bass', I write articles that appear in Acoustic Guitar Magazine and at guitarnoise.com at https://www.guitarnoise.com and I'm an altogether knowledgeable and wonderful human being. If you are interested in playing the Bass and it's your first instrument or perhaps you already play guitar and wish to pick up another instrument I completely recommend that you go to Amazon.com and pick up my "Dummies Guide to the Bass". Today I'd like to show you a completely public domain 12 Bar Blues, basic chord formations and recommendations and some totally brilliant banter about the origins of the blues. Or today we'll explain some common strumming patterns using totally public domain last century tunes as examples. Or 'This is David and this is Paul, of Guitarnoise.com with some useful information about which guitar is best for you. If you think you'd like to play fingerstyle then X guitar shape and style is best for you. Etc. There are all kinds of things that can be done without getting near any copyright problems. Look at the beginner forum there for your endless supply of questions to address. There is no long term commitment, no long term investment and if nothing else it gives your fans here a chance to see you and deepen the sense of community that is already here. That's just my opinion.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

Posted : 28/11/2007 4:22 am
Page 1 / 2