spam users?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I was about to reply to a question in 'from here to there', 'good/cheap travel amp suggestions' (not linking for reasons that will become clear). I happened to notice that it was the questionner's first post (fair enough) and that they had an advert for a cleaning company in their signature (bit odd), then I realised that the last four posts on the thread are all single post users and that three of them had adverts in their signatures that looked generic (i.e. 'not visit my site' or something). Wondering if this is actually just very clever (or human operated) spam.

Posted : 14/03/2012 9:05 pm
(@davidhodge)

It's just the latest and apologies that it slipped by. Working on clearing it up.

Thanks for the heads up and your patience.

Peace

Posted : 14/03/2012 10:18 pm
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

No worries, it's pretty subtle. If that's computer generated it's amazing, if it's worth paying people to write sensible comments for the sake of a single link then it's troubling.

Posted : 15/03/2012 7:55 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

imalone,

I help run a very busy web forum myself. [about tractors and equpiment if anyone wants to check it out :D Mytractorforum.com My spam for today :D ] and I will tell you, its a full time job to get them all!!!! Eaven with all kinds of hoops to jump through to reg to the forum [you do TOO much.... and you piss off real members..] Ip's being blocked, and intro forum and posting restrictions for new members, they still get in once in a wile. Then its up to the Mods to catch them, but at the same time most fourms dont have full time staff... just a few guys giving there time to keep the board running. Also most any forum will have a small "report post" button somewere. If you see something that you think is spam, or wrong, hit that, and it sends a notice to the mods about it.

Paul B

Posted : 15/03/2012 2:13 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

There are literally 100s that have show up in the daily birthday list. A single log in with spam in the sig. 9/10s of them joined at the same time April/May 09; maybe that's when the tighter new member stuff went into effect... But, unlike in this case, they never post in the forum so I never bother reporting them.

Don

Posted : 15/03/2012 3:01 pm
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Then its up to the Mods to catch them, but at the same time most fourms dont have full time staff.
Yes, I don't mean to criticise the moderators here in any way, it's a shame David has to spend any time on this (from a purely selfish point of view I'd much rather he was writing lessons). I'll hit the report buttons if that's helpful, I was just surprised to see spam that made such an effort to be relevant to the thread (I've seen just copying a few keywords before), wasn't even particularly sure it was spam until I'd seen all the profiles.

Posted : 15/03/2012 8:35 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Then its up to the Mods to catch them, but at the same time most fourms dont have full time staff.
Yes, I don't mean to criticise the moderators here in any way, it's a shame David has to spend any time on this (from a purely selfish point of view I'd much rather he was writing lessons). I'll hit the report buttons if that's helpful, I was just surprised to see spam that made such an effort to be relevant to the thread (I've seen just copying a few keywords before), wasn't even particularly sure it was spam until I'd seen all the profiles.
A lot of time they will copy a forum post from the past, and tack it on to a thread with a link. They get crafty sometimes. :D

Paul B

Posted : 16/03/2012 7:21 pm
(@savimakwo)

Block all spam users seriously

Posted : 27/02/2018 10:29 am
(@howcanea)

This can margain those spammer ?

Posted : 16/03/2018 7:40 am
(@khaiking)

I'm satisfied with moderation system of guiter noise as post need to be approved first by a moderator before published which helps preventing spamming a lot.

Posted : 30/12/2018 3:14 pm