Notifications
Clear all

Any good female bands?

36 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarchick)
Topic starter  

Where I live, there is a definate opinion that women and rock do not do together (apart from poison-esque videos of blondes in g strings!), We have no local female bands which is a shame, and to be honest, I dont really know of that many famous female rock bands,apart from Hole, (anyone have any suggestions?).
Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing from people who have an opinion on why women just dont seem to be successful at writing good rock.

"Never discourage anyone who continually make progress, no matter how slow" Plato

(@97reb)
Noble Member

What kind of music? I have found a band recently fronted by a woman that is really heavy - Crisis. Another similar is Fear Of God.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@portia)
Reputable Member

Evanescence is good - it's fronted by a female (the rest of the band are male, I believe).

A lot of people like the Donnas - I don't particularly care for them, but you could check them out.

There would be me if I could ever find a band :wink:

There's not a lot of choices out there as far as mainstream rock. I don't think that's because females aren't capable of writing good rock, I think it's more of a social stereotype that men rock and women do more pop or folk. It could be because record lables like to stick to what they know and just aren't willing to market women in the rock genre, or it could be more that women are raised seeing men and women in their respective musical roles and just don't challenge that.

ReplyQuote
(@evilspudboy)
Trusted Member

I always liked Veruca Salt. Unfortunately they aren't together anymore.

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I meant to add some others earlier, but got interrupted. Bottom(all female) - stoner rock/riff-rock. Acid King(one woman & couple of guys) - stoner Rock/doom. Kittie(all female) - metal/thrash(?). Lacuna Coil(female co-singer) - eurometal(very melodic). Sinergy (female singer) - eurometal. The Iron Maidens are an all female tribute to Iron Maiden out of Southern California. Actually, there are several bands in Southern California related to and including various of these ladies that are all female. Some are tribute bands of various groups and some are original. Google "The Iron Maidens" and they have some links.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@guitarchick)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the above, a few people have recommended The Donnas so im gonna check them out. Dont get me wrong, I like listening to Norah jones, Carole King and other easy listening artists, but it is a shame women dont get the same recognition in rock.

"Never discourage anyone who continually make progress, no matter how slow" Plato

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Heart

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Norah Jones is baddasz, quite talented.
An artist from the early 70's, if you can find her works, is Linda Perhacs. She's been passed on for some time, but while she was alive had one or two really good albums.
More modern and Jazz-oriented is Diana Krall.
An English band, named Mostly Autumn, they are folk/classic progressive and have two females in the band that sing and play various instruments.
Let's see - "Air", I believe from France has some female vocals, at least on the album "Moon Safari" and it is hard to describe their music, but I would kind of describe it as semi-electronic, poppy, emotional and overall really good.
And last, but not least of who I can think of right now is Sheryl Crowe (sp?). She is very good and has really grown musically since her first album.

Okay, hope this listening list is more along your line of interest.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

97reb

charles it's Chris, what's up. Funny you mentioned Crisis my girlfriend used to play with that girl. I believe her name is Karen Crisis. She's out of NYC if it's the same person. Heavy hardcore kina stuff.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Air is a two guy synth, Euro-pop group. Any female vocals are incidental.

For rock, check out Belly, The Breeders (defunct), P.J. Harvey, Julianna Hatfield, Liz Phair (especially older releases, e.g., Exile in Guyville), The Pretenders is basically Chrissy Hynde, and she's definitely a rocker -- and, of course, there's always Hole ...

In the ethereal, singer/songwriter or country areas: Beth Orton, Lucinda Williams, Jane Siberry, The Nields (Boston locals, recommend Gotta Get Over Greta collection -- some of it rocks), Ani DeFranco, Laurie Anderson (avant-gard multimedia performer), Shelby Lynne.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@lestatold)

Nightwish :wink:

"voces, a moxidade, estais fudidos!" by taxista

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Trusted Member

Nightwish is a good band. There's also Doro (was Warlock) and if you wanna go a bit heavier there's Arch Enemy.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on earth." - Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song.

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship was fronted by Grace Slick

Blondie
Pat Benetar
The Bangles

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Alannah Myles
Sue Foley

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Aimee Mann -Singer/Tremendous songwriter/rocker. All of her albums are jems.

Mr. Airplane Man- Blues/rock duo, worth seeing live.

And a second for Julianna Hatfield and her on again/ off again band The Blake Babies. She goes from hard edged rock to some sweeter stuff. I adore her album Beautiful Creature.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3