(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This time, it relates to the sublime Hoyt Axton song "Greenback Dollar":

"When I was a little baby,
My momma she said "Son,
Travel where you will and grow to be a man,
And sing what must be sung."

I love the track, but I have a little difficulty with singing that as written...any suggestions?

Take care,

Casey

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

How about: "My mama, she said, Hon,
Travel where you will and grow up as you can,"

I love Hoyt Axton's stuff!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

sometimes the sex/gender crossover adds a bit of poignancy. Angel from Montgomery (when performed solo by John Prine) and The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down (performed by Joan Baez) work that way for me. but you are the singer and it's def a case of YMMV.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Trust me, when I'm singing, the fact that I can't really sing to save my life is the most poignant thing!

Thanks, Ric. (I'll probably end up doing it that way.) Now... "I'm just a natural born travellin' man"

"I'm just a natural born travellin' gal"? (Not quite got the same punch...)

PS: Just checked out "Angel from Montgomery", and finally see what you mean, Greg. (Not familiar with it before.) :)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member

Don't change it! Seriously! 8) Sing it just like that.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

""I'm just a natural born travellin' fan"?"

just a thought.............

Don't forget that Bob Dylan sung the traditional version of "House of the Rising Sun", i.e. from the perspective of a female.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I wouldn't change a thing. An old band of mine did "Joey" by Concrete Blonde, and I sang it. It used to drive the drummer nuts that I wouldn't change the name Joey to something feminine. "Dude! People gonna think yer gay!" I'd just shrug, laugh and reply, "So?" just to watch him twitch. :twisted:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I wouldn't change a thing. An old band of mine did "Joey" by Concrete Blonde, and I sang it. It used to drive the drummer nuts that I wouldn't change the name Joey to something feminine. "Dude! People gonna think yer gay!" I'd just shrug, laugh and reply, "So?" just to watch him twitch. :twisted:

I agree. My musical tastes don't have a lot of female singers so I end up singing stuff I like with male artists. I can't be bothered changing the lyrics. The worst is some people I don't know think I'm a lesbian but since I don't know them, I don't care. And the people I do know think I have the potential to swing that way so no harm there either. :lol:

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

"When HE was a little baby"

The rest as written.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Bob. :)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

My duo partner (and wife) is a much better singer than I am, so she sings most of the difficult songs (and that includes a lot of ballads).

Often she changes gender or sings it in the third person. Other times she sings it as written.

The audience doesn't seem to mind, as long as the performance is true and full of emotion.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@danica-l)

I think if you take a song about a man and spinning it so it is about a women is a very creative thing to do.

But on the other hand, singing a mans song as a strong women is a good way to honor the original material and I think allows listeners to hear another side of the artist.

And Vice Versa when it comes to men singing some more female related songs. Example, Four Year Strong- She's so High.

Danica Levy,
Marketing Manager for Levy's Leathers.
http://levysleathers.com

ReplyQuote