Clear all

Good Morning Vietnaaaaaaaam

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

What with all the last minute preparations, I didn't get time to "clock out". I'm, currently, having a short 2 week break to Vietnam.

We had a couple of days in Saigon aka HCMC - did some sightseeing and plenty of shopping.

I wanted to buy myself some Asian effect pedals. Stupid of me to think that I'd find them in Asia...............

All I've found are Boss at European prices.

There is a very interesting street, where there are a couple dozen small luthier shops, making their own acoustic guitars. They also have some Vietnamese electrics that look like 1960*s Teiscos that have just come from storage in Fukushima. They even have built-in "effects" - although no-one could speak English well enough to tell me what they were. A picture will be forthcoming.

We are now on the island of Phu Quoc in a very isolated and peaceful hotel.

Food is excellent and cheap - as is the beer.......

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 12/05/2011 11:26 am
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Food is excellent and cheap - as is the beer.......
Don't drink the 33 beer. I think it is still made with formaldehyde :mrgreen:

Been wanting to get back there since when I was there in the 60's it was under very different conditions so I am jealous

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 24/05/2011 2:48 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hi Nils,

good to hear from you.

We drank mostly Saigon beer, with occasional forays into the Singaporean Tiger beer. There is no 33 beer any more, they've probably re-badged it 333 - maybe stopped using nasty stuff as well.

We've been lucky to have travelled in most of SE Asia and Vietnam is right up there with the best of them. One thing is for certain - we're going back there.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 24/05/2011 4:46 pm