combining some forums

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hi all,

I've been thinking about combing some forums that have similar content. The objective is to make things easier to find, not less. It seems I've divided the board up into so many categories it's hard to figure out what goes where sometimes.

Beginner's and Guitar Players to start. I don't think there is anything in one that shouldn't be in the other. I think we have pretty much the same crowd in both and our regulars are going to help no matter which forum you post in.

Combine the little used Music Careers into the combined forum above.

Songwriting Club and Songwriting and Copyrights, the latter doesn't get used much and any info that should be a sticky can still be a sticky in Songwriting Club.

Live Sound and Amplification into something called PA and Amplifiers

Combining Gigs and Jams into News

I'm looking for a new into Opinions and Polls

Indie Music and Outta site

What do you think?

Posted : 30/01/2008 10:01 pm
(@davidhodge)

A lot of that sounds great. One thing I was going to ask you was about dumping the "GN Seminars" as we've not been doing any owing to other projects. Maybe combining Gigs and Jams with Seminars and creating "GN Get-togethers and Performances?"

And I truly shudder to ask, but whenh you say "I'm looking for a new into Opinions and Polls" - you're not thinking of another "anything goes" attempt, are you?

Peace

Posted : 30/01/2008 10:15 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's pretty close to that now, but the personal stuff has metastasized to News.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 30/01/2008 10:41 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Good Heavens NO! I was moving the "I'm looking for a new..." forum into "Opinions and Polls"

Posted : 30/01/2008 11:56 pm
(@davidhodge)

That definitely will make me sleep easier tonight. :wink:

While it's not a bad idea, I think that having a separate "gear opinions" is better than lumping all the opinions in together. I think that the "I'm looking for..." page is one of the better new pages, although I really wasn't for it when it started.

Peace

Posted : 31/01/2008 12:02 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I think reducing the number of forums is a good idea.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 31/01/2008 10:01 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Put the Other Side sub-forum under Guitar Discussions - no harm. Double check with EB.

Posted : 02/02/2008 2:23 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Need to update the Live Sound title.

Also, the Online Collaborations could go under Songwriters or In the Studio...

Posted : 02/02/2008 2:26 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Nick,

If we don't go with David's suggestion of keeping a sort of gear recommendation forum, I wonder if you might consider moving the stickies for gear recommendations back into the appropriate forums: guitar players/ bass players/ from here to there? It might make more sense to keep questions regarding what gear to buy in those forums than to have all the recs under O & P. The more I look at this, the less suited O & P seems as storage for gear recs. O & P seems more like the warehouse for matters of taste and enthusiasm, for Youtube interests and oddities, and for nearly off-topic if not entirely off-topic chat. Dispersing gear recs among the other forums means, of course, that the other forums tend on occasion to get inundated with requests for info about gear, but maybe that's as it should be.

Just a thought.

Tim

-- John Lennon

Posted : 03/02/2008 11:11 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I liked the, "I'm looking for" forum. The O's & P's Forum looks like a mess now with all the "mod picks".

Also, would it make more sense to put amplification in with "From Here to There" and come up with a cooler name for it?

2 cents on the dollar............

Posted : 22/02/2008 9:55 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Mike. It was nice to have a forum that collected all of the threads about which gear to buy. I wouldn't mind having that one back.

Tim

-- John Lennon

Posted : 23/02/2008 10:03 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Put the Other Side sub-forum under Guitar Discussions - no harm. Double check with EB.

Fine with me!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 23/02/2008 2:24 pm