Clear all

Anybody else get one of these?

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Check out this e-mail I received today, pretty interesting.

dear mr wes

hello sir, ive been know you from your review about some music
equipment in
internet music forum... i just want to ask sir, do you have any guitar
equipment that you dont use it anymore sir. like strings, broken effect
pedal, replaced pickup, or other else...?

would you give me one of it sir, please...?

oh sorry, i havent introduce myself yet. im traco 16 years old male
from
Indonesia, i really want to learn guitar and have a plan to made one of
electric guitar one in some cheap hand made guitar. yea but i still
need to
find some money to buy the wood first, by singing with guitar and
asking
money in the bus.

its like 'credit' way, i need to find or made my effect, pickup, ring,
pickguard, string offcourse, etc... but i really dont have money to
afford
my interest in this thing. a lot of kid in this third world poor
country
like this have a lot same interest in music, but can't do this because
this
condition.

also i have interest to modify effect with those 'electronical' things,
to
make some cheapes one to have some 'luxurious' sound...

sorry for long write sir, i hope you dont mind and not bugging you...
hope
to hear from you soon sir.

best regards

traco

Poor kid, can't afford strings or a guitar, but has a computer. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 08/10/2006 8:50 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Spam.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 08/10/2006 9:05 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

:?

How very peculiar.

No, I didn't get one of these.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 08/10/2006 9:50 pm
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I haven't had the good fortune to get a mail like that. Their asking for parts what about the tools needed to put everything together.

It's the ones closer to home that make the difference. One day a couple month ago practicing and I heard this clatter against the front door. When I went to look I found the young neighbor boy around 14 that has to use these crutches which are strapped to his arms to walk. He lives about football field or farther away for me. He was setting on my front step and had hit against the door trying to set down. I couldn't believe he made all that way.

He told me he's heard me playing many times all the way over at his house and this time he wanted to check it out to hear me better. I know his parents and he's friends with my daughter so I invited him. He couldn't believe all the equipment I use. Then he said he had an electric but something was wrong with cause it didn't make any sound anymore.

About an hour went by and he said he needed to get home. I offered to drive him and that I would take a look at his guitar. Upon investigating his equipment I found the little battery power amp was fried. His mother said his birthday was about a week or so away and if money worked out maybe they could get him another little amp.

when I got home I went out to my shop were I keep tons of equipment I've collected over the years and pickout one of the two small solidstate 15 watt Crate amps with a 10" speaker that where sent to me a couple of years ago to put through the moves and test. I dusted it off and showed up later with my daughter and we gave him the amp and a new guitar chord for his birthday. His Mom said they couldn't afford an amp like that let alone a 18.00 guitar cord. The price tag was still on it.

My daughter explained to her that it was a gift and my dad dosen't want any money. Plus that I would work with him teaching finger excerises and chords.

There's nothing like the feeling and the look in his eyes and that big ear to ear smile he gave my daughter and I, which made it all worth it.

Joe

Posted : 09/10/2006 1:55 am
(@alangreen)

Great story, Joe.

No Wes - I didn't get an e-mail like that.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 09/10/2006 8:00 am
(@davidhodge)

I haven't gotten one about parts but I've gotten several about lessons. People who want to know how much they are and ask if they can send a check in order to pay for the first few months in advance.

That's (the lessons, not the parts) is a definite scam. Happens to B&Bs all the time around here. You get a check, cash it, they cancel and demand a refund and you send them one and then find out their original check bounced.

You could always tell him you give you parts to local charities. Saves on the postage... :wink:

Peace

Posted : 09/10/2006 12:48 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Wow. It's amazing how much creativity people put into dishonesty, isn't it?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 09/10/2006 1:28 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

What a great thing to do Joe. I remember reading stories that Jimi Hendrix would walk into music stores and buy stock guitars (he always played stock guitars). He was known to give these guitars to any young kid lucky enough to be walking down the sidewalk he ran into.

Yeah, I knew it was a scam. First he talks parts and then quickly changes to cash. I was born at night, but not last night.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 09/10/2006 8:42 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

What a great thing to do Joe. I remember reading stories that Jimi Hendrix would walk into music stores and buy stock guitars (he always played stock guitars). He was known to give these guitars to any young kid lucky enough to be walking down the sidewalk he ran into.

Chicken soup for the guitar players soul 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 09/10/2006 10:30 pm
(@davidhodge)

Joe -

Very cool and something that should be shared.

It's exactly the kind of story I'd like to use in our "Joy of Music" section. Do you mind if I do (no names will be mentioned)?

Peace

Posted : 10/10/2006 10:56 pm
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thats Fine.

The best way to succeed in life is to have more concern for others. When you shift the perspective from yourself to others, the conditions of accomplishment, success, bring a positive outcome. Your life then responds positively. The more real and heartfelt the positive feeling, The greater the success and happiness will be. You can't be strong in the big, important things if you are weak in the little things, because you never know when those little things might make a big difference.

Joe

Posted : 11/10/2006 2:33 am