You are golden good for me

Had a couple sips of bourbon I'm feeling so fine
All my friends are here with me dancing in a line

Life is golden good to me

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Ernie,

Good start :D

Suggestions: These are more personal preferences, so take or leave what works for you.
Consider singing the chorus in 3 lines instead of 4 -cutting out the 3rd time as it's a repeat of the first line musically
Consider moving the chord progressions in an upward direction instead of down
Consider the "believability" of the singer....I'm having a hard time hearing these two lines coming from the same person at a particular moment in their lives
Skipping down the sidewalk avoiding the cracks
Had a couple sips of bourbon I'm feeling so fine
---sounds like two different characters to me

Maybe for v1 it could be "today is golden" then the progression is from short term to long term time frames- today, you (relationship), life

In all it's a bit more laid back than what I was expecting on the read. I was picturing something more "pop"....maybe it goes back to the "skipping down the sidewalk"----anticipating a playfulness in the delivery.

Again most if not all more preference driven suggestions-

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I kind of agree with James about the song sounding like different characters. Are you a hometown boy, a roadtripper, or a party animal? Sure, it's possible to be all three within a day, but the song might hit harder if the setting didn't keep changing.

Also, I was somehow expecting it to sound more optimistic. I think this could be down to the chords you are using over "good for me". I think the line ought to sound happier, sunnier, more Beach Boys.

But that's just me. You've recorded the song and if you like it, no need to change anything.

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions I can see how it is confusing. I started out thinking a Dan Zanes quasi-kid party song...the bourbon line is not nailed in place :D. It is all supposed to be upbeat and playful so I''ll get some new more appropriate chords. I really just liked the C/G and Am7 and the way the melody line sounded over them but I'm all for changing it.

Ernie

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

This song staddles the line of week 18-19. Premonition made you write it?

ReplyQuote