Clear all

Y6week2 winterrædingboc

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hey. boy, was it a stressful week. but at least I managed to have a look at "before you accuse me" (and I think I even got it), so maybe my idea for that assignment will follow sometime next week :wink: for this week... something unusual. I recorded a little demo :D feel free to have a listen here . (kindly ignore the trembling voice in some.. er.. many..places)
here's the lyrics:

winterrædingboc

a book for the winter
with words to keep close
when you pull up your knees
and lean against walls that are cold

you just wanna stand still

a book for the winter
with thoughts to paint in
when you curl up on roof beams
and recall that fleeting spring

if the sky would just spill

if the sky just turned white and spilled
on this city gone dark
your face would light up

ok, footnotes. the title is a, in my opinion, beautiful Old English word I came across in a reader for a seminar (studying is fun). it means "lectionary for the winter". and "you just wanna stand still" was inspired by Duke Special's song "Freewheel" (it's glowing with beauty). that was that. I hope your ears survived my mp3 :lol: comments always appreciated.

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

winterrædingboc.....there's a word I've never come across in all my years (50 and a bit!) of reading English. Sounds great, and I think you manage to do the title justice......

One minor little point.....

"you just wanna stand still
if the sky would just spill
you just wanna stand still"

for that 2nd chorus, I'd leave out the third line and use it as a bridge to the next verse.....ie, three lines of "you just wanna stand still" followed by one line of music and then the "if the sky would spill" line THEN the next verse.....

The demo sounds great, your piano skills are coming along nicely AND the recording quality is pretty good - seems you've got over the soundclick problems. Your voice IS a little wobbly in places, but hey, English isn't your first language - and it's a lot better than I've heard from some English speakers!

I'm still getting that Velvet Underground with Nico vibe from some of your songs - especially this one!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

A very cosy song.
I like the imagery.
Two comments
Curl up on roof beams doesnt sound right
to me it seems like saying curl up on the ceiling
Something like curl up on floorboards would be better
or curl up by the fireside

Also I love the word winterraedingboc too - but I dont think it suits as a title.
Your first line, however is lovely - i'd vote for that as title instead.

My ha'penny worth
Cheers
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
(@fraydoc)
Eminent Member

Agree with Ola, the title of 'A Book For Winter' would be great.Winterrædingboc looks a bit like a mis-print, even if it has a charm of its own!
Cheers, David

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hey :)

so glad you like my demo, vic :D and nico... thanks *blush*. your idea sounds good, I think i'll try it next time i'm back home (where the 'piano' is).

ola, I thought more of curling up on the roof ... maybe of an unfinished house, if you say roof beams are underneath the roof so to speak :wink:
and thank you for the suggestion regarding the title... but I'm afraid I'm head over heels with this word.. I want to keep it there, no matter how odd it may look :D

thanks everyone.
I'm happy you seem to like this.
cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote