Clear all

Y13 W25 Harbingers Of Doom

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Interesting assignment. I've written LOTS of 3-chord songs before, but always in a I-IV-V pattern, mostly blues songs - so in the interest of trying something different, I decided to try a different pattern. So - think of a template. The only three-chord songs I could think of with a different pattern, off the top of my head, were "Stay Wth Me," by Rod & The Faces - A, B and E, or I-II-V, and Hendrix's version of "All Along The Watchtower," Am, G and F.

So I got the old Squier Tele out and came up with a riff in G D and Em...biggest challenge was trying to vary the chords so every line wasn't the same. Musically, think along the lines of Fleetwood Mac's "Green Manalishi" - that "chugging" riff, as I always think of it - but a little faster.

Harbingers Of Doom.

(V1) (Em)Feeling (G)lost and con(D)fused,
And (Em)so very (G)far from (D)home,
Dis(Em)orien(G)tated and (D)bruised,
By (G)all that (D)life has (Em)thrown..

(V2) (Em)Unable (G)to make (D)sense,
Of (Em)all that's (G)happened to (D)me,
(Em)Feeling (G)nervous and (D)tense,
Of this (G)cold re(D)ali(Em)ty...

(Chorus) (Em)There's a (D)shadow (G)across the (D)mid-day (G)sun,
And at (D)night, clouds (G)cross a (D)blood-red (G)moon,
(D)Omens, (G)signs, my (D)race is (Em)run,
(G)Harbin(D)gers of (Em)doom.... (or (D)Harbin(G)gers of (Em)doom - undecided as yet!)

(V3) (Em)Is there any (G)chance I can (D)take,
To (Em)change my (G)desti(D)ny,
Hey (Em)Lucifer, (G)give 'em a (D)shake,
Then (G)pass those (D)dice to (Em)me...

(Chorus) (Em)There's a (D)shadow (G)across the (D)mid-day (G)sun,
And at (D)night, clouds (G)cross a (D)blood-red (G)moon,
(D)Omens, (G)signs, my (D)race is (Em)run,
(G)Harbin(D)gers of (Em)doom....

Three chords, three 4-line verses, and one repeated 4-line chorus...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

I like the word "Harbinger". Good word choices and images. looking forward to hearing this.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Vic,

Nice start and imagery.
:D
Good word choices and images.
+1

Suggestions:

V1 and V2 seem to be conveying the same idea, but V2 does it better, so consider starting with V2 then have a verse about the singer's effort to get home; since V2 mentions he is so far from home.

Thanks for sharing :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

V1 and V2 seem to be conveying the same idea, but V2 does it better, so consider starting with V2 then have a verse about the singer's effort to get home; since V2 mentions he is so far from home.

Suggestion noted and acted upon...originally, I had them that way round...post edited and they're back as they should be.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote