Skip to content
Y10week17 the vanis...

Notifications
Clear all

Y10week17 the vanishing class (katreich)

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The Vanishing Class – title by Kathy (katreich), thanks for letting me have a go :-)

okay, so my first thought was vanishing class as in a group of pupils who suddenly disappear, possibly science fiction scenario or a teacher looking back on life realising that every class he gave (as in the actual things he said) and every class he taught (as in the pupils) eventually vanish... they all leave and few ever let the teacher know how they got in life.. the teacher may confuse pupils in his memories now ..
then went on to think about how as one gets older, one by one, every school-time friend is going out like a light. either because you lose touch or because they die. so their class vanishes. the song could be about a school reunion, that time when nobody else turns up anymore.

however, on a more cheerful note, the song could be about a magician's vanishing class, where he/she teaches “ordinary” people how to vanish into thin air (the vanishing trick!) :-D so either an advertisement jingle kind of thing for the class… or about the magician themselves, how they never get paid because in the end the people they taught just vanish. cheeky. … or point of view of somebody taking the class, possibly what the motivation was (what is the person running from? or just as entertainment. or as another one of those useless soft skills? passing the time till they find a job/die/..?) .. could also combine points of view – have the magician's instructions/jingle as the chorus and dedicate verses to pupils and their motivations.

i know this is rambling on more than actual specific thoughts about the song's story, i'm terribly indecisive. also, planning a song this explicitly is new territory for me – yay! :-D
what do you think would be most interesting?

cheerio,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

(@hagrider)
Trusted Member

Hi straycat.

My definite fave is "a teacher looking back on life realising that every class he gave (as in the actual things he said) and every class he taught (as in the pupils) eventually vanish... they all leave and few ever let the teacher know how they got in life.. the teacher may confuse pupils in his memories now .. "

Would really like to see that one developed. I think there would be loads of scope for details of the pupils, what he taught, the passage of time, the confusion of the memories.

I like it loads.

Hag

Cheers,

HagRider

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Like both ideas - my vote has to go for the magician's class. Would never have thought about looking at it that way.

Of course, you could always make two separate songs for the title and explore each. Either way, definitely looking forward to seeing these ideas take on form.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Just to make this a bit more interesting......

The initial thought behind "The Vanishing Class" had to do with the struggles of the middle class trying to stay afloat in the current US economy. I was thinking of a magician as metaphor.

Not sure if this post is in the spirit of the assignment.......!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

haha, thanks for the input, everyone! still undecided ;-)

aw, Kathy, i never would have thought of it in terms of social class, whoa! sounds like a brilliant way to go, too. that'll be all yours though, i feel like i oughta be more knowledgable if i wanted to write about that :-D
Not sure if this post is in the spirit of the assignment.......!
no worries, i'm sure anything goes :-)

cheerio,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote