Notifications
Clear all

SSG Year 6 - Welcome

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Hello to everyone and welcome to Year 6 of the Sunday Songwriters Group!

As you probably know by now, I'll be taking over for Bob, who's done such a great job the past four years that I'm actually very nervous about giving this a go.

So I'd like to start out with a couple of ideas and see how they work. First is a single "announcement" style post for the entire SSG Year 6. Rather than put up a new post every week, I am going to list the week's topic here and then simply edit the post each week. The latest topic will always be at the top, under a big header that says:

WEEK 1

or whatever week it happens to be.

I'll also list all of the assignments within the thread so that we have a running catalog of what's been done during the course of the year.

Second, I'd like to strongly mention that submitting lyrics for assignments is truly only a small fraction of the learning process. Remember to join in the critiques of your fellow participants. Don't take the easy way out and say "I don't know what to say." If you're capable of thinking (a) what do I like about this (b) what might I change to make it clearer, stronger, etc., (c) what do I think of this as a song? - then you are certainly capable of making a comment. Being able to put emotions and thoughts into words is a big part of what songwriting is about. Writing critiques is a great exercise in doing this.

Third, in addition to the usual assignments I would like to post a series of "discussions" threads. I think that a lot of times we get caught up in our assignments and lyrics and I'd like to spend some time thinking about the end process. This is a songwriters group, so thinking seriously about what songs are and what songwriting is about should be a healthy part of our discussions.

Finally, as the Sunday Songwriters Group starts its sixth year, we're also kicking of a companion forum called the Sunday Composers Workshop. or "SCW," if you will. The SSG has primarily been a lyric-driven forum and the SCW will be tackling the musical aspects of songwriting. I highly encourage you to take part in this new forum as well. I'm going to try very hard to make it so that all levels of writers can participate in both areas and use both to continue in their desire to become better all-around songwriters.

By the bye, neither Nick nor Paul has set us up a page for the SCW as of today, so don't be surprised if we kind of hang out here on the SSG until the new digs are ready.

As always, feel free to write me ([email protected]) or PM me here at the forums if you've questions, comments, criticisms or suggestions. I'm very excited about the upcoming SSG Year 6 and I hope you're going to have a lot of fun.

Be seeing you on the boards.

Peace

(@raystrack)
Estimable Member

Thanks and respect for taking up the cudgels, standing in the breach or whatever metaphor fits. The plans sound great - looking forward to the time ahead.

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

ReplyQuote
(@mr-blue-eyes)
Trusted Member

I can't want to the next assignment :D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i'm going to try to participate more. it's my New Year's resolution...

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Oh Captain, my captain.....!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Browsing the forum, I keep thinking this thread is a song called 'Welcome'... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Same here! I'll hold you to it if you do the same for me! :wink:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

write a song!

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

write a song!

? ? ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry just found that amusing , coming from self confessed " Lazy Person " ... :lol: :lol:

Sorry

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote