Noble Member
Topic starter  

PAPER HEARTS

Looking for direction There's no way It's more confused
Driven to distraction Down drunken roads Hoping for the Muse
Headed for disaster There's no way To hide this bruise

When Paper Hearts catch fire

Hello all (%

Today, by chance, I happened to look at the topic for this week. Shortly after coming out of the shower, I had this. As usual, I have no idea what it's about or where it's headed.
Originally, I had "there's no way" in all the lines. Then the "driven to distraction" line came and I really liked it.
Was having a hard time with the chorus, til it "caught fire".
With that change, I feel it should be about two sensitive people who have a passionate time with each other. Although the verses seem to suggest otherwise.
Anyway, I know I've been accused of being uncompromising in the past, so I thought I'd throw this unfinished and imperfect bit out there and see where we can go with it.
All suggestions welcome.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Ken,

Kudos for getting under way on this week's assignment. :D

While this is still in the brain storming phase, consider focusing the images around fire

Looking for direction There's no way It's more confused -Driving, map, or location metaphor
Driven to distraction Down drunken roads Hoping for the Muse- -Careless or Irresponsible Driving Drinking metaphor
Headed for disaster There's no way To hide this bruise- more a driving metaphor with disaster and bruise....but how can the singer be "headed for disaster" (pre-accident), but already be "bruised" (post-accident)

So these lines all support a don't drink and drive idea more so than "about two sensitive people who have a passionate time with each other."

....but I do like the idea about "about two sensitive people who have a passionate time with each other."

so consider who the people are young, old, first time, jaded, forbidden love, forced love......what makes them paper/fragile?......where does the story pick up? before the passionate time? during? after? once or many times?

does one want more and the other not? are both burned and glad it's over?....did they burn and learn and move on or stay together?

.....maybe something about ashes......torn, crumpled, ripped, taped, folded, faded.....etc.....

Take what helps and burn the rest :wink:

I hope you continue post the development of the lyrics with us.

Thanks for sharing. :D

James

ReplyQuote