Clear all

PVC Slide?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ohblahitsme)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I was just wondering, I know it's possible to make a slide out of a glass wine bottle(Or other glass bottles), but is it possible to make a slide out of pvc pipe?

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm - anything's possible, even making a slide out of PVC piping - however, I don't think you'd get a very good sound out of one. More specifically, plastic and PVC just don't have the same resonance as glass or chrome or brass, so I don't think it'd be loud enough and I should think there'd be very little sustain.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ohblahitsme)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I was gonna make a bottleneck silde, but I don't think my parents would let me cut a wine bottle so I thought maybe there was something else I could make it out of. But if the PVC is gonna have no sustain, I might aswell buy one. Does this look good:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Glass-Guitar-Slide?sku=364057

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There aren't any better glass slides than Diamond's. That's the top end. The Rolls Royce of glass slides. But I have and sometimes use Dunlop's Pyrex tubing slides, and they work quite well, especially on electrics with fairly light strings. Don't have quite as bright a tone or as good sustain as Diamond's crystal slides. Seriously, a good bottle neck can be as good a slide as any. PVC is pretty dull sounding and lacking in sustain (I've tried it), but I was surprised at how well the cast acrylic plastic V-Slide works. It's not going to make me ditch my other glass and metal slides, but it sounds pretty good on light strings and is super light on the finger! And there are all sorts of metal options. First slide I bought, and still a great favorite, is a big heavy Dunlop #224 brass slide. I often use a Craftsman socket wrench when I'm banging hard on raunchy sounding blues. When I had super heavy (.017-.070") strings on my reso, I loved my Bigheart Bronze Bomber. Don't use it so much with the lighter strings I now favor. I have several light brass Dunlop slides that work great for electrics, including one that's shaped in a tapering concave arch to fit the steep string arch of Fender guitars. Old glass medicine bottles are an old favorite. (Duane Allman liked a Coricidin bottle.) Bottom line is, you'll collect different slides and use them for different purposes. If you want to start with that Dunlop, go for it! (And keep your eye on those Diamonds!)

BTW, making slides isn't limited to bottlenecks. I know people who've sawed sections of bicycle handlebar or frame tubing, and a guy who uses a cut off muzzle of a 10 gauge shotgun! Some wrist pins from automotive and truck engine pistons are killer heavy metal slides as they are! Some bronze bushings are quite usable. I have one I bought in the hardware section of Tractor Supply. Look around and use your imagination. There are all kinds of things you can slide with.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

everyone should have a glass Dunlop slide in their kit.
go ahead and get that one. it is fine. as you get a handle on your technique you will find yourself getting more and more slides.

PVC is too soft to make any decent sound.
go into you dad's tool kit and rip off a few large sockets.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've tried a Dunlop slide and I couldn't wear it, It was actually too big and I've looked at other slides and still have the same problem.

You can always add a little padding to the inside of the slide if you're having trouble getting one to fit - a little foam rubber, or similar, can work there.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Jetslides don't suck, but they're special slides for a special purpose. There's nothing better for quickly switching between sliding and having all fingers free for fretting.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

For their styles. There are other ways of playing.

ReplyQuote
(@jill-black)

If you have a chrome tool set that might work

ReplyQuote