Skip to content
Anyone here use a s...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone here use a slide on their middle finger?

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
15.1 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was noodling around earlier, playing blues shuffles then picking up a slide and soloing. Suddenly I had a revelation - playing those blues shuffles, I'm using my index finger for a barre, third finger for the 5th, and pinky for the 6ths and 7ths. I've always played slide with it on my ring finger - pinky's too, well, bent and damaged to put a slide on.

But I thought, what if....I put the slide on the finger that's not actually doing anything during those rhythm guitar blues shuffles, then can I go straight from rhythm guitar to slide?

Does anyone else do this?

I think I saw a video of Joe Walsh playing with a slide on his middle finger - but Joe usually (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) plays in open E, I think. I've been playing more and more in standard tuning, and I think a slide on the middle finger's the perfect solution....

It's actually the only finger I've never tried a slide on....tried lap-steel style, with the slide on my 1st finger; tried it on my ring finger, which is what I use now; and tried it on my pinky, got no control.

As always, any advice would be greatly appreciated: I can't actually try anything out for a few hours, I'm going to get some sleep (it's 1/4 to one AM here) then I'm going to have to change strings - just broke the top E on my Telecaster, not to mention the nail on my RH index finger....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

well, with lap style playing I never slide my finger into a slide, but hold it with several fingers.
my slide use on regular guitar I use the usual suspects; pinky and ring.
however, you bring up an interesting point. the middle finger is very strong and the other fingers are free to hit other non sliding notes.
if it works, why not.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 on holding the slide (tonebar) for lapsteel -- much more comfort, control and flexibility for various techniques (slant, nose)

I play standard tuning for most slide*, and it's ring finger bottleneckin' for me. already know I'm def not a pinky or index guy, but I may give middle a shot for grins.

* except on lapsteel: C6

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Does anyone else do this?

How about Bonnie Raitt?

:)

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Had a try at it earlier. Doesn't seem too hard to keep control of the slide with that finger, I think with practise it'll feel more natural. Hardest part was trying to keep the slide up and away from the frets while playing a (rhythm guitar) blues shuffle, but again, with practise, I think it's pretty doable. I'll work on it for a few days, I think, see how it goes.

Got to be advantages in being able to go from rhythm to lead, in a tuning (standard EADGBE) I'm familiar with, without having to pause to put a slide on!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You could try one of these:

http://www.disco-ball.biz/item--MC.AXM

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270362917855

http://elderly.com//accessories/items/JS15.htm

http://www.jetslide.com/

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

I do it,it just feels natural to me.I've tried to use the pinky and ring finger,but I keep goning back to the middle finger.I don't mute or play chords,just the slide.I may not play the proper way,but it works for me. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Billy Gibbons slides with his middle finger, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@cacheseeker)

Joe Walsh uses his middle finger, by the way i'm with you all the way with the middle finger slide

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I started out using the middle, then switched to ring & finished on the pinky when I got cubital tunnel several years ago......I say make use of the lil bugger.

ReplyQuote
(@nat5e)

Were in the exact same situation. I only play slide on my middle finger for the same reasons too. fretting after the slide is great, i do play in open E alot though. but yeah when my pinky became too damaged to fit a slide on i cut a hole in the wrap i was in and popped a slide on my middle finger. gotta learn sometime, might as well if its the only finger youve got haha

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I see this thread is old, but it's relevant to me because I'm just getting into using drop D for one-finger power chords. I slide them up and down the neck. I was wondering how a slide would work for this. Because my middle finger is the strongest and longest, I would use the slide there. But if I wanted to use power chords on the 5th string, I'd use the slide on my index finger for the root, and my ring finger and pinky for the 5th and octave notes. I'd still barre all the strings but hit the 5th, 4th and 3rd strings. Any takers on this idea?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@obsessed76)
Eminent Member

Not that I play a ton of slide but when I do it's middle finger. I'm pretty sure Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons, Bonnie Raitt all slide with the middle finger, so that's enough to convince me.

Anyway, they say the pinky finger is good because it frees up your hand to fret chords and such, with creative usage I find that I"m not missing much at all by keeping that middle finger dedicated to the slide.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I use my middle finger now and then. Oh. You're talking about for the slide. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Well, well......Hey Rico....

ReplyQuote