Skip to content
10 greatest slide g...

Notifications
Clear all

10 greatest slide guitarists and their preferred tuning(s)!

64 Posts
46 Users
0 Likes
146 K Views
(@wendall)
Topic starter  

I would like some feedback from some of you more knowledgable guitar players who have experience playing slide...

In your opinion, who are the 10 greatest slide guitarists, and what is their preferred tuning? (the information about their preferred tuning is essential...please only answer if you know about this aspect of their playing).

Thank you for helping me in this research!!!

Peace

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Wendall.

Duane Allman shall be definitely the contender for one of the greatest slide player. Robert Johnson, George Harrison also come to mind, when thinking of renknowed slide guitarists.

Tunings I will leave to our Slide Department. Ricochet and Steiner shall soon help. :)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@crandles)
Trusted Member

im not a slide player but dave tronzo is easily on my list of the 10 greatest slide players, and probably 10 greatest players ever too

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Amos Garrett: No precise info available - probably standard.

Johnny Winter: "Spanish tuning is: V-I-V-I-III-V, which equates to D-G-D-G-B-D in the key of G, or: E-A-E-A-C#-E in the key of A. Simply put, when you strum the guitar without fretting, it's playing a chord. Another Johnny favorite is the Vestapol tuning, which is: I-V-I-III-V-I, which equates to D-A-D-F#-A-D in the key of D, or: E-B-E-G#-B-E in the key of E. Some fine examples of these tunings in action can be heard on "Dallas" (open G), "Mean Town Blues" (open A), "Highway 61" from "Second Winter, "Mojo Boogie", "Stranger Blues" (open D), or the red hot version of "Highway 61" from "Captured Live", or "Let It Bleed" (open E). These are a lot of fun, and I encourage all guitar players to give them a try."

Derek Trucks: "I played everything in open E [E, B, E, G#, B, E]."

Bonnie Raitt: "D G D G B D -- Open G / Spanish Tuning / Taro Patch"

Rory Block: Need to buy her instructional CDs.

Robert Johnson (part of Rory's style): "The articles in GuitarOne Oct. '98 include a brief bio, tab to 'Dust My Broom,' and list of tunings. Some examples:
Standard -1/2 step
Kind Hearted Woman capo II
Phonograph Blues capo II
30-20 Blues capo I

Open A EC#AEAE
Come On In My Kitchen capo I
Terraplane Blues capo II
Cross Road Blues capo II
Walkin' Blues capo II
Last Fair Deal

Open G
Love In Vain

Drop D
Malted Milk

Em EBGEBE
Hellhound On my Trail

EC#AEBE (RJ 'mystery' tuning)
Dust My Broom
Phonograph Blues"

Ry Cooder: http://www.accentonmusic.com/tuningdetail.asp?ID=14

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

DemoEtc's given you a very good list. I'd add George Harrison to the mix as well.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

How could I have forgotten Harrison? Of all of them he's my favorite. And he had such a unique voice on slide, whereas the others (with the exception of Garrett perhaps) create or recreate a blues feeling.

Oh another just popped into mind - David Gilmour. I remember seeing that 1970s movie Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii and seeing him standing in that ampitheater playing with steel bar instead of a slide. I could be mistaken - that was a long while ago. Maybe it was a slide. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Some good ones there already - I've always enjoyed Joe Walsh's playing, too. He uses open E a lot, as does Derek Trucks off Demo's list. Another slide guitarist I've always admired is Manny Charlton, from the band Nazareth. I think he uses mostly open G. George Thorogood's another great slide player who uses open G a lot. George Harrison, I think used standard EADGBE tuning quite a lot when playing slide. Jimmy Page used a variety of tunings, although I think a lot of his slide playing is in DADGAD, although I may be mistaken.

If I think of more I'll let you know.....oh and welcome to Guitarnoise!

:D :D :D

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Eric Clapton is a great slide guitarist, very similar style to George Harrison his good friend.

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top is a great slide guitarist too. I think he used Open E, A, D, and G especially. E and A are very common in Rock, D and G are especially common to Country slide.

And even John Lennon could play a little slide. Most people never hear it, but listen to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and you can hear John playing awesome slide behind his own voice. It is so good most people don't even hear it, blends with his voice perfect. Listen to the slide come in at :40 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButE5TzjoYw

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

That's right. And JL also did a bit of lap steel:

For You Blue

(I'd always assumed it was regular slide guitar back there.)

ReplyQuote
(@jonny-guitar)
Trusted Member

Ben Harper, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKW0fHWPpo4

David Lindley is pretty awesome, too. He played a lot of great tracks with Jackson Browne.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Actually, it's Harrison on "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". Lennon played some piano on it, but you need to listen to the remastered version on Yellow Submarine Songtracks to pick it up in the mix. Harrison overdubbed the slide.

Lennon, in addition to his lap steel on "For You Blue" played some slide (on a National) on Sometime in New York City:

on "John Sinclair" if memory serves.

And, yes, absolutely, how could we forget David Lindley?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sonny Landreth -- certainly in the top ten

Jeff Beck -- known for unusual use of the slide to beautiful effect. See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLk0l3X7e6c

The first half is standard, the next 25% is w/o slide and the final minute+thirty is a bit more unusual. It looks as if he's tapping with the slide. Standard tuning.

Leo Kottke -- not sure about top ten status, but has produced some notable acoustic (of course) 6- and 12-string slide pieces

Anyone remember Lowell George? His slide playing defined Little Feat's early sound.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@colin-rp)
Eminent Member

Ok I mostly browse but I think can add something here.
Lowell george played in open A that's g tuned up a tone.
Rory Gallagher mostly g or d for acoustic but I believe he just played electric slide in standard.
Muddy Waters - standard.
Duane Allman open E.
Mick Taylor played multiple tunings is said to prefer standard because of the influence of Earl Hooker - whom I've never listened to but must've been good.
Elmore James - I'm not sure but listen to George Thorogood who really emulates his style. I think maybe open g.
Ron Wood did cool work with the Faces like on Gasoline Alley. No idea what tuning he uses.
keith Richards G
Warren Haynes is a great slide player who plays in standard.
Paul Barrere who plays slide in Little Feat now plays in G. (I think)

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

You got this far without mention of Elmore James? Yikes.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5