Clear all

recovering a hoarse voice

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

im starting to get a bit sick and the fact that i spent last night in a smokey bar doesnt help. I've gone hoarse and I'd say my singing voice is at about 60% of normal right now as far as quality goes. The problem is that Im playing a show tommorow and have to be singing....

Anyone have any cures for a hoarse throat that'll maybe get me outta the woods by tommorow night?

-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Gargle with warm saltwater, keep hydrated. A honey and water solution sprayed in your throat before singing. These may help but if your ill, time is the only true cure.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Tim. Gargle with the warm saltwater. Try not to talk at all until your gig.

You can do some stretching exercises. Yawn. I know that sounds silly, but it really works. It stretches the vocal chords, especially helpful to hit high tones. So do some big wide yawns. But of course, don't hurt yourself. :D

I can really relate to this. I have had lots of trouble with my voice in the last 5 years. I think I damaged my voice severely at one point. For several months I could barely talk above a whisper. Since that time I have been very careful to take care of my voice. I try never to talk loud or yell whatsoever. I gargle with warm water a lot. I drink lots of water everyday. That is very important to keep the vocal chords flexible.

Examine how you sing. You may be pushing. You are not supposed to push when you sing. That was one of my problems. I have learned to get up real close on the mic and sing naturally. This will help a lot.

Take care of your voice or you can develop some real problems.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@noel-iu)
Estimable Member

Hey!
Just Boil an Onion 10 or 15 minutes and drink that water... you'll see! (Of course... drink when it's hot, but not boiling! LoL)
It tastes like "arggggggg... " but it softens your voice, specially if alcohol and smoke is the cause of it
Hope it helps!

http://www.freewebs.com/noel-iu

http://noel-iu.dmusic.com/

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

You could always leave it untreated and have a Tom Waits voice :wink:
A hoarse voice is cause by swelling and polyps on the edges of your vocals chords, caused by pummelling them with air constantly, key is to reduce the swelling, like putting a heating pad on an aching back; stay away from dairy products and drink lots of tea, soup works really well too.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote