Clear all

head voice

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lacoocoo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I still don't really know what head voice is i don't know how to do it or what it sounds like could anyone tell me what it sounds like or explain it to me or give me any information on it .. thanks

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

Think of it this way, if you go to sing a middle A you are singing from your chest to get the depth. if you sing a high A you will probably go falsetto, unless you are chris martin...if you go for the A between those two, in the 6th octave i think it is you will use the top of your chest or as you put it your head voice. you would find it difficult to sing that note from the bottom of you diaphragm. try it and you'll get what i mean. the sound comes from the top back of your throat. that is your head voice.

hope this helps

ReplyQuote
(@lacoocoo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i don't really get what u mean when u say sing at the top of ur chest i know its hard to explain... say i'm singing normally is a song and then i try to go up to a higher note it feels like there is something stopping me from singing higher that is in my noise kinda (cant really explain)

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I used to really envy my friend, because he could make this wicked-high squealing sound, didn't understand what it was, till I started asking the same question you are.

The head voice, as cole referred to it, is classicaly called "falsetto". Nick Drake, Thom Yorke, both of them have very pronounced falsettos, and in certain songs like Drake's "Black Dog", or Radiohead's "High and Dry", you can hear it very strongly.

if you play guitar, play the 3rd fret of your high e string, that's a G. If you try to sing that same note, you will be forced into your falsetto, it can be really hard to harness, and very few people can make a good tone with it, I've been trying for years, and I still can't get a nice clear tone out of my falsetto. considering you're not comfortable with your head voice, you will need to allow your voice to crack as you continue singing higher, it might be embarassing, but it's very necessary, and it will help you feel the diffference.

A good exercise is to start singing on an "a" vowel at a low pitch, and slowly slide up to the top of your range, until your voice feels like it can't go any higher, or is breaking, or "cracking". Then just continue singing through the crack in yuor voice.

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

as far as i know a head voice is not actually falsetto, falsetto is higher. chest voice is from your diaphragm, really a low chest/high stomach voice you will prob use on the low notes, head voice for the notes higher than that when the voice comes from the back of your throat not your diaphragm. falsetto...hmmm...how to put it :S ... i find when i sing with head voice it feels like im singing out, wheras when i reach for the high falsetto notes it feels like i sing inward, up towards the inside/back top of my throat, god its hard to explain.....even if you dont know what it is you will probably be doing it anyway :P

if you do the common scale: doe, ray, me, so, far, la, tee, doe (c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c) you will feel the three voices

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Not to be confused with the voices in one's head-that's something else :wink:

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

yeah thats sometimes a sideeffect from the smokes and whisky youve been using to get your gravelly singing voice :P comes about the same time as the sudden realization that you never knew you were such a good singer after 4 or 5 drinks!

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Right on- a couple of belts before you belt it out! No wonder they have karaoke in bars....:wink:

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote