Clear all

Question on Segovia recordings.

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am fairly new to guitar, and I am trying to listen to as much and as varied used guitar recordings that I can lay my hands on.

But already, I seem to have purchased some duplicate material. In particular, The Segovia Collection Volume2 on MCA classics, and The Segovia Collection Volume One on Deutsche Grammophon both containRodrigo's Fantasia para un Getilhombre and Torroba's Castles of Spain. It is only in the liner notes that I can find the information that these were recorded in May 1958.

In the future, I would like to not buy duplicates. How can I avoid this without driving myself crazy?

I have seen his recordings on other labels too, but I did not recognize the label names, so I passed them by. Which labels are trustworthy?

Right now, I am thinking of sticking to these two collections, since I think it a fair assumption that no duplication will occur within a collection. Is this a good strategy?

What I REALLY need to do is sit down and spend some time listening, instead of shopping for music. lol

(@alangreen)

Segovia's output has been subjected to what must be the world's worst version control. It is very difficult to avoid duplication.

The 1969 recording of Castles of Spain is the definitive Segovia recording, but he only recorded 8 of the 15 movements. For a superb rendition get the full recording by Ana Vidovoc on NAXOS. Segovia premiered the Fantasia and the May 1958 recording is the one you want.

There is a good Segovia box set on Deutsche Gramophone, for whom Segovia did much of his best work. It includes the Fantasia and the Castles of Spain work you've already got.

We don't play classical guitar the same way we did in Segovia's early career. These days we play music slower, within our skillsets, and with far less rubato. For superb classical guitar work without duplication, buy albums by David Russell. If you're willing to put up with the odd track featuring single note melodies on the guitar accompanied by a full orchestra, then John Williams is your man (he's great, but experiments outside the classical guitar box a lot more than other musicians). Again, with John Williams, it's not always easy to avoid duplication.

If you're up for a classical guitar radio show check out Classical Guitar Alive on radio KMFA in Austin, Texas. There's also a podcast of the last couple of shows at http://cjsf.ca/pguide/grid/description.php?ID=116

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

Mostly, I want to get a good feel for what the guitar is capable of. Of my two guitars, I prefer to play on my nylon string guitar. So, I feel I owe myself the pleasure of being acquainted with the classical guitar repetiore.

Right now, I am focusing on used cds I can buy in the under $5 range. But I am aware this may be a false economy. I do not have a well trained ear, hoping to develop my listening skills along the way, too.

ReplyQuote
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I do own a David Russell cd, Aire Latino. I am going to spin it right now!

Thank you for the recommendations.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

If you're up for a classical guitar radio show check out Classical Guitar Alive on radio KMFA in Austin, Texas. There's also a podcast of the last couple of shows at http://cjsf.ca/pguide/grid/description.php?ID=116

This is a fantastic link, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks so much for posting this.

ReplyQuote