Guitar Aerobics -Hal Leonard

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
16.5 K Views
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

WOW. I just purchased this book last night and gave it a spin. It is comprised of guitar licks and exercises from Beginner to Advanced. It has a lesson for each day of the week and covers 52 weeks of lessons. The exercises vary in focus. For instance, one may work on skipping stings or alternate picking while the next focuses on legato or arpeggios.
The theory is that you have an exercise for each day of the week and it is a different focus each time. I started on the first three exercises last night and really enjoyed the workout.

Although I've not gotten past the first few pages, it seems to be very well written. The book comes with 2 CDs. (I've not yet listened to either) One that has examples of the exercises, the other contains real drums that you can play along with. Thought that to be a clever idea. Instead of a metronome, you have a real artificial drummer to jam with whilst doing your exercises.

Based on what I know so far, seems like a pretty good book.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The book I purchased has a different cover but it is by Troy Nelson. So it very well could be the same book. Here's a link to the one I own. Guitar-Aerobics-Book-CD-Package
I did notice that there were two versions of the book. The other did not contain the CDs. May also be a but older.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Thanks, Blueline. I went ahead and ordered it yesterday. It seemed like a good buy for just $14.

I checked out the Hal Leonard website and the ISBN is the same despite the different covers so hopefully mine arrives with the CD. I never buy from Amazon because their postage cost to Australia is often more than the price of the book and TBD dispatches by free express airmail.

http://www.halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?itemid=695946&order=0&catcode=00&refer=search&type=product&keywords=guitar+aerobics+

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Hi, I bought the book a few months back as well (sight unseen - liked the title). I like the way the exercises use similar chords, fingering and patterns throughout the chapters and how the difficulty increases. For each exercise, a recommended practice speed is listed, generally starting around 40. This is great as it reinforces the fact that it's immensely useful for learning new skills at very low speeds. The tips for each exercise are quite good too, even if a bit short for inexperienced players. For a beginner, it'd be useful to have a teacher working with you through the chapters to get the most out of it. Overall though, it's a useful tool to increase your technical skills. A beginner (like me) might struggle initially but there are enough exercises throughout the book that allow you pick and choose.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I went ahead and bought this book (or actually redeemed some Amazon.com coupons for it). This is my second week into it now; I understand about the first third is classified as beginner material. Now I have been playing for almost 5 years and have taken lessons in lead guitar for to of those yesrs. However, some of these exercises from weeks one and two, when I get up to the faster tempos, sure do give me some challenges. I can do them all quite easily on the first four or five tempos, and some for all the tempos, but others, well....

I was just wondering how others who have used this resource approach this. Do you try to learn each exercise at the fastest tempo before moving on? Or once you think you have it fast enough- say at the 5th or 6th, do you move on? Me, so far I am following the schedule- one exercise each day, and as long as I have it down at a moderate tempo, not necessarily the fasteset, I say that's good enough for me and I move on.

I do notice that the demos on CD 1 are not at the fastest tempo; they are probably around halfway.

Otherwise, i am having fun with these and think the book will be great at helping to develop technique over a broad spectrum and to maybe also have some licks that can be learned and put to use.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@domydarko)

I do really like the look of this book. My only complaint is that as a complete beginner, especially to "lead" guitar techniques it would be helpful to have some guidance on which left hand fingers to use for various techniques.

For example. The very first exercise in the book. The alternate picking lick on low E. Which left hand fingers are best to use as you progress up the neck? (do you just use your first finger or go through them all?)

Also, the first string bending exercise. Should the first bend (fret 8, b string) be done with my little finger?

To someone who knows what they're talking about these question are probably very stupid but this book claims to be aimed at beginners.

Any help with those two above questions would be great :-)

Cheers,
Dom

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I got this book about a month ago too, and it does seem very good.

Although I've not progressed to the week 2 exercises yet - i wanted to spend some time getting the first week half decent first, but that said I don't use it every day. Just when I'm stuck thinking what shall I try.

Dom - I'm sure someone more expereince will answer your queries, but here's my thoughts...

One the first exercise I use a commination of middle and third finger...

I'd prob use my index finger for the string bending...

I've not be playing that long - so that might not be the correct way....

ReplyQuote
(@pandatx)

I just received this book today and to be honest I find it completing confusing. Instructions are practically non-existent. Since the title said that it started at "beginners" I thought that it would help me but I don't see how if I cannot understand what I am seeing. I am just beginning to learn guitar and have a DVD course that I am learning with. Also, my husband can play and I'm hoping that he will be able to help me with this book. I guess I'm wondering if there is anywhere else to point me where I could get some fingering exercises with some better explanation?

Thanks so much for any help!
Amy

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Amy

And welcome to Guitar Noise.

I've not tried the Hal Leonard book so I can't answer for it. But I can recommend Hemme Luttjeboer's "Complete Idiot's Guide to Guitar Exercises." He does a great job of explaining each exercise as he goes along.

And I'm sure that those here at the Forums who've used Hal Leonard's Guitar Aerobics will be more than happy to walk you through the steps.

Looking forward to seeing around on the boards.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@pandatx)

Thank you so much for the reply! I really appreciate that. I will definitely look into the book that you are suggesting.

Thanks again so much.

Amy

ReplyQuote
(@fendi)

Im new here and for sure i will look into these books as well, their price is affordable, cannot go wrong.
Thanx

ReplyQuote
(@spaing)

Can someone help me please ? I bought this book along with 2 CDs few months ago. I lost the CD 1 after moving the house. Can you please provide me when I can down load that CD ? I don't want to buy the whole set again. Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote