Your style's heroes!

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@liontable)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,
I've never been a big music listener until not very long ago. I find this to be quite troublesome when looking for songs to play which I like, especially considering I didn't even like rock before I started playing guitar. With playing I really started getting into it, but I pretty much only know the most famous of the famous and the really popular pop songs. So here I come to you guys:

Show me your greatest artists, in whatever genre you like. I started actually discovering blues since I started playing and have really broadened my interest (from nigh nothing to something). Might be fun to rediscover some dinosaurs you'd forgotten or maybe find some new band you didn't know yet.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Recently I am very interested on jazz (again). I bought some dvd: Pat Metheny and George Benson. And also some cd: Pat Metheny, George Benson, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, and also Charlie Parker and Bill Evans.

I already had music from these musicians but it is a good moment to update my collection.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm an old fogey so I like the early guitar stuff.
Lately, I'm working on this version of All Along the WatchTower . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBukyMJ8EM&feature=related

(I think he has his E,A, and D strings wound the wrong way around the tuning peg)

Dave Matthews does another nice version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2mW4WBnBnI

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

In the Rock side of my split personality:

I reckon Exhibit A in the debate over the existence of the supreme being has to be Alex Lifeson - still knocking out great material for Rush after not far short of 40 years, and there's a new studio album recorded and penciled in for release in the new year.

Then I reckon Exhibit B has to be Slash - the solo album is sublime, and just about everyone I teach over the age of 14 can play the intro to Sweet Child of Mine.

Supporting evidence: John Frusciante's work with Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and Nikko Lindstrom's work with HIM (especially the "Venus Doom" album.)

But, as final and absolute proof of the existence of God - I give you .... Brian May, and the live versions of "Brighton Rock."

And with my Classical Guitar hat on:

I've seen John Williams twice. Phenomenal. It's like listening to the recording - in fact, if I didn't know better.....

But, as the all round leading exponent of the nylon string, check out Grammy Winning David Russell.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i got pretty into robert johnson for a while.
i'd say paco de lucia's one of the guitar greats out there.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Blues...
Robert Johnson
Hubert Sumlin (Howlin Wolf's guitar player)
Freddie King
Albert King
Jonny Lang for more modern blues-funk-soul stuff (great voice and the records I've heard stand up to repeated listens)

Jazz guitar...
Pat Martino
Jim Hall - deceptively simple sounding, but very very beautiful, and the guy has chords like you wouldn't believe
Ted Greene - another harmony genius, and he has a lot of books and (now) youtube vids and lessons on his site
Howard Roberts - another jazzer with lots of teaching material out there, really open guy. Have only just got into listening to him tho, so the nod is more for his teaching work.
Jimmy Raney - I love this guy, again it's quite simple a lot of the time, but it just sounds soooooo cool. Check out his tune "Minor" for a classic example
Joe Pass - I'm not big on him, tbh, but you gotta check him out if you like jazz
We Montgomery - cooler than cool
Grant Greene - also cooler than cool
Mike Walker - my guitar tutor, but I'm also a big fan. Had stints with key jazzers like Tal Farlow and George Russell, and is currently touring and recording an album with Steve Swallow of Ladies In Mercedes fame (great tune).

Jazz in general.....
Freddie Hubbard - he of the funky trumpet. Red Clay is such a great album.
Tom Harrell - another funky trumpeter. I'm liking Prana Dance.
Christian McBride - awesome current bassist
Ron Carter - still going strong, but a mainstay of major jazz records from the 60s onwards. This guy is AWESOME. So so musical.
The usual suspects....Sonny Rollins, Thelonius Monk,Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Cannonball Adderly, Lester Young, etc, etc.

Rock.....
Jeff Beck - his Live At Ronnie Scotts Dvd is cracking footage of a recent performance.
John Frusciante of Red Hot Chill Peppers
Arctic Monkeys - some good tunes in there
Nirvana - again, just some good tunes
Jeff Buckley - great voice (tho I prefer his father's voice) and some truly brilliant songs

Folk/acoustic
Chris Whitley - his Dirt Floor album is fantastic. Just him singing and playing guitar into one mic. Very lo fi sound, but great result.
Michael Hedges
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks is one of my all time favourite albums
Tim Buckley's Happy/Sad album
Tommy Emmanuel

How's that for now? :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

MY style's heroes? Do I have a style? :?

Ry Cooder covers most of what I would like to do on steel-string and electric guitars. On bass, I love Steve Swallow's tone and taste, and Bootsy's audacity, although my own style is probably more influenced by Rocco Prestia.

There are tons of other musicians I love, but as far as my own playing, those guys are primary.

In terms of composition, I love the varied musical dialects of the mid-20th Century: Howard Hansen, Anton Webern, Norman Dello Joio, Igor Stravinsky, even Morton Gould. The so-called "minimalists" -- Glass and Adams -- speak to me as well. (Track down Adams' opera "Dr. Atomic" if you want a mind-bending experience. The Metropolitan Opera version from 2008 is available streaming at their website.)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

On bass, I love Steve Swallow's tone and taste,

I almost saw him play in Manchester last week, he's in a band with my guitar tutor, Mike Walker, and they're recording an album together right now. I think they have plans to tour again over the next year, including an American tour. I love Swallow's playing and compositions. Gutted I had to miss it, but I was flying out to America the very next morning to go to the Riverside Jam at Chez Laz, so I had to prioritise. :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

isn't it everybody's? i've never heard another like it.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

isn't it everybody's? i've never heard another like it.

ummm.....errrrr.....blushingly, shamefacedly admits to never having heard the whole album. Sorry. Trying to think of a track of Van's that I don't like, though, and drawing a blank....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've always been a voracious music listener. I can never - since being a tiny tot - remember a radio NOT being on. Like everyone else of my generation, I was just starting school when the Beatles made it big - and EVERYONE knew the latest Beatles hit. Top Of The Pops started in 1964; that was one of the most-watched programmes for years. My early musical years were spent listening to the Beatles, Stones, Manfred Mann, Hollies, Kinks, Cliff & the Shadows and the Who; then there were American bands like the Byrds and the Beach Boys. Didn't get Dylan till much later; bit over my head as a 7-year-old! There was also soul music - Motown was always big over here.

So, from being a little kid, I grew up with pop music on all the time. Fast forward a few years to 1970 or so...by this time I'm 13, got my own record player (a Dansette with auto changer!) and radio, one or the other's always on. Singles are about 40 pence - my weekly pocket money's 50p, but I've got a paper-round as well that brings a pound and change in. Also got a friday job on the market working on a sweet stall (helping him set up and pack away in term-time, working all day during the holidays. And the sweet-stall's next door to the record stall! I strike up a friendship with the stall owner; he sells ex-juke box singles for half-price, and guess who's his biggest customer? Heh-heh!

He's playing music all day; now I'm hearing a lot of music for the first time. Album tracks by the likes of Cream, the Doors, Led Zep, Sabbath, Dylan - stuff that doesn't get played on mainstream radio. I was a bit young for pirate radio; couldn't get a signal. All I listened to was Radio One and Luxemburg at night. Around the same time, along comes glam rock - have to admit, I always loved T.Rex and Slade. Mott The Hoople, Bowie, Roxy Music, Elton John and even Rod Stewart were all lumped under that heading, but they were all good ROCK artists as well. Got me into harder rock bands like Nazareth, Status Quo, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and so on.

Those are the artists I listened to in my formative years; my tastes haven't changed much since. Disco went in one ear and straight out the other; rap didn't even get that far. I still love the oldies - probably enjoy playing along to them more than anything. The one thing all those bands had in common? Great guitarists - to my ears, anyway. It was the guitar sounds of the Beatles and the Shadows that caught my attention in the first place - and I've loved guitars ever since.

Since joing guitarnoise, I've got more into blues and a little country - always liked the Eagles, and the country-rock of Creedence - but it's still rock'n'roll that pretty much defines my listening spectrum.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Might be fun to rediscover some dinosaurs you'd forgotten .

I rediscovered Bob the Dinosaur on Dilbert...Turns out they were never extinct.

My style heros have to be Green Day, Poison, ZZ Top and Jerry Reed.

ReplyQuote