Notifications
Clear all

Which Marshall amp should I get?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@eric341)
Topic starter  

I am trying to decide what kind of amplifier to get. I want an amp that's good for punk rock, that's really all I am into. I play a lot of Green Day songs, and Sum 41 songs and even Good Charlotte. I know that I am going to get a Marshall amp because that's the kind of amp I see Green Day and Sum 41 using in their videos. Does anyone know what kind of Marchall Amp is good for punk rock? And I would like a combo amp, I don't want to buy 2 parts, like a head and speakers. The link below shows the amp that I was thinking about getting. Is it good for punk rock??
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-ma-series-ma100c-100w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

BJA uses a 1959 SLP Modded Marshall Plexi..........

I doubt you will be able to afford one though so go try the amp you are looking at and see if you like it.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK... so Im going to go out on a limb and say.... Its punk rock you like/want? play what you have/can get! Thats the point of Punk IMHO. Play what you like, how you like it. That being said.. Those guys are making good coin, and can afford to pick the best, and mod it also... So finding a off the shelf marshall that will have the sound is going to be tough. Ill have to recomend just playing a bunch of them, and see what one sounds the best to you.

I gotta say though that looks like a pretty cool amp. ive never heard of that one before. Where do you play? In the house, or do you play out? I ask becouse 100wt is a LOUD amp. To get those tubes working your realy going to have to crank it pretty good. Not sure running that amp at low volumes will get what you want. Sorry I didnt look... but if you play in the house, or small gigs, might want to see if they have a smaller vertion of that amp. That way you can get that more "cranked amp" tone and still keep your hearing, friends, famley, and neighbors.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Marshall Class 5? Nice sounding little combo for less then the amp in the link. Again, its a tube amp so you can crank it and get that good power section spank - but 100watts is severe! I've played 3,000 seat theaters and had my 50 watters attenuated. Chances are, in a live situation you'll be mic'ed or could be mic'ed.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! The Class 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when funds open up.... she will be mine!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

For punk even a solid state amp should be OK. The MA series is a budget/entry level Marshall tube amp and not the one the bands you mention use. If you simply want it to say Marshall save some green then get the MG. If you do want tube sound though this is a good amp. I almost bought one. Got my Marshall Haze instead but those are few and far between now and more a classic rock sound.

I also agree ...... 100 watts is alot for the common gigging musician. 50 watts is more than enough for bars, clubs, ect. That said I have several tube amps, 5 watts, 30 watts, 40 watts, 50 watts and 100 watts. Got it covered. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Digital!!!!

I play a 1 seat home project studio and it fills it up nicely with the volume on 3.5 . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just kidding...sort of. Lots of Marshall tones on them digitals like Boss GT100 and Eleven Rack please many a guitar player who play much louder and harder than I do. Line 6, too, from what I understand. Having said that, though, I love me a nice tube amp in in the room. It's sooooo nice to have. My tastes run to Fender, though, so I'm no serious help. Just don't kill your ears. This is something I know a lot about, and not just because I'm an old dude.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Joe strummer used a Roland Jazz Chorus, amongst other stuff. Why not explore the path less followed?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

My teacher has one of those Roland Jazz Chorus amps and it's a really great clean amp. Don't know how it would handle distortion but I'm sure you could throw a pedal in front of it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Isn't the Cube modelled off of the 'Jazz? That cube I had years ago could rattle windows on the heavy settings (disortions,etc) at very low volumes. I bet the real thing in a 2X12 and a nice pedal would be something else. :twisted: :twisted:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

.. Its punk rock you like/want? play what you have/can get! Thats the point of Punk IMHO. Play what you like, how you like it.

+1

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote