Skip to content
Which Classical Gui...

Notifications
Clear all

Which Classical Guitar Is Best For A Beginner?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@daza152)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi can you help me decide please this is for my 10 year old daughter, I would like to choose between these 3 guitars as they are on auction and closing on monday......

1) Yamaha G-50-A It is in very good condition and 38 years old. $50NZ

2) Dean Espana It also in very good condition, and quality made. $51NZ

3) Yamaha C-40 Very good condition, Price at $81NZ

Can you help? would any inparticular be good or bad? Thanks.

Daza.

(@alangreen)

I've always found that you cannot go wrong with Yamaha.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

If you can find a Yamaha classical in a 3/4 size,it will be perfect.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Really, some of those cheap 3/4 size classicals sound pretty good!

We used to have a pedantic classical guitarist on my other favorite board who often reminded us that the instrument is a classic guitar. You can play classical guitar music on it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@size9)
Eminent Member

I agree. I'd go with the Yamaha. I've played them and I'm thinking of trading in my Guild for one.

Learn How To Play Guitar With Today's Top FREE Videos. Learn To Play Guitar, See Reviews, Shop Beginner Guitars and much more!....

Interested in Guest Blogging For GuitarZonline? Apply @ our Guitar Guest Blog!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 on Yammy for a student guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@boynamedsuse)

Please seriously consider playing all four. With a classical guitar, tone makes a bigger difference and is easier to hear than with an electric. (You can't make up for shortcomings using an amp and pedals.) I started with a "cheapie" and then when I got old enough to save money for a good guitar, I went into a store and asked for recommendations. They let me try a dozen guitars, but one was in the same price range as the others even though it was used and had a tone that was noticeably better. As it turns out, it was easier to play as well. I took it.

ReplyQuote
(@daza152)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice guys, I was pretty keen on the first yamaha I listed, being 38 years old is that a good thing or a bad thing? looks beautiful, just missing a coiuple of strings, but I'd put all new strings on anyway, no signs of wear and tear anywhere. What do you think about that?

Thanks daza.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I have been playing my Yamaha C-70 classical guitar (See it in my videos) and it plays like a dream.

I play just about everything on it.

I think C-40 is same as C-70. You can't go wrong with Yamaha. Just make sure that the action is not very high or you might have to lower it yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

another yamaha vote here, but play them if you can and let your ears decide.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Thanks for the advice guys, I was pretty keen on the first yamaha I listed, being 38 years old is that a good thing or a bad thing? looks beautiful, just missing a coiuple of strings, but I'd put all new strings on anyway, no signs of wear and tear anywhere. What do you think about that?

Thanks daza.

If it feels and sounds good to you then it is a good guitar.

If it has a solid top then it will have played in over the years and the sound may continue to mature; if it has a laminate top, then how good it sounds now is how good it will sound for ever. Ultimately, I think you can probably spend with confidence and then if/ when you're in the upgrade market in a couple of years' time you'll know exactly what you want from a nylon string guitar.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote