Skip to content
Where Do You Want T...

Notifications
Clear all

Where Do You Want To Go With Your Music?

41 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I am an aspiring #3. But if that did not happen, I would be happy staying as a 2 forever.

Which means that I am a solid #2 who hopes to one day play in a small, no name band. This band would have the perfect members and playing front of the perfect audience. One that is absolutely into every song we play. One that digs our version of each song and does not mind that our sets would skips genres like a 19 yr old switching lanes on the highway while driving a Mini Cooper. We will play the Carlos Santana secret chord progression as an intro to each song and everyone will love us. :roll:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

At this point in my life, I chose #1. At other times I could have chosen #3, #4, #5 &/or #7.

Music has been a part of my life always. Dad was a guitarist, and I started playing instruments when I was 10 (clarinet in the school band, piano at 11, guitar at 13...). I played in bands when I was younger (the first 10-12 years that I played guitar, before I gave it up for 20+). In the interim, when I wasn't playing myself, I worked with bands in various capacities, from running live sound to bookings to promotions, etc... I also worked in a recording studio for about 4 years. When I started playing again, I started playing with bands once I got my chops back up. Now that my health won't really allow for that anymore I play for my own pleasure. I occasionally still sit in with the last band I played with but I won't do live gigs anymore. And, if there's an open jam somewhere nearby you can bet I'll probably be there! But I still feel the need to be involved with musicians, so now I'm in the process of building websites for friends bands and have just started recording two local bands (mostly for demos, partly for website content). I'm sure that the rest of my life will involve music, too. And I intend to participate, in whatever capacity I can, until my mind goes completely and I can't remember what a guitar is!

:lol:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Exciting times for me! I'm moving from the #1 to #2 slot.
My family always spent Christmas night singing carols and dancing. With the death of my parents, that tradition's died out. It's something everyone's missed.
So when my sister and her husband got close to buying a summer place, I declared I was going to learn a handful of songs well enough to sing and play and we were going to have a singsong. The place closes tomorrow. :shock:
So singsong night is maybe 3 weeks off. I'm halfway ready; I've got 4 songs in pretty good (OK recognizable) shape and am throughly enjoying the process.
So any recommends on 3 to 6 chorders that don't tax you too much in the vocal department are greatly appreciated.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I am also moving from #1 to #2.
Have been playing for myself quite a lot for the last 5 years and developed a great deal.

Last summer I did a small living room concert for my parents while they were visiting. My mother was shocked in a good way because she'd forgotten that I'd taken guitar lessons 30 years ago and had been thinking of my sister's family as "the musical ones." (Sister has voice training and sang at my wedding, Brother-in-law plays violin in a quartet for the last 20 years, neices play piano & violin respectively and sing and dance in many different venues)

I was pretty nervous in front of the video camera.

I'm hoping to stun them all with a wide reportoire, some flashy fingerstyle pieces, and great onstage poise.

OK, the truth is that I'll buy an inexpensive guitar while there (to leave for future trips and not hassle with carryon for the flight out) and will possibly amaze them when sitting around the campfire at the annual family RV campout trip. Since I'll be the only one with an instrument I'll have a captive audience. Hopefully the guitar won't be thrown in the fire :-)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

#1 I want to learn an instrument for improving my knowledge on music (theory, perception, etc.), I love music, all styles. I did it some years ago with piano and classical music. To me #1 is enough, I already have too many projects and troubles in my professional life.

Or perhaps #2, as said TwistedLefty: "assuming I have friends"! LOL!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've always claimed that #1 was it, but now I'm leaning towards #2. I really doubt I'll want to be a #3. I've already put one interest into a profession. Never again. I know the value of serperating the two worlds. If perfect senarios popped up though, who knows. Probably could not because of the ear and head thing.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Why can you only choose one? I'm at 1, want to be 2 or 3. And if i was good enough for the rest i'd be delighted.

Jack

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm at 2 I'd like to be at 3 but not in a rush. The others are really not a reasonable expectation so they aren't on my radar screen.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why can you only choose one? I'm at 1, want to be 2 or 3. And if i was good enough for the rest i'd be delighted.

Jack

In that case I'm at 1.5 (just a hobby but I like to play for people online :P) and I'd like to end up at 7. And in a few years, if that's not too much to ask. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I once saw something on TV where a guy played music on the side but had to make ends meet so he did beta testing for a video game company. After a while he said to his superiors that he wasn't a beta tester, he was a musician. He ended up writing and recording some of the music for that game developer. He now owns his own sound engineering company and does a lot of the music for many games. That is something that I'd like to do.

I doubt it would happen but there thread is where I want to go and not where I'd actually end up. My friend asked me if I had considered writing scores for films, not because I am good at it but he was into movies and it was something to think about. I want to get some more chops with the guitar but not too much. Mostly because I can't be bothered with it if my goal is writing music. Learning other instruments isn't something I've thought of much. It has come full circle for me. I played the trumpet as a kid and am now playing trumpet scores on my guitar. I'm trying to get into as much theory and history as I can and start writing my own stuff.

It's a dream of mine but I'd settle for playing in a local band..............well that's a lie, I've never been one to settle or compromise.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

He ended up writing and recording some of the music for that game developer. He now owns his own sound engineering company and does a lot of the music for many games. That is something that I'd like to do.

Hi,

I had some chats with a guy I met on a piano forum who is doing just that. As part of his goal to make his way as a composer he got involved with the fan-made game scene and did scores and sound effects for some games. I don't imagine that there was any money in it - but that's the way to get started in anything - just DO it however you can, and get to know people who are involved in the scene. If you stick at it long enough, and can produce the goods, then eventually you come to the notice of somebody who can connect you to the next step up.

There's a big online community of game makers. One of my nephews got a small team together from people around the world, on the net, and they made mods and small games. Now he's finishing up a course that should take him into a more mainstream side of the industry. It's OK to think big, but be prepared to start small - above all just start.... :wink:

This is the site for the young composer guy (well, young to me...), who also hangs out at the pianoworld forum. Nikolas Sideris There's some of his music there, plus links to some small game stuff you can download that has some of his work in them too.

Good luck with making your dreams work out.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@wabbit)

Isn't it interesting how the guitar brings out the person within the person?
You got to respect the power of the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Thanks to everybody for some great replies. I hope we can keep the discussions going for a bit. Lots I'd like to reply to, but I'm out the door in about 1 minute, so maybe later....

Interesting to see that there's quite a spike around the aim of just playing locally, perhaps with a group of friends, and enjoying yourself. Playing in some kind of group or band always seemed out of range for me - starting so late - but it was easier to achieve than I thought. There's a ton of other people out there, just like us, who are happy to make music in a friendly atmosphere without being too picky about it all being perfect or pro standard.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I bet out demographics have something to do with the outcome(s) of this question and poll. Just breezing back, it looks like the grayed out, attractive and close to being elderly stud-muffin types just want to kick back and enjoy themselves. (I'm the exception, being that I'm one of the young guys wanting to kick back.... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I've just gotten to that age where things look differently to me. It's not my world anymore. I'm just riding along.......and enjoying myself as much as I can. (.....and even more when I recover from this head & ear surgery thing)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

#6 sounds good to me.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3