Notifications
Clear all

Where do you keep your guitar tuner?

33 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I have an addiction to buying tuners and have more than a dozen so I can always find at least one of them. :D

Oh dear, I think you're right.... It's going to have to be the 'Reading Glasses Strategy' for me isn't it? :o

:lol: :lol:
I do that with pencils at work.
I buy a bag of 50 of the cheap mechanical pencils, and over time I allow them migrate to the various places where I last used them and set them down.
After a few weeks, everywhere that I've ever needed a pencil has one or 2 on some nearby random horizontal surface.

The only flaw in my system is that others regularly come into my work area knowing that there's always pencils lying about for the taking. :?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

My tuner presently resides in the land of the dead, owing to a faulty wire. I'm hoping an injection of electricity from the wall when I get my new power supply will remedy things though. If not, Vic might have to find his tuner by the weekend!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I don't know about losing tuners, but one day a few weeks ago I lost a peg on my bridle while changing my strings. It just kid of popped out of the hole and shot across the room somewhere while I was tightening up the string. Looked everywhere but I couldn't find it. So, I turned to my cat who always comes up and listens to me play. I jokingly asked the cat to help me find the peg, being that she was closer to the floor than I. Next day, I went up to my music room, sat down, and there was Angle (the cat's name is Angle) playing with the lost peg! She'd actually found it!

So don't underestimate your cat's abilities to understand and help you when you need it!

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea that's a neat story. I'm not sure my cat would do that but she used to like to take things and hide them all behind a chair in the living room, her toys etc. I couldn't find my keys one day when I was going to work and looked for awhile until I checked behind the chair and sure enough there they were with the rest of her stuff.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I don't know about losing tuners, but one day a few weeks ago I lost a peg on my bridle while changing my strings. It just kid of popped out of the hole and shot across the room somewhere while I was tightening up the string. Looked everywhere but I couldn't find it. So, I turned to my cat who always comes up and listens to me play. I jokingly asked the cat to help me find the peg, being that she was closer to the floor than I. Next day, I went up to my music room, sat down, and there was Angle (the cat's name is Angle) playing with the lost peg! She'd actually found it!

So don't underestimate your cat's abilities to understand and help you when you need it!

If my dog had found it, I would've had to follow her around outside for a couple of days.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

good cat.

(ignore if you already know this) your bridge pins should not "shoot across the room." the string's ball end is suppose to end up to the side of the bridge pin and pulled tightly against the inside top of the guitar -- never against the somewhat pointy bottom of the bridge pin. some of use bend the ends of the strings into a sort of soft J shape before inserting into the bridge holes -- hooking toward the neck end of the guitar. this help proper seating of the string and pin.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

If my dog had found it, I would've had to follow her around outside for a couple of days.

LOL :lol:

and, yeah, it was my bad about the bridge pin shooting across the room.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have 3 tuners. One lives in my gig bag, one lives in my office/music room, and one lives in my acoustic case pocket. I always know where a tuner is! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have a Korg chromatic CA30 (which is probably what you have, Vic), that sits close to my acoustic, a Korg GT7, which is close to my Buzz Feiten equipped Washburn, I have the AP tuner installed on my PC, for when I have a guitar connected via the mixer and one in my Pandora, to which either my Strat or my Burns is permanently attached.
Now, ask me about my capo.........................
(Has ANYONE used pitch pipes to tune a guitar, EVER?)

Vic
I'm not sure if anyone has ever tuned a guitar, using pitch pipes - I've certainly tried - many times - too many times. :cry:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure if anyone has ever tuned a guitar, using pitch pipes - I've certainly tried - many times - too many times. :cry:

this how I (allegedly) tune my violin -- however, it does not improve my playing

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm anal. My tuners are exactly the same place all the time. If not, I go bonkers. Well, that's not entirly true. The one down stairs may be on either side of one particular lamp on an end table, depending on which recliner I sat in to play the previous time. I've gotten rather "good" at moving it to the side of the lamp where I'll be sitting. I forget sometimes. :roll:

Oh, and yes, the bridge pins. I recently found one that had been lost and caused an hour's round trip to the guitar store one evening. I flinch every time I change the strings on it now despite not having had one shoot up for a few years now.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Oh, and yes, the bridge pins. I recently found one that had been lost and caused an hour's round trip to the guitar store one evening.
I realize any excuse to go to the guitar store is a good one, but don't you have any golf tees lying around? At least to avoid a special trip.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Tuner - still posted as MIA. Thanks, Chris - I can't remember the last time I lost or misplaced a tuner, and as soon as you happen to bring the subject up, mine disappears.......mind you, you could make a killing here. "Okay, send me some money, and I promise I won't mention disappearing plecs, strings snapping, strap locks breaking, amps going on the fritz, pedals breaking............"

(I'll settle for 10%......)

:D :D :D

Vic

Um, Vic dear, your tuner is on my coffee table. It isn't Chris's fault at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

My tuner presently resides in the land of the dead, owing to a faulty wire. I'm hoping an injection of electricity from the wall when I get my new power supply will remedy things though. If not, Vic might have to find his tuner by the weekend!

My tuner has, since yesterday, been returned to the land of the living (and sounding good) courtesy of a power supply from Curlys. My guitar (tuned to a record I knew the key of) was only marginally flat. Not too bad, all things considered (I tuned it to that record a week ago, and it has been all over the house since then, with my grubby paws all over it).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Um, Vic dear, your tuner is on my coffee table. It isn't Chris's fault at all.

You've gotta laugh, haven't you.....I'd only just found the blasted thing, too!!!! Well - that's not strictly true - it sort of turned up in the exact same place on my desk where it usually is but wasn't....funny, nobody moved it and nobody put it back....it just sort of moved itself. And now it's gone on holiday to Liverpool....and I'll bet it doesn't even send me a postcard!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3