Clear all

What's Happening Everyone?

26 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
13.1 K Views
(@rahul)
Famed Member

GN used to be a place full of life and fire in 2005/06. The time when I was in college and gave mods a real hard time with my posts. :D

Too bad to see it turn into a slow graveyard. I would love to connect again. This community has been very helpful and a lot of fun.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I just wandered back here after a bit of a lay off. It was good to see your thread, rparker. Not being active in a band and lacking motivation I suppose, I grow bored with my musical playing activities after awhile. I just recently started to develop an interest again & have been looking at some new guitars. (Like I really need another...) :wink:

All forums seem to ebb & flow over time, they get real active & then drop off. I've always enjoyed the camaraderie on here, great bunch of guys & gals. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Maybe we need to modernize. Maybe there should be a migration to Facebook or Google+. I'd love to experiment with Hangouts and playing.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey Roy! I'm still kicking. So ...... a tele to match the USA Strat huh? Nice! I got a Gibson Les Paul Junior Special for Christmas and have played nothing but since. Using my Marshall almost exclusively too. We recently got a drum kit and I'm learning to play those currently. The new job is going good. Hard to believe I'm a day shifter. Hard to believe I'm a manager, but I am. Like many of us, I can be found on FaceBook these days. Good to hear from everyone.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Well about a year ago I saw some guys playing at a local jazz jam night......... I wanted to do what they did - actually in the first place I wanted to play chord melody. Well I went for a while trying to comp without a damn clue besides knowing some of the chords that I prepared in my own time. I got disheartened by it and took a break - then I found Robert Conti - been feeling more and more passionate about making music everyday :)

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I think something wonky might have happened in the last site upgrade, and that's holding down the forum traffic.

I pop on to GN just about every day, and view the new posts. But since the last redesign, some of the new posts are NOT displayed - I can find them by clicking on "view active topics" (which then shows me which ones I haven't read). Since I'm no programmer, I have no idea what might cause this... but it seems like the board thinks I've logged on when I haven't.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

It's sad in a way. There used to be a lot more discussion here.

I miss a lot of the regular posters.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

A good thread Roy, nice to see what everybody is up to :D I have enjoyed reading the posts!

Also, a good reminder for me to get my backside back on the site more regularly!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

What's been happening at my end of the musical world....

This has probably been the second most trying year of my life. My music school is approaching its fifth anniversary (just 10 days from now), but this year we've endured a burglary, losing the lease on one of our two buildings, and losing our recital space - all within about 90 days. That's added massively to my plate for business tasks, and taken quite a bit away from the musical side. My playing has really suffered as a result - a long string of 20 hour days kind of grind away at both the creativity and the motor skills required.

I've managed to nail down solutions to some of our issues, but a few big ones still remain. I'm chipping away at them, and hope to have better news (and a return to my usually more stable lifestyle) pretty soon.

On the plus side, I took part in the 2013 Riverside Jam a week or so ago. It was great to see old friends and make new ones. Overall I thought my playing during the weekend sucked - I'd characterize it as sluggish and uninspired - but I did get to take part in an amazing little impromptu session with David, Mike, and some others in the hotel lobby on Thursday night. My immediate goal (beyond solving the business issues) is the get back to a place where situations like that are a more regular part of my life.

Off to bed now - it's been a 19-1/4 hour day today, so I'm making progress :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

It's sad in a way. There used to be a lot more discussion here.

I miss a lot of the regular posters.

Notes

I started late here.still pretty busy, but digging through the archives, not as busy as it was.... still lots of posters.. Roy here being one of them. Now I see a few into posts a day, and not much else. There is life still in her though!!!! Just gotta get some buzz going.

As for the music? I feel I'm improving OK. Job/kids/wife etc eat a huge hole in practice time. That holds me back, but I'm still poking along. I can sit and play around and hammer out a little tune when I want.... so there is that

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Knew there was somewhere welcoming and important I haven't visited in a while. :( Been spending my time learning how to read music sheets. I'm really enjoying it. Also spend a lot of the time learning pieces of songs related to melodies that my instructor gives me. Anywhere from solos to riffs and making sure I can play tight with the beat. Working my way slowly into playing with a band. Alway look forward to the end of the work day. Excited to see what I'll do next.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2