25 Users
0 Likes
(@daven)
Estimable Member

"Good Morning Beautiful" Steve Holy, Brad Paisley
"Gotta Get to Her the Way She's Been Getting to Me" George Strait
"I Told You So" Randy Travis, Carrie Underwood
"Estate Sale" Melanie, Cheryl Wheeler

country. it has been my interest lately. too bad we live just a little too far away.
it would be fun to jam.
That would be fun. That 4-5 hour round trip makes it difficult. Maybe someone from the Eau Claire or Menomonie area will show up looking for a jam. Take a couple hours off that round trip and it's not so bad. My wife is from Rochester so we get there fairly often but I don't get to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area much but who knows what the future might hold.

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

Trying to get better at fingerstyle playing so I'm working on:

City of New Orleans
Helplessly Hoping
Scarborough Fair

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

This week, I was getting pretty close to mastering "Tumbling Dice" - open G, mixture of chords and slide. Woke up a couple of days ago, couldn't move my arm - think I've pulled a muscle in my shoulder or something. Had to put guitar playing on hold till I can actually move my (right/strumming) arm without it feeling like it's rubbing on broken glass. Man, I HATE getting older!

When it gets better I know the next song I'm going to work on, though - heard "Train In Vain" by the Clash this afternoon on the radio. Already know "Should I Stay or Should I Go," "I Fought The Law," "Tommy Gun" and "London Calling" - but you can't have too many Clash songs in your repertoire!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

When it gets better I know the next song I'm going to work on, though - heard "Train In Vain" by the Clash this afternoon on the radio. Already know "Should I Stay or Should I Go," "I Fought The Law," "Tommy Gun" and "London Calling" - but you can't have too many Clash songs in your repertoire!
London Calling needs to hit my songs to play list soon. I like that tune.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Nothing overly difficult lately.

Whole Lotta Love-Led Zepplin. (I'm not a huge zep fan but they have a couple I like.)

Rock Me Right-Susan Tedeschi

When I Come Around-Greenday

Miss Misery-Nazareth

Five Dollar Fine-Chris LeDoux

Also, I have somewhat been working on She Hates Me-Puddle of Mudd and Basket Case-Greenday

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I've been working on songs that are easy to play on the guitar while singing:

Nirvana - Anuersym

Godsmack - Voodoo

Avril Lavigne - Runaway

Evanescence - Everybody's Fool

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

lapsteel -- first outing with it was this w-e. used for Lay Lady Lay and Rain Day Women #12 & 35. think I did a pretty respectable job of it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

When I Turn Around-Greenday

Not being nitpicky, but out of profound love for Green Day I have to say that the song's called 'When I Come Around' instead of turn...lol.

Enjoy playing the song. Its my all time Green Day favourite. I even made a video of it. 8)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Haven't played ANYTHING at all for a while....and if I follow doctor's instructions, gonna be another 3-4 weeks before I can pick up a guitar again. Absolute total BUMMER! I'm sat looking at my guitars....and they're wondering why they aren't getting played. If they had eyes, they'd be looking at me with sad eyes...

I'm about ready to SNAP.....

I'll try it in about 2-3 weeks - and it'll probably be nearer two than three!

Oh man, I REALLY miss my guitars! My tenuous hold on reality is slipping further and further away by the minute.....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

When I Turn Around-Greenday

Not being nitpicky, but out of profound love for Green Day I have to say that the song's called 'When I Come Around' instead of turn...lol.

Enjoy playing the song. Its my all time Green Day favourite. I even made a video of it. 8)

Rahul

Thanks, Rahul. I didn't catch that. No idea what I was thinking.... :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Keep Strong, there Vic. You can make it! Can't be worse than quitting smoking, right? (Hmmmmm....)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Keep Strong, there Vic. You can make it! Can't be worse than quitting smoking, right? (Hmmmmm....)

Currently watching the election results coming in - I know one thing, if the Conservatives win this election I'll be playing a LOT of blues for the next five years.

"Working Man's Blues"
"Down and Out Blues"
"The 'I Earn less than £1000 a week and can't afford my rent' Blues"

Oh dear, it's looking pretty grim. Last one out of the UK, please turn the lights out - not that I'm a rat leaving a sinking ship, more a side result of listening to the Clash in the 80's.....

I'm going to bed. Maybe I'll be able to get my guitars out of the pawn shop in the near future and write some scathing political songs....there's an old saying that you write best in adversity, and the next few years are going to be a real trial.

:( :( :(

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've been reading about your hung Parliament, and wondering why our Congress doesn't get hung?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A hung parliament should MEAN what it says on the box. Hang 'em high, as Clint once said.....!

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

Some songs I´m currently playing:

Acoustic:
If I ever leave this world alive - Flogging Molly
Touch of grey - Grateful Dead
Proud Mary - CCR
Machines - Biffy Clyro
Time of your life - Green Day
Starman - David Bowie
Talkin´ bout a revolution - Tracy Champan