Clear all

Thoughts on Hear Here thread

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I know this has been mentioned here before, but for the most part nobody comments on posts on the hear here thread. There have been many reasons offered like, "what do yu want me to say?" and such. I was wondering what peoples reasons are.

It stunk and I don't know how to tell you

It was good, you are obviously just showing off, go away

Keep trying, you aren't getting any better

I don't pay attention to the thread

You didn't comment on my song so I won't comment on yours

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were. I'm not complaining at all, but I posted a cover of Blue Oyster Cults Astronomy and there were no comments. The guy that wrote the song PM'd me on FaceBook to tell me we did a good job and to keep playing. I think you guys know me better. :lol: So just wondering. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I must have missed your Astronomy cover. One of my favorite BOC songs. I actually liked the remake they did on their (well, some of them) Imaginos album. A lot of times I don't comment on posts because I'll do a quick drive by and say "I need to come back later and listen to that" and then forget to come back to it.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It was actually titled as a sound bite of my new Marshall Haze 40. I don't mind if nobody comments. I just figured we all have reasons and was curious. I know I don't say things as often as I probably should and some folks put some amazing stuff on there. They are good! There are alot of folks that I wish would put stuff, or more stuff there for me to see and hear. As I said, just up for discussion, not a gripe by any means. I can sum all my stuff up in this one review. Vocals are very week, guitar and bass aren't bad ... you guys need a drummer. :lol:

Here is the Astronomy thread if interested. Joe Bouchard said he liked it!
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=53160

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I'll take a stab at the question. If I think it stinks, I usually won't comment. Most of the time when I think it stinks, it's because it's just not my kind of music. If it's not my kind of music, I can't judge it.

Also, why post comments unless you have the time and inclination to listen carefully? It's nice when someone says that they like your cover or a song that you've written has a good beat. But it's much better to get some constructive criticism and find out what it is about the song that people like.

I have posted original songs on GN and two other places. It's the same on all of them. Few comments, if any. On one forum, members will go on for 7 or 8 pages on some current event while never even looking at the posted music.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I visit Hear Here and feel motivated to respond, I try to be constructive with my comments. coming up with the right words is hard. that would be my guess why some do not reply. I haven't been to Hear Here in quite some time. I guess I am too busy in the woodshed.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It might help if people used the "polls" feature on the board to post a list of multiple choice comments seeking the sort of comments posters desire. Then folks could respond quickly and anonymously, which might boost the response rate.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It might help if people used the "polls" feature on the board to post a list of multiple choice comments seeking the sort of comments posters desire. Then folks could respond quickly and anonymously, which might boost the response rate.
Thats a good idea! Kind of like a FaceBook Like button only a little more specific. Make it easier for people to give you feedback.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I guess I am too busy in the woodshed.
:mrgreen: Nothing wrong with that!

Renee ....... I'm just not going to respond to your post ......... :lol: Yeah, your right, same other places too. Just curious I suppose, but I like to share and I really like to listen to other people. I too am guilty of not offering anything useful.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Maybe it's one of those "well you never commented on my song so I'm not going to listen to yours" scenarios? I know there are a few people - QUITE a few, actually - who post regularly in that forum, but never ever comment on anyone else's songs. I haven't been there for a while, to be honest - but I used to make a point of commenting on songs on there, especially if I enjoyed them. Haven't posted anything myself for a long time....but if someone took the time and trouble to comment on my songs, I used to think it only fair to have a listen to their musical output and give my honest opinion - even if it wasn't my kind of music.

The GN Songwriters club is pretty much the same - very little happening on there, very few new lyrics posted. It's a shame....we should all make more of an effort to participate, critique and encourage, especially if it's a relative newbie to guitar.

Mind you, I haven't been very active on GN for a few months now..... I'm only just getting my life straightened out again since my Marilyn passed away in March. I'm only just getting back into the need to play music again....haven't written anything for a while, but I've got a shedload of songs I want to record, most of them SSG songs, some dating back to 2004!

Going to have to get some practise in.....now where did I put those guitars?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK, I'll be the first to comment.....

go to hear here....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

I am really interested in hearing what the people I have gotten more familiar on here with are playing.
I would definitely listen to regular posters like TR, Roy, joehemple, Vic etc etc etc etc.

However, in all honesty I just don't recognise the names of most people who use hear here now. It's not that I'm not interested in them, or I think they are show offs, its just that I am genuinely more interested in putting a guitar voice to the more familiar names on here.

So, as a result, I tend not to visit hear here much anymore, so if you are one of the regular posters and I have missed your hear here post, then apologies :D

It really is a great forum to have on this site though :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=52929

I posted this :P I am an old timey member, but I got a fair few comments though if you feel like looking Almann1979 (or anyone else) that would be awesome.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I try to listen when I've got a decent set of speakers connected. Often times my first impression is quite neutral, so I don't post anything.

When you post a song, what type of feedback are you looking for? Detailed critique? Blind praise? "That's nice."

TR posted "how do you like my new amp?" That was easy - the amp sounds good.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm several reasons why I don't post some good and some not so PC. I don't post anything personally so I sometimes feel I'm not the right person to respond.

Other times I'm not sure what exactly to say..Was it good maybe but many aren't and do I say it was good even if I don't think so? Why bother.

Do I even care if it was good? What was your point to post it?

To me unless someone asks for very specific comments I'm not sure what the point of posting is, it seems like more of an ego thing..like look at me I did this...whoopee

There seems to be a bunch of new stuff out there and I haven't listened to any of it but even if it's all good what am I supposed to do listen to everything and say Sounds good to all....

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I am really interested in hearing what the people I have gotten more familiar on here with are playing.
I would definitely listen to regular posters like TR, Roy, joehemple, Vic etc etc etc etc.

However, in all honesty I just don't recognise the names of most people who use hear here now. It's not that I'm not interested in them, or I think they are show offs, its just that I am genuinely more interested in putting a guitar voice to the more familiar names on here.

That's another reason I don't reply to a lot of Hear Here posts. When I go in there, a lot of times it's a bunch of names I don't recognize and they have 2 or 3 posts only. I feel like they are just fly-by posters interested in either increasing their play count or looking for an ego stroke. I do try to listen to the regulars if I see one of their posts.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2