Notifications
Clear all

Ted Nugent has way better technique than Jimmy Page ever did

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@bongofury)
Topic starter  

However, Page is about a million times better as a songwriter.

Agree/disagree?

(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Ted seems a good guy...... but everyone who listens to rock can tell you what "Led Zeppelin" did - and probably play you a number of their riffs...... I can't even think of one thing Ted Nugent did.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

He might but his music is crap, OK so you can tell I don't like the guy...Ha

I'm a bit with Fleaaa other than Cat Scratch Fever I don't remember any of his 1 or 2 hits.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Oh, yeah, I remember Ted Nugent.

Couldn't name any of his songs though, so I guess our Jimmy gets the nod on this one.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Yeah for me. I can think of two Ted Nugent songs. Cat Scratch Fever and Stranglehold.

Some of the first guitar riffs I ever learned were from Jimmy Page.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Ted who? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I'm finding it hard to be objective here. Every time I say "I don't like Led Zeppelin" I always get the same reaction: How can you not like Led Zeppelin? Which if anything makes me less inclined to like them.

I do have to give some props to Jimmy Page since I enjoy listening to covers of Zeppelin so his songwriting is good. I think it's the fact that I can't stand Robert Plant's voice. So with covers, I get the music without his singing!

On the other hand, I don't know how to play any Jimmy Page riffs since I'm not a fan of him. I love Ted Nugent's guitar playing but most of the songs are beyond me to play. So props to Ted on technique. Plus I enjoy his songs more, his solos can be long but never seem to get boring. Additional props for him teaming up with Godsmack and having a cameo on That 70's Show!

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Don't forget "Wango Tango" :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I wonder if the OP was Ted Nugent himself, he's taking it pretty hard I guess :lol:

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Don't forget "Wango Tango" :lol:

If I only I could

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

nugent's boring. nothing special about his technique. not terrible, but not a guitar god. not in the same league as page's. and you're right, he can't write.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Maybe TN does have better technique...but JP is a few million quid richer! Ted can play hard rock - JP can play rock, metal, blues, folk, and probably anything else he fancied playing. Ted's a one-trick pony....JP can do it all. Remember, you're talking about a guy who was good enough at age 15-16 or so to be one of the most sought-after session musicians in the country, and that was 50 years ago!

:-) :-) :-)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I can name a total of 4 Ted Nugent songs and one of those is by his original band, The Amboy Dukes. Only 1 of those songs that I can name is what I would even consider listenable. And the listenable one gets boring during the guitar solo (Stranglehold). Technique doesn't mean squat if you write annoying songs. Jimmy may be sloppy at times, but he wrote some great riffs and tasteful solos (although, he did have his moments of boredom).

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@6stringkiller)

Stranglehold nuff said

ReplyQuote