Notifications
Clear all

summer guitar events

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gdhudspeth)
Topic starter  

I'm planning a series of road trips this summer and was wondering if you would share your favorite guitar- and music-related destinations/events. I'm interested in both education and entertainment: museums, music camps, festivals, landmarks, etc. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to incorporate some of your suggestions in my summer travels.

Just to start the list: Blues Museum in Clarkesdale, MS. Also, downtown Kansas City, MO (I think it's 18th and Vine).

And a source of more events: http://www.bluesfestivaleguide.com/

Glenn

(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Check out the current issue (April, I believe- it just came to me in the mail) of Acoustic Guitar mag. It''s got a pretty good list of guitar events going on around the country this summer.

Me, I am partial to the Kerrville Folk Festival in Kerrville, TX. Several thousand musicians camping out for eighteen days palying music- and they've got a main stage with some decent name acts plus some workshops on things like playing and songwriting. Happens beginning Memorial Day weekend.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@gdhudspeth)
Topic starter  

Thanks! I'll check it out. - G

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Here in Oz it's soon to be the NIMBIN MARDI GRASS time once again!

WHAT a gathering of lunies...all camped out with guitars, too. :lol:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member

Wel, i suppose "road trip" doesn't involve a boat or plane so you're probably not coming to Europe and Belgium any time soon :P

Just in case, Rock Werchter is the first weekend of July this summer...
It's been rated one of the best festivals in the world so if you have the chance, be there! :wink:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why we
call it the present!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

If you're heading north in the second week of July, the Winnipeg Folk Festival is always an excellent show.
Here's this year's lineup of performers.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

If you're heading north in the second week of July, the Winnipeg Folk Festival is always an excellent show.
Here's this year's lineup of performers.

Wow, Kent; looking at the website it seems a lot similar to what we do down in Kerrville, texas, what with the cmping and all. Ad with a lineup that includes Hayes Carll, Neko Case, Arlo Guthrie, and the like, you can't go wrong.

Unfortuinately, it's probably too much of a haul for me and not that long after other trips I have planned, Kerrville being one of them. I do say, though, it's great to know there are some other folk festivals going on that are doing a lot of the same.

I assume that you have been to this festival- is there a lot of music going on in the campground?

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I assume that you have been to this festival- is there a lot of music going on in the campground?

So much that they had to designate a second campground as a "quiet campground" for those few people who actually want to sleep. :lol:

The artists listed are just the ones on the main stage.
During the days (noon 'til about 6) there are 8-10 stages with smaller acts doing shows, and various workshops (2 or 3 solo/duos are put together on stage to explore a theme for an hour. Usually they don't know each other, but they have the theme in common. It turns into a jam near the end of the hour workshop )

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote