Notifications
Clear all

squire affinity tele??

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jaguar)
Topic starter  

il definatly have to replace the humbucker because i broke the wire coil inside haha, but thats all good. i had to get new saddles because the old ones were cheap and kept breaking the strings does anybody know how to adjust them because i think thats whats causing my guitar to go out of tune all the time? i would take it to a guitar shop the there nearest one is two hours drive away :(.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Here's a GN member's site about some guitar maint. http://home.roadrunner.com/~nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm

So, by adjusting them, you mean to raise the string height, or, to set intonation? Look at that link. He's got both.

As far as going out of tune, how is that happening? Any pops or noises? Only on one string? Does this have a trem? How's the guitar stored? Etc. Any info you can give us.....

Roy

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

given the Jag=stang inherited the Jaguar trem and bridge, it probably also got all the problems associated with those along with the cool tone they help create. Jaguar, Jazzmaster and Jag-stang trem/bridges as originally designed are considered a bit iffy in terms of tuning stability and string retention -- strings are known to pop out of the saddles.

here's link to a fan/discussion site for your guitar: http://www.jag-stang.com/jsIndex.php

might be some good tips and help there.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jaguar)
Topic starter  

kool chears :) . i tune by ear so i cant actuy see what it down tunes to but the top three strings seem to tune down after like 5 minutes of playing, i end up tuning it back well what i think is in standard tuning but if i tune it to standard tuning clip on youtube its actully ends up being alot lower than what it origanilly was, they guy i bought the saddles off said if there not ajusted propperly they could make it come out of tune, il check out the links though and see if they help, yeah my bridge is shocking when i took it off you could tell it was cheaplly made and the hole for the screw to go inside to attach it, one of them in stead of being a hole like O was a U not even moulded propperly unless its ment to be like that.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Hard to go wrong with a Squire Tele. I just got one of the vintage Arctic White models, plays and feels just as good and on some days better than my MIM. I play it through a Peavey Delta Blues and I can get everything from a country twang on songs like Can't you See to full overdriven raunch for songs like Social Distortions version of Ring of Fire.

I would definatley put these guitars up against any guitar that costs twice the money.
The really nice thing about this one was that the little mom and pop shop I go to for most of my stuff had one that someone had put on layaway and then just quit paying on. They let me have it for what was left to pay off on the layaway- $74.38

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

kool chears :) . i tune by ear so i cant actuy see what it down tunes to but the top three strings seem to tune down after like 5 minutes of playing, i end up tuning it back well what i think is in standard tuning but if i tune it to standard tuning clip on youtube its actully ends up being alot lower than what it origanilly was, they guy i bought the saddles off said if there not ajusted propperly they could make it come out of tune, il check out the links though and see if they help, yeah my bridge is shocking when i took it off you could tell it was cheaplly made and the hole for the screw to go inside to attach it, one of them in stead of being a hole like O was a U not even moulded propperly unless its ment to be like that.

at least two different problems here.

the guy who sold you saddles was probably referring to intonation not (de-)tuning. if a saddle is not positioned correctly, then notes on the string will not be in tune (or within a reasonable tuning error) as you move further (in frets/notes) away from the note at which you tuned. this is not de-tuning of the string, but errors "piling up" as you play further from the tuned note, which is usually open-string for electronic tuners and open/fifth or forth fretted note by ear tuning. the adjustments at the bridge are meant to compensate for the natural imperfections of a string, which become more apparent as the string becomes shorter (playing notes on the higher frets). if you need instructions on setting up your bridge saddle, then look or search under intonation adjustments.

going out of tune -- de-tuning -- can be caused by weakening old strings, new unstretched strings, funky trems, poor tuners, sticky or binding nuts and/or string trees, bad string rapping techniques on tuner capstans.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2