63 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
11 K Views
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

One of my weekly activities is choosing a song to send and share with my family and close friends.
Thanks to some of you, I have discovered some great songs that I would have missed.
On the topic of "Best Female Vocal" I got some great song suggestions (Amy Winehouse, 4 Non Blondes, Emmylou Harris, etc.)

I've run out of songs to send so I'm again looking for songs that YOU really like.
So, the criteria would be, if you had to fill an iPod (or generic portable mp3 player) with songs (which could easily be over 1000 songs depending on the Gigabytes) what songs must be on it? And by that I mean what songs inspire you, charge you, send you, rock you, or even make you cry.

I've pretty much run the gamut on Classic Rock songs (which means I've pretty much combed websites' top 500 Rock and Roll songs) so I'm looking for some newer material . . . by that I mean the last decade (Gawd, does that sound like I flip through years like a deck of cards?)

Anyway, if you post a suggestion, could you check YouTube to see if the song is there and post the link so I (and others interested) can hear it?

No criticism on your taste (or lack thereof) will be made by me . . . . and if others dare, Nick is considering installing a Smite button (suggested by Chris C) for those who need a thump on the head. :shock: So don't give him a reason to install it.

Gratefully yours,
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

(@blueline)
Noble Member

Here's my list (only 10 seconds thought put into this)

Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes
Porcupine Tree - Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before it is Recycled
Porcupine Tree - Strip the Soul
Dream Theater - Any song
Etienne de Rocher- His Site -Track #7
The entire Robert Johnson collection

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Last ten years, huh - you mean people are STILL making music? Oh well....

The Zutons - Valerie

Kasabian - Empire

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars

The Killers - All These Things I've Done

Duffy - Mercy

And that about exhausts my knowledge of today's music.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I will answer this after I possess an iPod.

Till then, I will continue to mess around with pea pods.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You know, it's just occured to me - I don't have any kind of miniature music storage device. No iPod, no phone with a zillion gB memory, not even an old walkman! If I wanted music whilst jogging, I'd look pretty funny carrying a computer along with me - mind you, I'd look pretty funny jogging anyway.

Hmmm - maybe it's time I embraced the 21st Century. You say the good thing about these DC players is that you never have to buy a stylus and your records don't get scratched?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I have to admit, I love my iPod -- it makes it easier to shop for music since there's much more available for download than in music stores. And I can take it along when I travel. But I still think in terms of albums not songs (even though when I started listening to music everything was on 45s and so we did think in terms of singles back then.)

Two albums I recommend this week:

Modern Guilt, Beck
and
Aqualung, Jethro Tull (I'd forgotten just how good this lp is!)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

This is all I could fit in the screen-shot ... a few of the absolute essentials:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

This is all I could fit in the screen-shot ... a few of the absolute essentials...

+1 - Can't agree more!

Plus all add anything from Eric Johnson. Especially Trademark off of Ah Via Musicom.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

This is all I could fit in the screen-shot ... a few of the absolute essentials:

ROFLMFAO You know, I could have bet my house that slej was going to do something like that. (breathe :shock: breathe)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Here's a random sampling of some of my favorite tunes by some of my favorite bands of the last 10 years. The video quality is not always great since some of this is fan footage from live shows.

The Drive-by Truckers - The Living Bubba
Queens of the Stone Age - The Lost Art of Keeping A Secret
R.L. Burnside - Poor Black Mattie
Hot Hot Heat - Bandages
Ryan Adams - Wonderwall
Nathan - Sunset Chaser
Old 97's - Jagged
Crooked Still - Can't You Hear Me Calling
The Blakes - Lie Next To Me
Los Campesinos! - Frontwards
Gogol Bordello - Punk Rock Parranda
Kings of Leon - Holy Roller Novocaine
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
The Budos Band - Up from the South
Art Brut - Formed a Band
Orgone - Sophisticated Honky
Bettye LaVette - Talking Old Soldiers
Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights
The Builders and the Butchers - Bringing Home The Rain NOTE: My oldest daughter and I saw these guys open for the Decemberists in January. In fact, this video is from that show. I'm at the front of the stage with my daughter, near the monitors on the far side of the stage. At 3:25 when singer hands out the shaker box, I get it! I'm bummed I'm not in the video. So close, yet so far

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Holey moley!
That will take a while for me to go through.
Thanks.
Much appreciated.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I only do an actual mp3 player while at work or on my motorcycle. Neither of these are happening these days, but I'll join none-the-less out of boredom.

For my work player, it's as much as I can cram in and it stays at the desk. My bike player is much smaller and I carefully select good tunes to ride too. Most of them are either riding related, bring me back to the past with country-side type memories or get me into a trancy kind of groove that allow for further escape from reality. (incredible way to ride, I might add) Anyhow, a few from the past decade as you requested.

Cold Play - Clocks
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Metallica - Turn The Page (a stretch, yes. sorry)
Pink Floyd - Wearing The Inside Out (a stretch by a couple of years)
Evanescense - Bring Me To Life
P-Diddy (puff daddy, whatever the heck he is these days) - Come With Me (kind of a cheat like the Verve selection as it's heavily sampled with an old riff
The Enzyte Song - Just kidding....

Roy

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Lovin' Whiskey (Anouk) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT0aLZ_fiL8&feature=related
2+2=5 (Radiohead) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lstDdzedgcE
Battle of the Beanfield (The Levellers) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld0RFYYZgOE
Till The Clouds Clear (Lamb) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV5EPFEwOow

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Recent(ish) stuff I've enjoyed listening to on my way into work (albums)
The Answer - Rise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3gIO624X8

Back Door Slam - Roll Away
The young singerguitarist isn't too shabby!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwiszfRd9X4

The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d87LmzCn0Ps

Drive-by Truckers - Southern Rock Opera and Brighter than Creation's dark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3icBcr1_Tw

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

These are on the Never-gets-old playlist:

Raconteurs - Intimate Secretary
Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime, Life During Wartime, I Zimbra
Liz Phair - Whipsmart, Supernova
Vangelis - Bladerunner Soundtrack
Breeders - Cannonball
Strokes - Juice Box
They Might be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul, Anna Ng
Crowded House - Weather with You, Chocolate Cake, Italian Plastic
Elvis Costello - Alison
Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (or would be if I find it again; searching, searching -- a piece of me is missing 'til I find it)
John Hiatt - Memphis in the Meantime, Drive South
Lyle Lovett - You're Not from Texas, I've Been to Memphis
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen- Hot Rod Lincoln
Kracker - Eurotrash Girl
Barenaked Ladies - Jane, Get in Line
Action Figure Party - Action Figure Party
Don Henley - Sunset Grill
Modest Mouse - Float On, The Ocean Breathes Salty

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5