Clear all

Semi-Hollow GAS...

27 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...had to chuckle a little to myself writing that.

Just wondering if folks out there wouldn't mind sharing their feedback on a semi-hollow guitars. I have a strat now which I love to tears but one day (when the Mrs. isn't looking...lol), I'd like to get a 2nd electric guitar. Always told myself the next one is either going to be tele- (leaning toward the baja) or an lp (leaning toward the gibson classic series). It's going to be awhile before I actually pull the trigger on either but whenever I'm in the local GC, I'll play a handful of both just see which one eventually "speaks" to me if you will.

I'm new and enjoy playing/learning blues guitar so I've always been a little fascinated by those big-ol-semi-hollows hanging up at the store so while I was there today I decided to just try an Epiphone Dot that was on display. I was amazed at how comfortable it felt and it just seemed to play really nicely (unplugged at least). Again not sure when the next purchase is going to be so I'm just open to people's suggestions on which other semi-hollow's I should try out. I have no doubt the $3,000.00+ gibsons play like dreams, but I don't want to go too nutty with price. Ideally would like to at least start looking at the under $1,000.00 range and then see where it takes me.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I love my Schecter C1EA

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Since you want a Tele, take look at the semi-hollow Thinline reissues. '72 comes with humbuckers, '69 has the traditional single coils. Guy in the praise band at my old church had one (a '69 iirc); sounded really great.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Classic-Telecaster-Thinline-Electric-Guitar?sku=510474
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-69-Telecaster-Thinline-Electric-Guitar?sku=510123

There's also the Schecter that Jim mentioned, the whole Ibanez Artcore line, an Epiphone Sheraton ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I've been hearing some very good things about the Eastwood Tuxedo (google it, there's a bunch of youtube demos).........so much so that I'm horribly gassing over it myself. I've just got no way of affording it for the foreseeable future. :cry:

Beautiful guitar, though. I think I'm in love. :P

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just checked out the tele- and schechter models on MF, beautiful guitars. Have to ask, though, do either of you find the semi-hollows limited in terms of the styles of music their suited for (I know, its not the guitar, its the guitarist) but, you'll excuse my ignorance, they always seem to be associated so closely with a particular genre (either blues or country music).

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OMG, just took a look at that Eastwood Tuxedo...WOW!!!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

OMG, just took a look at that Eastwood Tuxedo...WOW!!!

Indeed. :P :P :P :P :P

There's a youtube demo somewhere (i ended up watching about 4 or 5 in a row, I luuurrrrrrvvvvveee that geetar!), where the guy hits a note, and it just sustains, and sustains, and sustains, and sustains, and the P90s are feeding back sweetly, and I could hear the angels singing, and..............

you get the drift.

I seriously love it, and its had some very good reviews over here. Its pretty versatile, too. You could do some grunge,, indie, and punk, or go bluesy, jazzy or country......

If you do get one, you MUST post pics! I'd be politely jealous of you until I acquire one of my own. :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have an Oscar Schmidt OE-30 semi-hollow that is the bomb! Very good for jazz or blues. It gets just as much attention as my Strat, Tele, & Lp, (yes, you're gonna need one of each my friend! :wink: ). :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Don't forget the new PRS SE Custom semi-hollow!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Just checked out the tele- and schechter models on MF, beautiful guitars. Have to ask, though, do either of you find the semi-hollows limited in terms of the styles of music their suited for (I know, its not the guitar, its the guitarist) but, you'll excuse my ignorance, they always seem to be associated so closely with a particular genre (either blues or country music).

I havent noticed a bit. It is great for blues because of the deep, rich, sustainable tone from it. I've played some crunchy metal on it. Played some old rock n roll. I havent played alot of county on it, but I have some.. I really think its the guitarist personally, atleast for the most part.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ibanez Artcores yet.
You'll find a lot of rave reviews for Artcores.

I was planning on buying an AS73
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artcore-AS73-Electric-Guitar?sku=519454

When I came across a deal I couldn't pass up on a barely used AS83
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artcore-AS83-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=519764

Both are great guitars, and great values.

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Looks like I'll have some homework to do...HOOOOOOOOOOOORAY :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Now you have me got me GASSING :evil: :twisted: ...

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

I've only been playing for four months, I don't need another guitar already...

Wow. I am drooling over the Eastwood Tuxedo. I'm pretty sure I went unconscious for a little while there. You people are eeeeeeee-villlllll for exposing a new guitarist to such things.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

How about an Ephiphone Lucille?
I love mine.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-B.B.-King-Lucille-Electric-Guitar?sku=518252

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2