Clear all

Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame - Thoughts?

29 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So, what do people think of it? I guess both as a body that enshrines members for what appears to be years of fun, filled memorable moments and hijinx nicely displayed as museum artifacts.

I don't get too hung up on who gets in and who gets snubbed. Not my thing. Baseball, maybe, but not music. Having said that, I saw or read two interesting comments recently. One was that big feller that's on VH1-Classic, doing his ranting and raving about theatrical Rock Star, Alice Cooper, not getting in. Another involved a user running his mouth off that Ian Hunter should be in. You know Ian Hunter as the voice behnd the mic for Mott The Hoople and the pen behind the future Great White hit from the 80's called "Once Bitten, twice Shy".

Cooper is harder to call for me than Hunter. Although I think I like Hunter's music better, writing one hit, writing one cult hit ("Cleveland Rocks") and playing Bowie's written "all The Young Dudes" seems to be a little week on the qualifications. sure, he's been doing this for 25 years (well past the minimum requirement) as has Cooper. Each has a set of very loyal fans. Looking at the list at the hall's wbsite, they pretty much invite all but the groupies and dope dealers. Given ther list of who is in, yeah, why not? Sadly, that is what really gets me about this HOF. It's not so exclusive.

So, we'll leave baseball out of this. What do you guys think of the Rock Hall of Fame and the two names I brought up as looking in from the outside. and please, be civil to everyone else here. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

They took in the Dave Clark Five, because everyone thinks of them in the same breath as the Beatles, Who and Stones ... not.

And ABBA??? Love 'em, but seriously 'rock and roll'???

Hey maybe the R&R HOF will take Pete Rose since the baseball HOF won't ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

'slej, perhaps it is not named well. Maybe the Pop Music Hall of fame? I see a lot of non Rock acts and personalities on their Inductees List. This might be my biggest 'nay' against them that I have. I understand the need to recognize early influence people like the Blues players listed.

Maybe this is why the R&R-HOF is not highly thought of or taken seriously?

The Pete Rose thing brings up a question. What does someone have to do to be banned from the R&R Hall Of Fame? It cetainly would not be drugs. :lol: :lol:

Using baseball as a parralel, it is often argued that if player 'X' has made it, then player 'Y' has to make it. Not always an argument that holds water, but one that is considered none-the-less. Just looking at this year's "Inductees" list, one could argue that if Iggy Pop made it, so too should Alice Cooper or the J. Geils Band for that matter.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I don't think there is a way to get banned from the Rock n Roll HOF. It's not liek sports there are no 'rules' to break so there's not much reason to reject anyone.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

'Just looking at this year's "Inductees" list, one could argue that if Iggy Pop made it, so too should Alice Cooper or the J. Geils Band for that matter.

Unlike baseball, there are no stats in rock, other than number of records and tickets sold. Iggy probably didn't sell as well as either Alice or J. Geils, but he changed the medium. Alice did as well -- who was doing that kind of theatrical shock-rock before him? Offhand, I can't think of anybody.

To get banned from the R&R HOF you'd have to kill someone. Is Phil Spector in already? :twisted:

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I can see a strong case for Ian Hunter in a BRITISH r'n'r hall of fame - most of the top punk bands (Pistols, Clash, Damned) cite Mott The Hoople as a major influence. Mott had quite a few hits over here, though "Once Bitten Twice Shy" was Hunter's only solo hit. They were a great band live, too - and they were the first band ever to headline on Broadway, with Queen as the support act! (Mentioned in Queen's hit "Now I'm Here," as well - "Down in the city, just the Hoople and me...") They're still something of a cult band over here, and, as a huge influence on the 70's scene, yeah, I can see a case for inclusion.

Same with Alice - he may not have pioneered theatrical rock'n'roll, but he took it to a whole other level! He's another performer who's hugely popular over here - I think his last tour sold out in minutes. Hasn't done much for a long time, though, has he? Leastways, I don't think I've heard anything new from him since the early 90's....but as an influence, I can, again see a case for inclusion.

BTW, I went to see Ian Hunter back in 2005 - I was a huge Mott fan, back in the 70's, and he was playing at a very easy-to-get-to venue, and tickets were cheap - £13, as opposed to about £30 for a normal gig. He flat-out refused to play any Mott songs....I suppose he could have been saving them for an encore, but I didn't hang around to find out. His attitude sucked big-time - most of the crowd (generally guys (Dudes, maybe?) around my age were shouting out Mott songs, Hunter's reply was along the lines of "F off, you'll get what you're given and like it!" I wasn't the only one who walked out after that.... you just don't tell people who've paid good money to watch you to F off. Counting the ticket price, train fare and a couple of beers - the gig was at the Carling academy, so the beer of choice was Carling or Carling extra cold, neither of which I'm particularly fond of - it was a waste of about £25. And that's why I didn't fork out over £100 to see the Mott reunion concerts last year (with Mick Ralphs, the original guitarist) even though I would LOVE to have seen 'em!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I don't think there is a way to get banned from the Rock n Roll HOF. It's not liek sports there are no 'rules' to break so there's not much reason to reject anyone.

What about doing a Milli Vanilli? Surely that would result in expulsion?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

They were a ground breaking lip sync act...who many have copied since like Ashlee Simpson etc., so they may still be OK although I don't think they did enough of anything to ever be considered.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh .. this strikes a nerve here!

TR stands, faces west and screams all sorts of obscenities at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!

I'm with Eddie Trunk (VH1Classic guy)

It is one thing to not put a rock & roll inovator, legend, hero ... whatever in, but to also include acts that are no way shape or form any of the above just to spite those you are snubbing. To make it even worse, those acts are getting in!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm with Eddie Trunk (VH1Classic guy)
So, you've seen the rant, too, eh? :lol: :lol: I forgot who he was miffed at not being in there a few years back. Kiss, maybe?

Here's an odd bit. Looks like Carole King is in there for her song writing with Gerry Gofin, but not on her own merit as a solo performer. (although the bio does mention her going on after the dee-vorce)

Oh, and speaking of Kiss, it does not look like they are in there. wow! So much for being a "Rock & Roll" thing. This led me to do a google search on snubs. A couple interesting ones popped up on the Time Magazine list http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1889244,00.html Typical Time Magazine. I'm 45 years old and it's still catering to people above my age group. This quote: "KISS made the list, despite the fact that they might have been a greater gimmick than a band."

I was surprised to see Rush was excluded as well.

And then I get to this, another person's blog spews out this list.
KISS
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Chicago
Hall and Oates
Rush
Alice Cooper
Moody Blues
E.L.O.
Cheap Trick
Bad Company
Peter Frampton
Heart
T-Rex
Bon Jovi
Journey
Foreigner
Public Enemy
Red Hot Chili Peppers (this was their first year of eligibility)

Some of these names are jaw dropping. Now I don't know what the HOF is about. If it's about Pop music (ABBA and The Ronnettes are in), then why not ELO? They had 30-something top-40 hits here in the States. Hard Rock may have been represented, but not enough. It's certainly not a key sub-genre. I'm sure TR could sling quite a few harder rocker names there.

whooops, I rambled again. I've been trying to cut down. :oops:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Until Rush gets in the Rock and Roll HOF is a joke. Rush has more consecutive gold records than any rock act except the Beatles and the Stones.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

KISS
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Chicago
Hall and Oates
Rush
Alice Cooper
Moody Blues
E.L.O.
Cheap Trick
Bad Company
Peter Frampton
Heart
T-Rex
Bon Jovi
Journey
Foreigner
Public Enemy
Red Hot Chili Peppers (this was their first year of eligibility)

That list of exclusions is disturbing.

That's all, carry on.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yes, that list is the reason for my feelings towards the subject. KISS is the reason I started playing guitar and they have been selling out arenas for over 35 years. Is that not fame? Cheap Trick? Rush? Can't turn on a radio here without hearing them. They have been going nearly as long. Is that not fame? Frampton! Who doesn't know those songs? Fame? Your darn right!

What about my band Blue Oyster Cult? Not exactly one hit wonders as they had several although they are one hit legends with Don't Fear the Reaper. Some say they were not inovators but they are sorrily mistaken. It is like Dio vs Gene Simmons claiming who invented the devil horns hand thing, but BOC is often credited as being the first band whoose music was described with the words "HEAVY METAL"! Buck Dharma's guitar work (keep in mind the band formed in the 60's) has been described as "proto shred". That does mean a forerunner to the genre of shred guitar doesn't it? Want to hear what I mean? Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFRZxyh0vDU

TR Steps down from his soap box ............ Thank You!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's so hard to come up with criteria for such a subjective thing like music. It's kind of like who's the best guitar player or best song...how can you rate those?

The only real tangible way is to go by album sales or something and that doesn't necessarily mean anything either, there are thousnads of brilliant records that never sold much.

So it comes down to some sort of popularity contest like all the award shows, Grammy's, Emmey's whatever.

Personally i always thought of KISS (sorry TR) as more of novelty act that got by on theatrics more than musicianship but you can't deny they've sold alot of records and have lots of fans. Maybe that's more a testament to their marketing prowess than anything else.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

They should rename it to the Rolling Stone Magazine Hall of What We Think Is Cool. My argument against the Hall is one sentence. ABBA is in, Rush is not.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2