Skip to content
Other than guitar w...

Notifications
Clear all

Other than guitar what do you play, or would like to?

49 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

One of the things that impressed me most when I first came to Guitarnoise was the home recording that guys like Smokindog were doing, by playing along on several different tracks. Later, I discovered that others like Arjen/Sleutlebos/Ignar and Vic Lewis were also heading down variations of that path too.

As I couldn't play ANY instruments at the time, it seemed a bit overambitious to try and learn several at once. But that didn't stop me buying a few of them... just in case.... :roll: :roll: Eventually I did make enough progress to be able to play simple rhythm guitar in small local group, so my attention has turned to some of those other instruments. I've had a few keyboard lessons earlier this year, but the teacher vanished a while back to go on tour, and hasn't been seen since (I suspect he'll need to be flat broke again before he has to resort to teaching the likes of me again... ). So I'm plodding along with lessons from a book , and enjoying that.

But today I finally got around to having my first drum lesson. Great fun! But tiring.... whanging your right leg up and down a few zillion times for half an hour working that bass drum, and also flailing away with both hands on the sticks is quite a workout when you haven't done it much before.

The one instrument that I'd kill to be able to master (with minum effort of course... :wink: ) is the voice. The ability to sing my own songs would be a real treat. So I guess I'd better try and slot in some work on that too. Not that easy when you're inclined to be somewhat erratic and slack and also have a wide range of other calls on your time....

So what about you? Are you working on other instruments too? Have ambitions to be able to sing better (or at all). Is there anything else that you feel is a good complementary or parallel thing to be learning alongside regular 6 string guitar? Bass? Banjo? Bagpipes? Bassoon?

Cheers,

Chris

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, obviously, the main instrument is guitar. But there's also bass, several harmonicas and a keyboard. I need a new bass, and a drum machine - a drum kit is out of the question for the immediate future. I also played recorder back at school, and carried on with it afterwards - I can still play the theme from "Kung Fu" (the old David Carradine TV series) and "Nights In White Satin."

But the one instrument I'd love to master (as well as guitar, obviously!) is the saxophone. Probably my favourite musicians who don't play guitar-shaped instruments are Clarence Clemons, Bobby Keyes, Lisa Simpson and Zoot. Maybe one of these days I'll find a second-hand sax at an affordable price......

Trouble is, there's still so much to learn about guitar, whether it's rhythm, lead, fingerpicking, open tunings, slide..... maybe I'd better take my cue from Rgalvez's signature.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Bass is now my main instrument, since that's what the church band needed when I joined about a year and a half ago. Wish I had taken it up decades ago!

Guitar is second, but I still play a fair amount, and I sub on acoustic at church sometimes.

And I dabble on mandolin for fun, mostly Irish/Celtic type stuff.

If I had the time, I'd like to learn cello and fiddle. My oldest daughter expressed an interest in cello and will be taking a strings class in the Fall (beginner-level violin, viola and cello) so I may get a chance to mess around with those.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Vic - Zoot Sims???? 8)

I had a Zoot Sims and Bucky Pizzrelli disc.... Don'know what happened to it????
Might have given it to my Grams; She loved sax music, and I frequently shared my cd collection with her.

Zoot had a great 'clean' tone 8)

I would also love to play the sax.... always wanted a sax in the blues band.
(Think CCR's 'Long as I can see the Light')

I think piano is an essential to any musician, and would be a great help in learning/playing other instruments,
as well as in composition/song structure.

I also always thought the flute would be a cool accompanyment for moody acoustic guitar songs.
(Think Jefferson Airplanes 'Comin' Back to Me' - Don'know if that actually is a flute....)
I have a recorder or two as well that I should learn how to play.

I'd also like to get into primitive percussive instruments.

And of course: Blues Harp.

And yeah.... Singing!
The voice could always use more work.

Hey Mitch.... did you ever get that all wood bass done????

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic - Zoot Sims?

Umm, no - Zoot the sax player with the Muppets. His smoky, bluesy laid-back style is the perfect counterpoint to Animal's Moon/Bonham inspired drumming........

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Vic - Zoot Sims?

Umm, no - Zoot the sax player with the Muppets. His smoky, bluesy laid-back style is the perfect counterpoint to Animal's Moon/Bonham inspired drumming........

Vic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! :D

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hey Mitch.... did you ever get that all wood bass done????

You mean the cherry and bloodwood body, maple and rosewood neck, ebony nut and knobs, wood-burned headstock one? :lol: Oh yeah! 8) 8) 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Jeez, I'd really like to learn to play guitar first, but keyboards would be my next choice. All my other choices would be a bit limited usage but steel drums, marimba and bagpipes come after keyboards.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Other than guitar I play bass, mandolin, dulcimer, a bit of keyboards and anything percussion except for drums! :D

The next thing I would LOVE to learn is the harp. Not harmonica, harp.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Currently I only play guitar, really I try to play it. ;)

I learnt to play piano around 10 years ago. I achieved an advanced beginner/intermediate level with classical works, then I went to play songs on the keyboards (chords with the left hand and melodies with the right one). I love the sound if the Hammond B3.

I play harmonica (blues and tremolo) and recorder as well. My last acquisition in this segment was a melodica, a very cool instrument. I prefer it to the recorder, this is too treble to me.

I received some lessons on percussion with congas or tumbadoras. Curiously one of the most difficult to me. I also have lots of small percussion instruments, mainly I bought them when travel as something that reminds the place.

Some months ago I was considering a bass guitar but I don't have more room at home for a new instrument. I like the bass lines and frequently I hear them in the songs. Maybe in the future.

I'd like to play flute or perhaps clarinet, I like those tones. The clarinet in jazz is one of the my favorite instruments.

The violin, viola and in general all the fretless instruments are in another league for me, I feel I couldn't play them. I never tried but it seems very difficult.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

1) Sax (mostly tenor and alto) - my main instrument
2) Wind Synthesizer - my other main instrument
3) Guitar my primary secondary instrument
4) Keyboard synthesizers
5) Flute
6) Bass
7) Drums (drum controller now, as I haven't played real drums in years).

What do I want to learn next?

Harmonica

Orchestra - I'd love to conduct some romantic to modern symphonies (in my dreams) ;)

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Guitar is my main instrament.
I also play harmonica and dabble a bit on the keyboard.
I've picked up the bass during a few jam sessions. Liked it. It certainly is a whole different animal though.

And although it's not an instrament, I also play hockey. The sound of skates cutting the ice is music to my ears.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

I'd love to learn to play the piano, although I've come to accept the fact that I probably wouldn't be able to dedicate the time to it. My 8 year old wants to take piano lessons one day and if she does I might take the plunge myself.

Outside of that, I've toyed with the idea of learning the harmonica. Questions for those who have taken it up, is it difficult to learn to play well.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Questions for those who have taken it (the harmonica) up, is it difficult to learn to play well.

Harmonica's like any other musical instrument, or indeed anything else in life, in that the more you put into it the more you'll get out of it. I'm pretty much an amateur player - pick it up every now and then, have a few days when I play a lot, then might not play again for a while. So I'm hardly what you'd call a virtuoso.

But having said that, it's probably the easiest instrument - in my limited experience - to pick up and get something resembling a tune out of. Try it - you may like it. If you don't have a go, you'll never know!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

LIke Vic said, the more you put into it, the better you'll become. The good thing is, you can't be out of key. If you're playing blues, just pick up the right key harp and go for it. I have an A and a D. I started by trying to learn how to play the harp peices on Aerosmith's "Refer Headed Woman". Learned it in about two weeks. Now, lIke Vic said again, I'm no virtuoso either. But it sure is fun!

I did a little experiment the other day with my 11 yr old daughter. I gave her the D harmonica and said "Let's play some music". She's never played before so I told her to fill in after I sang each verse. We had a blast. I recorded it. So when she is older, I'll play it for her :lol:

Now if you want to become a great player...listen to some Blues Traveler and try to keep up with John Popper :wink:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4