Clear all

NGD It's Here!

21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing more acoustic lately. My son just ordered a fretless acoustic electric bass. We do have to jam don't we?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Oh! What is it you ask?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Still can'ttell what it is?

There, that's better. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Looks pretty nice. How does it play/sound???

I love my Epi accustic. Mines a cheapy, but it sounds good, and you can just leave it around, and it never gets beat up. [two young kids in the house....do the math :D ] Its got a little twist to the neck though, so I will need a replacement one of these days

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Very nice, esp. in black. At first I thought it was a Yamaha ... looks similar to one of theirs.

And yes, if your son is going acoustic, you are 100% obligated to do the same! 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Very nice TR! You'll have to let us know how you like it.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Jeez, you're going own the whole Epiphone guitar company someday! That's a nice matching one (headstocks?) congrats! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm hoping I like it. It is shipping today, should be here by the end of the week but if not the beginning of next. I haven't encountered one in a store so I could not try it. I know I'm gonna like the thinner body. My current acoustic electric is a full sized guitar. This one is the same model Ace Frehley used for the KISS unplugged show. I was shocked at the time he selected such an inexpensive instrument but I read in an interview that he chose it because it was the most Les Paul like of any acoustic he could find. Thats what I'm talking about!

Check out the one Ace has ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFlrB9w4tQ

I'll have to put up a video of mine when I get it.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yeah, that was nice to see Paul Stanley with his mandatory Ibanez, while Ace Frehley sticks with his Les Paul, or one like it!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It is supposed to be here Friday. I'm hoping the action is to my liking because it is more of a pain to fix than on an electric. (Not like I haven't done it before though) I'm going to have to shop a case or gig bag or something for it.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Very nice TR. Gotta love Epis. :D

I might have to see if they're available locally.... :wink:

I have an Ibanez that's slightly similar in that it's acoustic/electric with that thinner body style. Much less of a handful than most acoustics but still nice to play. In fact it's my 'go to' guitar and is sitting on stand right next to me as I type. Nylon strings but still has a truss rod, which is handy.

Enjoy your new friend.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Very nice! I may have to look into those because I want a thinner body acoustic. I still just have the one I learned on (Fender) and it is huge.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My only acoustic is a monster, but it sounds really nice. Congrats to you for your. I hope it's what you want. Oh, and thanks for making my collection continue to look small. :twisted: :twisted:

Epi's RULE!!!!!

Don't forget to mic it up so the neighbor's cows can enjoy the mellow and give the farmer a bigger milk check. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Don't forget to mic it up so the neighbor's cows can enjoy the mellow and give the farmer a bigger milk check. :)
Oh, it has a lovely preamp built in. It's acoustic/electric. Gonna go through my PA so the cows can enjoy. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It's here! To sum it up I am happy with it. 8)

No flaws, very pretty. Action is good for an acoustic. Not quite my electric specs but definitely my acoustic specs. Intonation dead on. Sounds OK unplugged but amazing through the PA. Much better than my other acoustic. The tuners are supposed to be Grover but I say they are "Faux"ver. Grover shaped keys but flat on the back,no Grover stamp. They may still be Grovers and they do work well. They are the same ones that are on my Ibanez Artist. Videos to come but it's off to work now.

Drive drive drive ... work work work ........................... OK .... SO .....

I remember these used to be made in Korea and they cost around $500 so I expected it to be made in China as the price is now $300. Wrong ..... Indonesia. It is built well though so that is what matters. I love some of the reviews I read. (Mostly good but some bad of course) One said "Stinker" They complained the guitar smelled. It does. Smells just like wood glue. Duh! There were complaints of high action and poor setup. Not here. Action is great and intonation is spot on as per the onboard chromatic tuner wich works very well I might add. There were complaints that the pre amp crapped out. We will see but so far I love it. See the pic above for it's features. That phase button is a feedback eliminator. I don't seem to need it in practice but I could see it in certain live applications. It does take some of the brightness and sparkle out of the sound. I can get it plenty loud in the cave without using it. The dynamics slider makes the EQ kind of parametric. It increases or decreases the affect of the bass and treble as I understand it. There is a neat little graph in the manual that seems to make sense of it.

The only thing wrong was the end pin jack was a little loose. I had to tighten it and that was it. Thumbs up Epiphone!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2