Notifications
Clear all

Need help for decision

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@hey-_-vinny)
Topic starter  

Hello, i am new to this forum and i would just like some help for making some decisions on what equipment to get.

when i first started playing guitar my parents bought me a fender squire starter pack (i got it here: Magasin de musique Nantel - Ensembles / Fender Squier Affinity Strat® Special with Fender Frontman Amp® 1.) i also bought my self a boss distortion amp. im thinking of advancing myself in equipment so i was debating between getting a schecter omen 6 diamond plus or a Marshall MG30FX amp. i like playing hard rock like asking alexandria or avenged sevenfold, if you can suggest anything else that i should get instead of that please leave me suggestions :D

(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Hi there and welcome!

I would not recommend getting the Marshall MG. There are way better amplifiers for the same price. Considering your taste in music I would most definitely get a Peavey Vypyr. A Roland Cube or Fender Mustang are regularly recommended as well, but for your taste there's really no doubt about it: a Peavey Vypyr. I don't know how much you can stretch your budget, or if you're going used/new, but a Peavey Vypyr 60W would be the best you could get as it is a tube amplifier (the 75 isn't). I would also definitely not get a Line 6 Spider.

If you're trying to get a better sound your amplifier will make the biggest difference. If it's playability you want to change (a guitar that fits you better maybe), your guitar would be the thing to change. The best thing you can do, if it comes to guitars, is going to try them out.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I had a Marshall MG15FX. Probably it is not the best amp but it is not a bad amp. I sold it because it was not able to get the tone I was looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@hey-_-vinny)
Topic starter  

Hi there and welcome!

I would not recommend getting the Marshall MG. There are way better amplifiers for the same price. Considering your taste in music I would most definitely get a Peavey Vypyr. A Roland Cube or Fender Mustang are regularly recommended as well, but for your taste there's really no doubt about it: a Peavey Vypyr. I don't know how much you can stretch your budget, or if you're going used/new, but a Peavey Vypyr 60W would be the best you could get as it is a tube amplifier (the 75 isn't). I would also definitely not get a Line 6 Spider.

If you're trying to get a better sound your amplifier will make the biggest difference. If it's playability you want to change (a guitar that fits you better maybe), your guitar would be the thing to change. The best thing you can do, if it comes to guitars, is going to try them out.

the Peavey Vypyr that you are recommending me is it this one http://www.nantelmusique.qc.ca/produit3 ... binet.aspx. or is this one http://www.nantelmusique.qc.ca/produit3 ... yr-75.aspx. the second one is much more expensive. also i am not sure if i would like better playability or better sound, the current guitar i have ( the fender squier) has really bad action and it buzzes, but then again the amp is very small and not very clear. i am 14 and i dont work so my budget isnt really flexible as i do not work and do not get an allowance.

ReplyQuote
(@askaguitarpro)
Eminent Member

A good amp will definitely inspire you to play for years to come. What is your max budget?

Jake

AKA "AskAGuitarPro"
http://www.askaguitarpro.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/AskAGuitarPro?feature=mhee
[email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@hey-_-vinny)
Topic starter  

A good amp will definitely inspire you to play for years to come. What is your max budget?

well i can go maybe 350 tops. i was also recomended the peavey vypyr 75 or 30 wat. what do you think about that.

ReplyQuote
(@hey-_-vinny)
Topic starter  

Hi there and welcome!

many people ive talked to are recommending the peavey vypyr 75 and im going to have to make some research on it but do you know anything about the quality and tone and if it works good for distortion and metal rock

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Peavey have a long history in making decent quality guitar amps but you should try one out, you might or might not like the sound yourself.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Everyone has his own opinion obviously, but any Peavey Vypyr will be good for Rock and Metal. They're the best amps for those genres at that price point as far as I know of. The Peavey Vypyr 75 is cheaper than the Peavey Vypyr 60 because the first one is a solid state modelling amplifier, while the latter is a tube amplifier (or hybrid at least). For a Vypyr 60 you'll probably have to look used (Just saw you're 14: just bring one of your parents if you want to buy used, and explain them it's reliable and saves you a load of money).

I'd suggest trying both out at a store, and see if you have a preference. Any of the Peavey Vypyrs will be great for what you want.

Your current amplifier is really, really bad. That's one of the biggest issues of most starter packs. Even if you play well, it'll sound really bad, which is very demotivating. I'd suggest upgrading your amplifier now, and then have a talk with your parents. Ask them if they want to buy you a quality instrument at the end of the year if you do well in school and have kept playing seriously? Very often it's difficult to understand for people who don't play what the big differences are between gear, so it's important to explain why the guitar's harder to play.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

[the current guitar i have ( the fender squier) has really bad action and it buzzes, but then again the amp is very small and not very clear. i am 14 and i dont work so my budget isnt really flexible as i do not work and do not get an allowance.

OK, so if I could make a recomentation...

Not many electric guitars are unfixable. I would realy bet that with some basic work your existing guitar can be made playable for not a ton of cash. I would hit up a few shops, and talk to a few playes, and see if there is someone local that can do a setup on your guitar. A basic "get this thing playable so I can learn" setup realy shouldnt cost you much... and a lot less then a new guitar that will probably need it also.. And if your handy... setups are realy not that hard... and there is a TON of info on the web about doing them. With a few simple, basic tools, and a eye for detail, and care... Im sure you could get it close... and learn something new at the same time!

Also as for the amp.... As long as you can get your guitar playable, I would defently spend the cash on a amp.. Ive only been playing a few years... and have a long way to go.... but eaven starting out, I sounded SO much better when I picked up a nice amp. I got a VOX AD30VT..its a nice amp, and does a bit of everything. Its a hybrid tube/solid state modeling amp, and its a good choice till you learn what your style, and taistes realy are as a player.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Yeah, S1120's recommendation about getting your guitar set up would be really good. If you know anyone who's good with guitars they can probably help you out, and there's a ton of information.

ReplyQuote