Clear all

Mexican Stratocaster vs American

25 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
10.7 K Views
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Having played Wattsiepoops' gorgeous American Tele, I feel obliged to point out that it's way more comfortable than my MIM Tele. Nicely rounded edges on the body, nicer neck, etc). I can't really compare the tone, since I played his guitar through his amp, which differs significantly from the amps I've played my MIM Tele through.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I just realized something. I am not a good judge of the MIM Strat. :shock: Mine is so old it is not representative of what is out there now. Mine is premo! :mrgreen: Here is some info and pics.
Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Ensenada Plant (Fender), Mexico
in the Year(s): 1992 - 1993

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The odler MIM strats lacked in one very important area: pickups. If you outfit a MIM strat with good pickups and electronics you can have a very capable guitar.

Fender realized this and they've been producing special run MIM strats over the last 5 or 6 years with USA pickups.

If you are looking at a $450 standard MIM and a $850 Highway 1, I would get the MIM and upgrade to Custom Shop 69 pups or similar.

If you are looking at a $750 Classic Series MIM strat and a Highway 1 it is a toss-up. The USA standards are $1000+ and, while I lOVE mine, I don't know that it is $500 better than a properly equipped MIM.

However, if you look in the used market you can find some very nice USA strats for $500 - 700. That would be the ideal road for you, in my opinion.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Hey, TR, How much extra did it cost to get the "signature model" :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I've got to say that I'm pretty darn impressed with that! But I always 'try' to say good things, so it might lose validity? :roll:

No really, sincerely, that's a knock out, very cool, nice eye candy, and a beautiful custom touch to the guitar itself.

Not that I would ever do that sort of thing. :shock: Or maybe I do? Got to love them if you're gonna play 'em. :lol:

Anywhoo... yeah second that on the pickups! Here's a set of those '69's but the Strat already has 57's.

Not a new Strat, not a gift, wassup then? Well, it's a family member so it gets a present too. :mrgreen:

... and a card from Fender, a little "Merry Christmas" from all the folks in Ottawa,

... let's get together again and soon at the Hard Rock Cafe with a Queen? :P

Well, to be serious, another thing, I think that MIM Stds. could have thinner necks at the nut, if you have big fingers or just want lots of room, get a Classic, re-issue - they can be MIM, or try the American for full-size, as they've been since 1954. And if you're going to keep that Strat for ever & ever & ever, there's a good chance that it will hold it's value later.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ok OK! :lol: My wife did it for me. I decided I liked it so much I wanted to make sure I never traded it.

By the way, it has a Seymour Duncan HotRail at the bridge so that pickup upgrade is taken care of.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That's a super gift and show of support from your wife, and a very nice pickup too! :D

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Yeah- I was staring at the plate on that one TR, trying to figure out what it had that name on it...I think I get it.

About the original question- I don't own either MIM or US strats at this point, but have played both. For me, it would depend a LOT on your economics.

BOTH are great guitars. The US made ones are undeniably better. (In virtually every way; better materials, better workmanship, better hardware.)

But for me, a strat is a players guitar- you want to take it to gigs, take it to jams, carry it in a gig bag, carry it on your bike, take it on the bus...modify it if you want to. Upgrade. Downgrade. Try different setups...we call it "playing," and I'm all for only having instruments you feel free to play with.

So for me, if I was going to buy one, I'd go mexican. I could afford a USA Strat- but it would be about the most expensive thing I own. I'd be too worried to "play" with it. What fun is it to have a guitar that you're afraid to pass to a friend when you're jamming?

So that's the way I'd go- but if you're in a different situation than I am (like you have more money, or perhaps are less inclined to bang everything you own all to heck) then maybe you'd rather have the extra feel and tone that the US instruments seem to have...

BEst,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That's a good take on it, except I don't think we downgrade - the object of change is to upgrade, a little or a lot.

I never thought to consider someone's habits or just the reality of their lifestyle, that we may bang up our guitars, so we don't want to spend too much, if the beautiful thing is going to get damaged.

Surely, we are all different and unique individuals, we could transport and play our guitars differently, just as we drive our cars differently, scratch them and bang them up too? I have a daughter that has a talent for hitting things that other's don't even see, while driving firstly my car, she ruined that; then her own - she's gone through 3 already, now on her fourth? :shock: Now that I'm officially separated, I'd also like to exonerate my daughter for at least one occasion, and commend my wife for backing out of the garage, and driving over top of my daughter's car in the driveway without hurting her own. That was different. :roll:

I think if you wreck, devalue or destroy something however, you should try to replace with something new and better - you know what they say about making lemonade out of lemons?

Anyhow, an American Strat is usually "all there" out of the box, or if treated well and used, and won't need dressing up or mods unless you're picky or looking for a precise tone. They've been good enough for the majority of artists over the years. Up to the end of the Hendrix era, they were all mostly stock, and nobody considered changes till Slowhand bought 6 used ones for a hundred bucks-or-so each, gave 2 away, and created Blackie from the best parts of the remaining few.

For that story, here's a link, though it's not the link I was seeking, and don't necessarily agree with the entire content.

http://crunkish.com/top-ten-famous-guitars/

Anyhow, in conclusion, to give my 2 cents on the dinging and banging habit, I just don't do it anymore. I got used to knowing where the outer limits of my guitars are, and don't bump them, till I play with a band, I'll usually walk into a big cymbal. :| I totally identify with what Ande is saying, however that's my problem with acoustics! Electrics suit me fine, and I never worry about marring them, mashing or trashing them. I initiate my American Strats, and get completely comfortable and conquer the fear by holding the upper horn, and waving the guitar in the air above my head. :?: Really, I enjoy them so much, I like to move them around alot and shake out their sounds, so only with a Stratocaster, my playing environment is a full 360 degrees, and I have to add "looking for low ceilings" to the list of Ande's hazards - atta boy!

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Ceilings are hazardous- when I started playing bass, I knocked the headstock on everything- it's so much LONGER than a guitar.

:-)

One of the reasons I love buying second hand...

Ande

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2