Skip to content
Learning from those...

Notifications
Clear all

Learning from those less skilled/experienced .. or Way More!

38 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've seen Deep Purple live and that version of "My Woman From Tokyo gave me chills. It was very good.

The song Double Axel is doing is foriegn to you for a reason. It's foriegn. :lol: We are up here on the Canadian border. I'm sure the older Canadian members remember Jerry Doucette. The song probably never got any air play down your way Chris. When I was younger the only "good"radio stations we could get were in Canada. Here is the actual song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-G4onYzITc

By the way, when I first saw that album cover, I dreamed I would have a son and he would play in a band with me one day. Life is good! :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well there you go TR mission accomplished.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I don't really like cover bands.

All bands are cover bands. Some just cover music that's written by the one or more of the band members. There's only bands. No such thing as a "cover band."

I'm not a very talented musician at all. My guitar approach is to innovate the act of playing as much as possible because of my lack of technical talent and skill.

Sorry Ness K, that one's just you making excuses for being lazy. I'm not buying it. The technical skills can be learned. I'm living proof of that. All it takes is putting in time and WORK to learn them. Talent just makes learning those skills a bit easier. "Innovate the act of playing," is just another way of saying "I'm re-inventing the wheel, but don't know enough to realize it."
Like whenever I actually get around to forming a band, I'm fairly certain it's going to be a bad affair. Probably really bad. But who cares?

I care. The last thing I want to listen to is Yet Another Band That Makes People Want To Vomit. There's too many of those out there already. I'd much rather listen those who spent enough time learning their craft to really come up with something original, or even just use the old hackneyed cliches in fresh ways.

Every true artist of any stripe knows that there are technical skills that need to be mastered, and they expend whatever effort needed to learn those skills. It's HARD work, and rarely appreciated. Every poser out there thinks it's easy until they attempt to DO it.

If you want to form a band, DO it. Put the work in to make it one that people will drive for HOURS to see, not one that makes people puke on the dance floor, clap their hands over their ears and run screaming out the door.

Be the artist, not the poser making sorry excuses.
First and foremost, Thank You for sitting there and picking apart everything I said like the scholarly guitarist you are...or at least try to be. My post was merely me thinking(typing) out loud(into a post). I know I can be better. I am getting better. So really I don't need some person who never met me calling me a "poser" when I was simply writing a observational post with me mocking my own abilities. The point I was getting across is that yes, terrible bands do suck, but whats bad and what isn't is a matter of taste, and that you don't have to be some master musician to make a decent song or a decent performance. Oh yeah about that cover band thing...come on. Yes other bands cover other bands material but the difference between the two is cover bands ONLY cover another bands material. So after you see this you'll either A) see that your rant was uncalled for or B) just inanely reply with anger or annoyance or whatever and take another stab at insulting me. Your choice.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Sorry you didn't like what I had to say, Ness K. I'm also sorry you entirely missed the point of my post. I'll sum it up with a platitude for you: :"Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well."

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

And I completely agree. I never said I was satisfied with my guitar playing..I was simply explaining what I do with it now as I get better. But now that we're on the same page I would like to ask you something: I see that you're from Midlo VA, which guitar shop do you go to?

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

And I completely agree. I never said I was satisfied with my guitar playing..I was simply explaining what I do with it now as I get better. But now that we're on the same page I would like to ask you something: I see that you're from Midlo VA, which guitar shop do you go to?

Richmond Music Center is my current favorite. I've been doing business with them practically since they opened up. Dave Thomas is the guy you want to talk to there. (probably doesn't hurt that both my wife and I are known on sight by most of the staff there). Guitar Works is second. Wholesale Guitars over at Genito Crossing has some interesting lower priced stuff, plus a custom line the owner builds. They're just getting started, but they're showing some potential to be a good shop.

There will never be another Astor's though. Think dimly lit cave on Broad Street with a resident cranky troll who would bestow treasures upon you if you chatted him up a bit. I've still got the Maestro Fuzztain he advised me to get. It's never let me down.

We're down at Honey Whyte's in the Bottom this Friday. There's no cover, so stop by and say hello. You might enjoy us doing covers so old the young'uns haven't ever heard 'em. :shock:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I love Richmond Music Center. I got my Les Paul from them. Favorite salesmen is Jon Blanchard, good guy. I been to guitar works before and I love the feel of it. I bought a little Fuego Azul harmonica from there. Been to Wholesale Guitars before too but their name is a bit misleading to me because I was expecting a warehouse type place but I was pleasantly surprised to see its a little custom guitar shop. And I think Astors might be before my time because I never heard of it but it sounds interesting though, typically its the little hole in the wall places that you wind up loving the most. And I might just stop by and see your band(First I have to look up where the place is because I never heard of Honey Whyte's haha) and I'm into older music so if I do drop by you might be surprised that I know the song title and artist :D

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I love Richmond Music Center. I got my Les Paul from them. Favorite salesmen is Jon Blanchard, good guy. . . . And I might just stop by and see your band(First I have to look up where the place is because I never heard of Honey Whyte's haha) and I'm into older music so if I do drop by you might be surprised that I know the song title and artist :D

Yeah, I like Jon too :D

Honey Whyte's is four blocks east of the 17th St. Farmer's Market at 2116 East Main. DON"T park in the parking lot next to it. That belongs to the apartment complex in the rear, and they're really anal about people parking in "their" lot. You WILL get towed. The best spots are on the dead-end stub of 22nd street next to that same lot.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3