Skip to content
Im a beginner, Shou...

Notifications
Clear all

Im a beginner, Should I learn to play with a Pick or with the fingers?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lokariototal)
Topic starter  

Hello,

What is better, to learn with a pick or with fingers? Why?

(@alangreen)

Both.

But... Plectrum skills can be learned quite easily. Finger skills will take you a lifetime.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

There is no right or wrong answer to this age old question . There are some things that will be easier to play with your fingers than with a pick and vice versa . Musical preference also has much to do with the choice . Certain styles of music demand that you play with fingers . There are also certain songs and techniques (pinch harmonics , shredding , and sweep picking) that would be extremely hard to play without a pick . You will find the finger players , who are in the minority , are very vocal about their preference . I think you will also find that many pick players will use their fingers on occasion .
When it comes right down to it , YOU are the one to decide which you like best .

Finally , the best advice I can give you is ... identify your favorite guitar players and use what they use .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@lokariototal)
Topic starter  

There is no right or wrong answer to this age old question . There are some things that will be easier to play with your fingers than with a pick and vice versa . Musical preference also has much to do with the choice . Certain styles of music demand that you play with fingers . There are also certain songs and techniques (pinch harmonics , shredding , and sweep picking) that would be extremely hard to play without a pick . You will find the finger players , who are in the minority , are very vocal about their preference . I think you will also find that many pick players will use their fingers on occasion .
When it comes right down to it , YOU are the one to decide which you like best .

Finally , the best advice I can give you is ... identify your favorite guitar players and use what they use .

but do you think I should "specialize" in one of these styles..? (Fingers or pick)

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Any opinion I would give you would be based on what music you like to listen to and which guitarists you would like to be able to play like . If your favorite guitarists play with a pick , use a pick . If they play with their fingers , use your fingers . You can also learn both .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Me Play Bass, Me use Fingers :lol:

But seriously, I've played a little finger style guitar also and reaching higher notes is easier (quicker) than string skipping with a pick. IMO

Pat

ReplyQuote