Clear all

I Got To Try Out A Xaviere Tonight!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This ought to get the hairs raised on the back of some necks after a recent quality thread. At any rate.....

A very good friend of mine came over tonight whom I had not played with in probably 18 months. Between my ear and skull woes and him going through even a rougher time of things, it has not panned out. So, I forwarded him a link to this. http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvglwhgohafi.html Things are settling down for him these days, so he rewards himself and orders one. It came in today and he brought it over. We had his Xavier "LP" and my Epi "LP" going into my tube amps. Man, did that ever sound sweet.

So, I guess a quick review is in order. Some might know of Guitar-Fetish. Internet purveyor of GFS pick-ups and other guitar parts. Not top of the line, but damned good for the price. I've got 2 1/2 guitars with GFSs in them. This guitar is the more expensive version because of the gold hardware. The others go for only $179.

At any rate, the guitar as compared to my Epi LP Custom. It sounds really great clean and distorted. It's got that growl when you hop on it, but sings like a song bird when you want it to as well. He even got decent crunch tones when he dropped the low E to a D. Three rough edged fret wires....and I'm being really picky. All on the bottom side and near the body. I think it was 18, 19 and 20. The POTS, which I can't stand on the LP, are pretty much all or nothing on one of the tone knobs. I didn't try it on the other three knobs. It's like 1 was mud and 3 was screeching bright. Somewhere in the middle was the golden tone.

I didn't plug his into the amp I was using. We just handed guitars back and forth. So, I can't really do a valid comparison between the two tone-wise, except to say that his sounded really nice too.

So, it's no Gibson, but it IS a very good guitar and was fun to play even with the action a touch high. Well, it might not be too high for many. I tend to bring mine down really low using the Nils instruction sheets. Lets put it this way, the action felt average compared to what a lot of the $300-$600 guitars feel like off of most guitar store walls. Oh, and the weight was substantial. You could really feel the difference. The Xaviere was really heavy. I kind of like that though. :?

Well, I've rambled long enough.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Thanks for the review, I've been wanting to hear from someone like you on a forum (don't know you other than this forum, but know you from this forum, so your word carries more weight than Joe Blow on Harmony Central, etc...).

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks reb. Yeah, the HC reviews can get weird. Everyone buys a certain guitar, gives it a 10 for sound and then talks about the pickups they put in it. Makes it kind of hard to discern reality from drum thumping.

I guess a side by side review of the Rondo brand (Agile) and the Xaviere would be something interesting. I've heard an Agile once, but never played one.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote