Skip to content
Help - University p...

Notifications
Clear all

Help - University project (UPDATE, Questions for MODS/ADMIN)

39 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Good, good!

Thank you for your answers!

If anybody wants to answer the questionnaire, it's not too late! :)

Thanks!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Can we answer twice? . . . because . . .

I don't think I got any of the answers right. :shock:

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Can we answer twice? . . . because . . .

I don't think I got any of the answers right. :shock:

KR2

Yeah, what KR2 said. It was way too tough the first time around. I needed a hug afterwards. :cry: :cry:

Seems we should be able to muster a few more people up as you're a long time GN'er and one of us, not some no-name with 1 post that never contributed anything. Nick, get that whip out. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi Claudine

Hope these help...

1. What motivates you to visit the discussion forums of Guitar Noise on a regular basis? To what do you attribute the success and longevity of Guitar Noise?

The feeling of belonging to a community of like-minded people who are as passionate about their music and playing as you are, and something that is very difficult to replicate in everyday life. The success of GN I believe is down to the efforts of the guys that make the site happen from day to day, their relatively unbiased views and the love of music.

2. Do you consider Guitar Noise as a virtual community? If so, why?

When I log on and post comments etc, I don't think of it as a 'virtual' community, because there's nothing 'virtual' about the people on this site - they're real people, not automatons, you never know what you're going to get back...

3. What are the differences between the social relations that you maintain on Guitar Noise and the ones you have in “real life”

The majority of social relations I have in real-life like music, but don't play or think about what is involved in playing music. I don't think anyone on this site would get 'bored' of talking music, equipment, songwriting etc... :? Also there is a great mix of humour which is great, a great mix of characters and intellect...

4. Does Guitar Noise fulfill a void in your life?

In a way, yes. It does allow me to chat about my hobby whenever I feel the need. There's no-one around I can do that with.

5. How do you imagine your life without Guitar Noise?

I'd get more work done! :D But seriously, I suppose it would seem very odd and isolated to start with, but I suppose you get used to it in the end. Let's hope I don't need to find out.. :wink:

6. Does Guitar Noise help you to learn? How so?

Everything, from beginners lessons to stringing guitars to comments on songwriting - virtually anything you ask a question about you can get an answer on, and usually very quickly. It's a great place for information.

7. Would you be able and more so would you have the money, patience and motivation to learn and better yourself without Guitar Noise?

No, not really. I started learning without GN. In my first year of learning I got great pleasure and support from fellow beginners on GN but I don't think I would have progressed any quicker than I did. The motivation was always there.

8. In your opinion, does a collective project exist in the Guitar Noise community?

Yes, I have seen collective projects, if you mean people working together to make a GN album, or pairs of individuals collaborating to make a song or tune, yes. I think it's great that people that have never met face to face can get along and spend time and effort working together. It's something that I will be certainly persuing when the time is right..

9. According to you, does a social structure exist in Guitar Noise comparable to real life? What form does it take?

I suppose it's amusing that I tend to think of some of the people that are giving the lessons as teachers, gurus. You respect them for their knowledge and you give them respect as you would have when you were at school. You can also be disciplined for stepping out of line in the forum chats.. :wink:

Thank you very much!

Hope this is usefull. Didn't read anyone else's answers so this isn't steered by any previous entries.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, very useful Dylan! Thanks again to you all!

I got like 10 pages of answers on WORD :D

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Yes, very useful Dylan! Thanks again to you all!

I got like 10 pages of answers on WORD :D
Oh Lordy :( . . . I hope your professor has a sense of humor.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It was a great idea to put some humor in your answers Ken.

It will show the reality of the community! Guitar, fun, humor, etc!

It's nice, don't worry :wink:

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

1. What motivates you to visit the discussion forums of Guitar Noise on a regular basis? To what do you attribute the success and longevity of Guitar Noise?
I can learn and I can pass on my knowledge. Big egos tend to be checked at the login page and everyone is prepared to help everyone else out. It's not just what motivates me to come back, but also the reason for its longevity and success.
When was the last time you saw anyone get flamed on GN? When do you see bad language on GN? Even young people can come here and feel welcome.

Yes, I do. Take any newbie, who comes and asks a question. There are invariably answers from all sorts of GN members, from other newbies, who have the same problem, to others, who have just been through it, to experienced players, who are, perhaps, teaching newbies how to deal with the problem on a regular basis.
Anyone can join GN and, not only feel welcome, but feel themselves to be a part of GN

3. What are the differences between the social relations that you maintain on Guitar Noise and the ones you have in “real life”
Apart from the physical aspect, very little. Whilst my answer to 9) may seem to contradict this, it doesn't. I take the same basic approach on GN as in real life.

I wouldn't call it a void, but it does fulfill a function.

There are a load of lessons and articles, from which to learn. I also find that I learn from researching answers to questions, that I know nothing about or am not certain of the answer.

7. Would you be able and more so would you have the money, patience and motivation to learn and better yourself without Guitar Noise?
I could never have the broad spectrum of knowledge and experience without something like GN, no matter how much money I had

8. In your opinion, does a collective project exist in the Guitar Noise community?
There are many - SSG, regular jams, etc., apart from the overall "project" of learning to play better.

9. According to you, does a social structure exist in Guitar Noise comparable to real life? What form does it take?
Yes and no. The more experienced disseminate their knowledge to the less experienced, but there is no school structure, in the sense of teacher and student. There is a structure, based on experience and knowledge. Whereas, in real life, this would probably manifest itself as teacher/student, mentor/trainee or manager/employee, there is no such relationship, here on GN.
Where in real life, one person may consider himself (for whatever reason) to be superior/inferior to another, GN levels the playing field. Real life social attitudes count for nothing on GN, everyone is equal.
Interestingly, GN is a very lightly moderated site. Whilst there are a number of mods, most of the time, spent in moderation, is rooting out and removing spam. If anyone does get out of line, a quiet PM is, usually, sufficient. I think that speaks volumes for the social structure of GN. Instead of flaming others, members tend to go away, calm down and then return - were that so in real life! There is a great amount of respect for the GN community, which seems to be lacking in real life.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

HEy all!

I wanted to know if there was a "SECRET SECTION" on Guitar Noise...

A section where only the moderators and admin can go and post...

If yes, can I have more details about that? It's for my university project again. I want to know if a certain kind of community exist on GN (Practice community, more complex than just a virtual community).

And to discover that, I need more details about the "GN backstage"

What are you talking about there?
Are you trying to find some solutions to make GN better?
Any others interesting details will be appreciate.

You can answer me in private if you prefer.

Thanks!

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think it, perhaps, best if either David Hodge or Nick give you the low down on that.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

More than happy to help - will PM later today.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

For the most part boredom, but since I do attempt to play guitar I like to read the forum posts. I'm not sure I can assess the longevity issue. Not sure how long it's been around and so I don't know what the longevity is due to. I know some people have attributed the longevity to the people and the fact there is no flaming going on but I don't think that's the reason. There are many other guitar sites that are no where near as civil as this yet they still thrive so I personally don't think that's the reason.

Yes, since it only exists in cyberspace.

The interaction on this site happens mostly via a computer and text. Real "social" relations invlove a more intimate real world interaction.

Time killer

Exactly the same

To some degree

99% of what I have learned has come from other sources

I guess the jams can be considered a collective project.

I guess to some degree it does exist and I know many of you have gotten together in real life as have I with a few members

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

boredom. the desire to share. it's got a lot of good beginner advice.

yes, i guess. because a large forum is pretty much the definition of a virtual community.

i'm censored here. in real life, everyone i know over the age of 7 and under the age of dead curses.
there's also a lower level of emotion online, since there's no physical presence.

kills time, lets me talk about the guitar in a limited manner, but since people take different musical directions, it's hard to find anyone to help me with the problems i run into at this point.

i'd probably practice more, or play more video games.

it did when i was a beginner. not so much, now.

there isn't anything here that i can't find free somewhere else, but it's convenient.

yeah, we're going to start a commune and when we get enough members, invade poland.

i guess. rings of people with similar outlooks. people shooting the ****, talking about what interests them, telling bad jokes. less sex and violence.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Claudine, you've got what I'd say is a nice cross-section of the membership...apart from your private message from David, you've had answers from five other moderators - Nick, Elecktrablue, Alan Green, Greybeard and me. Some from long-term members, and some from people who haven't been here that long.

Just thought I'd mention it in passing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member

Well, i'm a newbie to guitars in general. The simple fact that GN provides a huge amount of info for beginners and the opportunity to ask questions to very experienced guitar players is another reason to visit the forum regulary. The second question is a bit more challenging... I guess GN never stands stil, every hour there's more info, more things to learn over here.

You can't argue this is virtual that's for sure... In my opinion, GN and many forums like this aren't just "forums". If you look at GN members who became friends, you'd be surprised! Therefore, you can call this a community yes.

In real life, things are more emotional than here. I don't say we can't make fun here, but for example: when you post a reply, you can carefully choose your words, rewrite a sentence, ... . In real life, when you talk to someone, that's not possible.

There's a place for GN for me yes, though i've joined not so long ago. A void isn't the right word, let's say it takes a particular place in my life without having magnificant influence on it (yet).

For me, that wouldn't be that shocking (yet). Like i said before, i've joined less than a week ago so fo me it's perfectly normal living without GN.

Yes, first of all i've learned some things about guitars here and i will learn alot of things here i'm sure. I think i'll improve my english a bit over her also (my mother language is dutch).

I think GN has a "healing" influence for people who learn the guitar yes. For beginners, it's a relief to hear experienced guitar players started just like they did. I think it'll be harder to be patient and to have the motivation to keep going.

Of course, learning people how to play guitar and make guitar more popular sounds like a major project over here :)

I'm not sure what you mean with social structure... However, i'll try to answer. I think there's some kind of structure here. Everyone listens to the veterans over here... The admins have a great influence and if someone who plays the guitar for 1 year gives an answer and another one who plays the guitar for 30 years disagrees, i think the "rookie" will admit he's made a fault.

Hope it'll be useful!

Kind regards,

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why we
call it the present!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3