Skip to content
Help - University p...

Notifications
Clear all

Help - University project (UPDATE, Questions for MODS/ADMIN)

39 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

UPDATE: Questions for Moderators and admin

HEy all!

I wanted to know if there was a "SECRET SECTION" on Guitar Noise...

A section where only the moderators and admin can go and post...

If yes, can I have more details about that? It's for my university project again. I want to know if a certain kind of community exist on GN (Practice community, more complex than just a virtual community).

And to discover that, I need more details about the "GN backstage"

What are you talking about there?
Are you trying to find some solutions to make GN better?
Any others interesting details will be appreciate.

You can answer me in private if you prefer.

Thanks!

Original message:

Hi everybody!

I asked Nick a couple of weeks ago if I could ask you to answer some questions for a University project.

He accepted and now, I need your help, I need your opinion and your answers! :D

The subject of the project is Virtual Community. I choose Guitar Noise which is a virtual community, in my opinion. Now here's the questions I need you to answer to complete my research.

(If you don't know what to answer to one of the question, skip it, it doesn't matter if you don't answer to all of the questions).

1. What motivates you to visit the discussion forums of Guitar Noise on a regular basis? To what do you attribute the success and longevity of Guitar Noise?

2. Do you consider Guitar Noise as a virtual community? If so, why?

3. What are the differences between the social relations that you maintain on Guitar Noise and the ones you have in “real life”

4. Does Guitar Noise fulfill a void in your life?

5. How do you imagine your life without Guitar Noise?

6. Does Guitar Noise help you to learn? How so?

7. Would you be able and more so would you have the money, patience and motivation to learn and better yourself without Guitar Noise?

8. In your opinion, does a collective project exist in the Guitar Noise community?

9. According to you, does a social structure exist in Guitar Noise comparable to real life? What form does it take?

Thank you very much!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

1. What motivates you to visit the discussion forums of Guitar Noise on a regular basis? To what do you award the success and longevity of Guitar Noise?

I think you mean "attribute", not "award". I visit because a) it is one of the most informative sites on the internet and b) it is a community. You get to know people and, even if you never meet them in person, become friends. I think it is a success for those same reasons.

Yes. People interact and share ideas. A question will spur a discussion and result in several people collaborating on the answer. A lot of forums are just questions followed by 6 different and separate answers.

3. What are the differences between the social relations that you maintain on Guitar Noise and the ones you have in “real life”

I don't play poker with anyone on here. "I swear I have 4 Aces!"

Yea, even though I'm surrounded by musicians in real life, you don't always have time to discuss the music or the gear.

A little flat. Sorry. I definitely wouldn't play guitar/bass as well as I do now. Which means I would play about as well as a monkey having a seizure.

6. Does Guitar Noise allows you to learn? How so?

Probably mean "help" instead of "allow" (no 's'). There is a ton of information on the main site, plus all the brain power that visits the forum daily is enough to power a small town.

7. Would you be able and more so would you have the money, patience and motivation to learn and better yourself without Guitar Noise?

It's hard to say. I would probably have the motivation to learn without it, but probably not the patience.

8. In your opinion, does a collective project exist in the Guitar Noise community?

Yes. If aliens landed on our planet hundreds of years from now and stumbled across archives of GN, they'd be starting a cover band within a month.

9. According to you, does a social structure exist in Guitar Noise comparable to real life? What form does it take?

There is definitely a social structure. It's like a large group of friends or social club. I'm amazed at how little the moderators actually have to police. We mostly keep ourselves on track, just like a group of friends. Every once in a while, that one friend has to pull another aside and tell him he's making everyone else mad.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

1. What motivates you to visit the discussion forums of Guitar Noise on a regular basis? To what do you award the success and longevity of Guitar Noise?

I always learn something from Guitar Noise every time I log in. I think that GN's success and longevity is due in large part to the wonderful members we have here. We have built a community of musicians who come here to learn and teach in a family-friendly atmosphere. Wars are not permitted. It's a joy to interact with GN Members.

Yes, I do consider GN a virtual community. Even though most of us have never met face to face, GN is like a "neighborhood", if you will. But in this "neighborhood" all of the "homeowners" share a common love of music in general and the guitar in particular. There are some neighbors that you simply pass, smile and nod "hello" to, and then there are those who impact your life on a daily basis.

Other than being able to interact with people in a face to face manner as opposed to a "virtual" manner, I can't really say that there's much difference. In both the "real" world and the "virtual" one, I try to treat everyone as I would wish to be treated, with respect, understanding, sympathy when necessary. You can't forget that in a "virtual" world, the people you are interacting with are still "real" people, with their own ideas, strengths, weaknesses and emotions. If you treat people like they don't really exist except on the computer, then you really have no place in the "virtual" community.

No, I wouldn't say it fills a void. I would have to say that it enhances an already full life. It brings new ideas into your "real" life. It expands your thinking in ways that you might never experience in "real" life.

I think I would have had to struggle considerably more than I have trying to progress in my playing and I don't believe I would be as far along as I am today. And I wouldn't have made as many friends (certainly not from around the world) as I have through GN.

Definitely. After not playing guitar for over 20 years (after having played for more than 10), Guitar Noise is the place where I have learned the most. If I can't understand something, I simply have to post the question and will receive several well though out answers to that question. I learn something every single time I come to GN.

No. Some of us simply cannot afford personal instructors at $50 or more per hour. And, the people on GN motivate me greatly! When I read that someone has broken that barrier that he or she has been battling with, it makes me more determined to break my own barriers.

Definitely. That project would be to learn and in turn, teach.

Yes, I believe there is a social structure, but, in my opinion, it's more like a family structure. There are, as anyone who has spent any time at GN knows, some very wise people here. They would be the "parents" trying to teach those who have not yet reached their level of wisdom how to attain it. The moderators are kind of like the friendly "Aunts" and "Uncles". We offer advice but we try not to interfere unless we find it absolutely necessary, but we don't "spank" anybody without the "parents" permission. And, I hope no one takes offense to this, but, then there are the "kids". Those would be the brand new beginners ("infants", "toddlers", and "tweens" if you will), as well as those members who have progressed beyond absolute beginner status and have moved into more difficult terrain (teenagers), who eventually hope to become wise enough to become "parents" themselves.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Clau!

Good luck with your project!

Acquire knowledge on guitars and music and try to help to others (if I could). Some members (usually moderators but also some non-moderators) maintain a good relationship between them, the rest of the members participate but they (we) are not long time users.

Yes, it has all the attributes of a community and it is virtual, isn't?

I only speak about guitars and music at GN, that is the topic of these forums. Obviously I maintain empathy and a different relationship with some members. But the real life is different at least for me.

No.

Guitar Noise is a great site but I think I could live without it. As I previously said, I am here for music and guitars. I guess I'd search the info in books or other forums.

Yes, sometimes your questions are solved here, directly or indirectly. You also can learn from the experience of the other members.

Yes, it is a great site but there are also more information sources available.

No. Perhaps there are several collective projects and I don't mean only the collaborations. People could share the same objectives but there is not a global collective project.

Yes, it exists. It always exists in each group and community, real or virtual. To me, it is composed by a small group, an elite, that control, govern, show the path to the others. I mean elite, I don't refer to moderators. There is also a group of more or less stable members that participate. And there is a third group of visitors.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Claudine, haven't seen you around for a while - guess university's keeping you busy? Anyway, here's my answers....

1. What motivates you to visit the discussion forums of Guitar Noise on a regular basis? To what do you award the
success and longevity of Guitar Noise?

I learned a lot from Guitarnoise, and I'm still learning - but part of GN's strength is that you take a little
out, you put something back. I'm now answering the questions I was asking a few years ago, and, remembering how I
was back then, trying to answer them they way I would have wanted to be answered back then. As to longevity, I'd
say it's because the site is so well structured, and so diverse - there's something here for everyone. There's a
general spirit of the forum that everyone tries to help everyone else - a friendliness that I haven't found
anywhere else.

Definitely. It's a gathering of like-minded individuals with a couple of common goals - to better oneself, and
to help others better themselves.

3. What are the differences between the social relations that you maintain on Guitar Noise and the ones you have
in “real life?”

Real life involves more than talking about guitars. Well - sometimes, anyway!

Another "definitely." I know very few guitarists/musicians in real life - at Guitarnoise, I feel like I know
hundreds!

A lot duller! I've made a lot of virtual friends through GN - and more than a couple of real friends who I
wouldn't have met otherwise.

There's a wealth of information here - and there are no time limits, no examinations and no pressure. I've
been drawn into exploring musical genres - blues and country, for example - that I'd previously barely scraped
the surface of.

7. Would you be able and more so would you have the money, patience and motivation to learn and better yourself
without Guitar Noise?

I'd find the money somehow - but I'd find it more difficult to motivate myself without the support of my
friends here, and as for patience - well, I've already mentioned how much easily accessible information there
is. Without that easy access, I think I'd pretty soon lose interest.

There's definitely a community spirit here - collectively, I'd say there are a lot of individuals all working
towards the same goal....which leads me to question 9....

9. According to you, does a social structure exist in Guitar Noise comparable to real life? What form does it
take?

Although there is a hierarchy of sorts, it's very informal - I'd say Guitarnoise is more comparable to a
Kibbutz, or a collective - everyone's virtually equal, and everyone's working to the same ultimate purpose -
to be a better musician, and to help each other.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for your complete answers! :D

And thank you to Jwmartin for the corrections (some terms were not OK, english is not my first langage so.. :oops: )

I made the change.

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey Claudine, good to see you. Hope school's going well. I'll answer without looking at other's answers.....for purity's sake.

1A: Social interaction, sharing experiences and learning new things.

1B: Respectful discussion, very little "flaming" or "bullying" that happens elsewhere in the digital world.

2: Yes. Many shared charactaristics with a real one, especially small town atmospheres. Examples include willingness to help, concern for other's well-being, birthday wishes, people jamming together (virtually), knowledge transfer, old people, young people, etc.

3: One's mannerisms and personality traits get conveyed via written word rather than visually and audibly. As an example, you get no assistance in the forms or voice inflection (spelling?), facial expressions, body language, etc, unless someone puts an emoticon up or if you "know" this person well enough to apply learned behaviorial patterns to what the person said.

4: Yes. I've been ill for over a year and a half and don't get out a whole lot. This helps on a social level.

5: I've disappeared in the past for months at a time. Normally due to being busy with other interests, work load, etc. Right now, I'd find some other way to interact with people and the world. It relates to question #4.

6: Yes. GN is a great enabler due to it's people and it's site content. It's information content is available to anyone, and if you're not a flaming jerk, it can be interactive via questions and answers.

7: Yes.

8: Not one. Many.

9: Yes. The work place.

OK, now a question for you. If motorcycles had doors, how many pancakes would it take to fill up a dog house? Explain.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK, now a question for you. If motorcycles had doors, how many pancakes would it take to fill up a dog house? Explain.

ANSWER - Not many. The doghouse contains guitars, a bass, a banjo, amps, recording equipment, stompboxes, etc, etc - when Smokindog gets in there, there isn't much room for pancakes!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

ANSWER - Not many. The doghouse contains guitars, a bass, a banjo, amps, recording equipment, stompboxes, etc, etc - when Smokindog gets in there, there isn't much room for pancakes!

Vic

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

1. What motivates you to visit the discussion forums of Guitar Noise on a regular basis? To what do you attribute the success and longevity of Guitar Noise?

Learning, sharing experiences, 'meeting' and getting to know people and their ideas, opinons etc. Like-minded souls, common interest, friendly and (mostly) non-judgemental environment.

Yes - it's a meeting place of people with the same interests who interact. And it comes with some of the baggage of real communities, hierarchies, groups, ...

Real life is very local, face to face - GN is global and virtual. Sometimes the 2 meet, and it's great.

No - the guitar fills a void in my life. GN assists me in learning and developing, and it's one of many resources available.

Just fine - there are many other similar communities out there (perhaps not as friendly and helpful as this one).

Yes - read what other people are doing, ask questions, get help, lessons, experience, songs for beginners etc.

Yes - I could technically learn more outside GN by getting a teacher or going to a collegge. The benefit of GN is that the learning is a holistic experience and doesn't just work on a technical level.

No - if you define project as an outcome or deliverable that can be measured and costed.
Yes - if you define project as a goal and purpose that we all share and work towards.

Yes - main group, close-knit network - there are opinion-makers - technical gurus - etc. And there are people who keep it all together, will sort out issues, calm nerves etc.

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again!

When I talk about "collective project", I mean something like the section "Sunday Songwriter Group", "Guitar Noise Songwriting Group" or the online collaboration between members.

Exemple, three members will play the guitar, the other one will play the bass and another one will find a drum beat.

Is this a collective project?
What do you think of those activity?

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yeah, happy to take part.

It's a place where I can exchange ideas, find out what's happening in the non-factory world, pass the time of day. It's longevity is down to having decent membership

Yep, most definitely.

I'm far more careful what I say

Not any more

I might practise a bit more

No. Yes. No, I was right first time. Yes. No. Geez, that's a hard one. What was the question again? I learned an awful lot before I found GN.

Yes.

Yes, to get more people playing guitar. If it stops them dropping bombs on each other it's a good thing

Yep. We have a community where everybody's opinion is valid, we have management/ leadership and we have law enforcement in the form of the moderators

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Like the scarecrow, I'm looking for a brain.

Because, they say, this is where the wizard lives. Gnease is that you?

Yes because it meets the definition of virtual community.

In real life I can use profanity.

Yes, otherwise my life is utterly meaningless . . .
I'm a ship with no rudder . . . with tattered sails . . . drifting on a vast ocean of uncertainty and . . .

Why are you asking that? Is it filing for bankruptcy too?

Yes. I learned not to use profanity here.

Yes . . .
although I would have the money, patience, and motivation without Guitar Noise I would . . .
(now you're making me cry) . . . I would be poorer if it wasn't for the virtual treasures I have found within its virtual walls.

Yes, we are all virtually collectively groping for . . . some life fulfilling sense of purpose . . . virtually.

Yes a virtual social structure exists and Nick is the virtual warden . . . the moderators are the virtual trustees.
But you can virtually leave anytime by clicking your heels three times and saying "Yes We Can"

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't know if my answers count, since I'm the Illustrious Leader of the Ministry of Moderation.

A couple of things bring me back regularly. I can keep track of what some people are doing musically. I can make myself a better songwriter in the SSG. I can see some of the problems some of the newer guitarists are having and that connects me to the issues I had myself. That in turn makes me a better teacher. It's so easy to think I could always play barre chords. Finally, the feeling of giving back is great. Knowing that what I've done here has helped thousands of guitarists makes me feel like I'm doing my Karma good.

Yes and no. I'd just answer no, but you'd get the wrong impression. There is nothing virtual about it. I've met many of the members that I never would have met except for this site. The first time I met David, Greg, Kathy, Jeff, Celt, Jim, Tony, etc. etc it was like I'd known them for years. In truth I had know them for years, just online. When I do meet Vic and Alan it will be just like meeting old friends, because they are my old friends. So yes it's a community, but to call it virtual minimizes how wonderful it really is.

They have become one and the same, except I don't have to shower before I get on guitarnoise.

Yes, without guitar noise I'd be guitar noiseless. Guitar Noise connects me with many more musicians than I could connect to in real life.

I wouldn't know what to do with the free time. Do you mean if I quit cold turkey? I'd really miss the interaction and learning and teaching. If I'd never discovered it in the first place? I imagine my life a lot colder, less musical and sadder. Learning to play and the friends I've made online and in person mean the world to me.

Every day. Lessons, critiquing others and seeing my mistakes in their work, finding new ways to do the same old things all teach me. Take a look at the thread "What I've learned in my 800 days" for examples.

No I wouldn't. I figure the guitarnoise site gives me about 5 hourly lessons worth of information per month. That would be about $300/month. I can't make that kind of expenditure with the economy as it is today. And no, without someone here that can hear me play what I've mastered, I wouldn't be motivated.

Lots of them do. We have collaborative lyric writing in SSG, we have collaborative songwriting, we have online jams. There is a bigger collaborative project though, to freely share guitar knowledge and to encourage guitar playing everywhere we can.

A) Yes, it's a bit like pre-war Iraq.
B) I'm the Saddam Hussein of Moderators

I'm kidding. I've used this analogy before but the structure here is more like a family at the dinner table. All of the family and guests gather around and have a great time sharing stories and eating. Every so often mom says, "Get your elbows off the table" and the conversation continues.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

How it's moderated! (THANKS for not posting some of my crappier posts, Nick!)

Well...yeah. Guess so. Why? Guitar is esoteric, etherial...so that, in itself, is virtual.

I don't have to feed anyone, pay for college/cars/petrol/clothes/braces/shoes/etc for anyone on GN!

Maybe. Maybe a little like a chord that's got one open string in it. You do things in life purposefully and sone things come along for the ride...

Geez. We're not talkin' cyber sex here...it's a blokey, open a tinny, twist uppa dubassa, gassbag opportunity.

Sure! For the most part to learn what not to do! :lol:

Ya mean did we all decide to play guitar after stumbling upon GN??? Yer gonna give Nick a fat head w/that question!

Hmmm. Could be. But not open to view...maybe private collaborations. I've been robbed blind of uncopywritten stuff umpteen times...even to the point of a courtroom for remedy. NEVER AGAIN!

Well..it is real life, isn't it??? To the point...I've come across more than a few people on GN that are well and truly ready to "give up their day job" and make heaps of money and, ultimately, a more satisfied set to life with their six strings...but...they either don't know it or are just too reticent to give it a go.

How'z zat?

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3