Clear all

Guitar quotes

31 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

just thought i'd make a little thread about guitar related quotes. Just a place for you to submit your fave quote with regards to the 6-string goddess.

heres my fave:

"playing guitar and being a virgin is a strange idea to me now, its like wanking and knowing youre not producing any sperm" -Graham Coxon

This signature is a forgery.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

"We realized our instruments were broken, that's how the concert ended."
-- Brij Bhushan Kabra

"Cream was like the Ornette Coleman band, with Eric unknowingly being Ornette - we just didn't tell him."
-- Jack Bruce

"I don't play for the guitarists in the audience. I play for the musicians."
-- Frank Gambale

"Stop listening to other guitar players. Stop listening to me."
-- Yngwie Malmsteen

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Arjen , isn't that first quote of yours of an indian musician ? Glad to know that they are known outside our country too.

And now the quote -

''When i play , its not the fingers , its me , my brain and my soul''

- Myself

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

He sure is Indian, the first to play indian music on a classical 'western-world' guitar as far as I know. I think Indian music made it's western breakthrough in the sixties, and although you won't find it in the charts you will find it in local music stores.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Here are a few of my favorites

"Secretly, I wanted to look like Jimi Hendrix, but I could never quite pull it off." -Bryan Ferry / Roxy Music

"Music should never be harmless."- Robbie Robertson / The Band

"Music makes me high on stage, and that's the truth. It's like being almost addicted to music." - Jimi Hendrix

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." -John Lennon / Beatles

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

He sure is Indian, the first to play indian music on a classical 'western-world' guitar as far as I know. I think Indian music made it's western breakthrough in the sixties, and although you won't find it in the charts you will find it in local music stores.
Jimmy Page playing White Summer is pretty much an Indian style instrumental peice.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

"Hmm only if they're a piece of crap guitar... there will be NO smashing of my Explorer!!!!" - Tara Mcleod

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Frank Zappa

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Guitar bands are on the way out" - Decca Records executive - to Brian Epstein - turning down the chance to sign the Beatles.

"I don't have a love affair with the guitar, I don't sit and polish it, I just play the bloody thing" - Pete Townshend.

"Rock and roll? Monkey music - it won't last!" - Frank Sinatra.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"They want to play the blues so bad, and they play it so bad. They buy me everything, they treat me like God, but they can't play worth a shit!"

Sonny Boy Williamson, on British R 'n' B bands in the mid 1960s

(Cleaned up by the board's censoring software.) :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

"Guitar bands are on the way out" - Decca Records executive - to Brian Epstein - turning down the chance to sign the Beatles.What a bloody visionary 'e was! :lol:
Here's another one along the same line: "The guitar's all right John, but you'll never make a living with it" -- John Lennon's Aunt Mimi. (Who bought him his first guitar.)

And one of my favorites: "I would advise you to . . . play every day; and take it in front of other people. They need to hear it, and you need them to hear it." — James Taylor
I have that one on the "business cards" I give to other amateur guitarists I meet. The cards have a dedicated email address so potential "jamming buddies" can contact me.

ReplyQuote
(@apoxx)

I beleive it was Jimmy Page (not sure it was Page either, thats who came to mind when I thought of the article I read) who once took a visit to Eric Claptons house and seen that every room had like a guitar shrine in it. I guess he told clapton that he had like 3 main guitars and asked why he needed so many.

Clapton said "because it's a tax write-off"

I might have the story a bit twisted but that was pretty much it..

And I'd love to be in the position to say such a thing..lol

"GO BIG RED!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Apoxx,
If, like any conscientious citizen, you declare earnings from playing gigs on your income tax return, you are also entitled to reclaim the costs of that occupation, such as guitars and amps, as they are tools of the trade.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

And who can forget the playing of sitar in 'Norweigan Wood'

Also , this quote of lennon , which led to widespread outrages -

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. … I don't know what will go first—Rock and Roll or Christianity. We're more popular than Jesus now. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me." - Lennon.

Read all about it here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon#.22More_popular_than_Jesus.22_controversy

Pretty weird !

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It was a comment Lennon made to Maureen Cleave who published it in a piece on the mundane lives of the Beatles. When it was published in Britain, no one took much notice. Later, when published in the US out of context, it led to a firestorm of controversy that resulted in the burning of Beatles lps and in the KKK's threatening to disrupt their shows. Lennon eventually made a public apology. What's sad is that the comment was wholly misunderstood. Lennon was commenting on what he saw as a change in the youth culture and a loss of influence from the church. He wasn't, as he later stated, suggesting that the Beatles were comparable to the church or should be, but rather he was observing that pop culture had become the greatest influence on the lives of young people. I rather suspect that most sociologists would have called Lennon a keen observer. And that's all he was doing -- making an observation.

But it isn't exactly a guitar quotation. And I suspect it would be best to keep the thread focused on observations about guitars rather than observations on religion and society! :wink:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3