Foo Fighters

24 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Anyone pick up the newFoo Fighters CD. I think it came out today and it's been getting great reviews I love the one song I've heard Rope and the video is pretty cool too.

I saw a a show on them over the weekend and that got me pumped to learn a new Foo Fighter song.

My current favorite is "The Pretender" which I'm working on now.

We are trying to reform are old garage band with a new guitarist and hopefully we'll be playing some Foo Fighters.

Dave Grohl seems to be one of the most down to earth guys in the business, after being in one of the most famous bands of all time Nirvana he still just acts like regular guy, no ego at all, gotta love that.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

I have to admit i am rubbish when it comes to music knowledge. I actually saw the Foo Fighters support Oasis a few years ago in the only proper gig i have ever been to.

I am ashamed to admit i had no idea who they were, but i loved every song i heard, and each one was new to me. That is a sign to me that i like a band, usually a song takes me a couple of listens to get to like it, but they rocked me from the off.

I didnt realise they had a new cd out, but thanks for the heads up on that, i think i will treat myself to it tomorrow.

who is the new guitarist in your band cnev? How did you find him?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I bought it today and I can review it right now: If you like the foo fighters overall formula of song writing, you'll like this record as well. Theres no reinvention and no big changes besides all the songs sound heavier. Depending on who you are this is either good or bad. Its a decent record but for sure theres no groundbreaking advances or techniques.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ness thanks for the review. I wasn't really expecting anything radically new from them but I have a new found "respect" if you can call it that after watching the show.

Dave Grohl has to be one of the most down to earth guys in music he has such a laid back attitude without any ego.

I always liked Foo Fighters but didn't necessarily love them but if you look bcak at their body of work they are starting to put together some really decent songs.

Al we found the guitarist through Craigslist he's coming by next Friday to "audition" although like I told him it's more about the chemistry with the rest of the guys rather than his playing, he's been in bands before, his last was a Motley Crue cover band so I'm sure he's got enough skills to play.

Of course we will have the same issue no "real" singer but will take it from there.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Picked up the Foo Fighters CD yesterday. It's got a lot more lead licks on it than any other Foos album, so it's good to see them developing musically. It's good stuff.

I don't understand why Pat Smear came back though; it's not as though they needed a third axeman.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Dave said in the documentary that Foo Fighters is a guitar driven band and the more guitars the better, those guys are always playing totally different riffs and rarely if ever double guitar parts.

But Dave's roots are in the punk scene in LA where they met Pat ( who changed his name to Pap Smear, so I've been told but can't seem to confirm) when all the punk guys were doing that, like Jonny Rotten etc. Dave is all about respecting the musicians and the music that came before him. Pat or Pap basically has an open invitation to play with the band whenever he wants. I'm not sure if he's really back in the band or just doing this album and the tour with them.

Pat was one of the guys involved in the early punk scene.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The foo fighters is one of those bands that I will listen to whenever it happens to come on. I can dig 'em and I do not think them to be bad at all. I just can't relate to the music enough to really, really like them......and it sucks for me. There are a few others, too. Not sure what it is. I really liked the pre-cursor to this style. My son loves this type of music and harder stuff. Maybe I don't have the energy to feel the emotion or energy in it? Maybe it's because I cannot turn it up and that is perhaps where it needs to be listened to?

Or maybe I'm just getting old and anything harder than Thin Lizzy is too much?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I don't like every song of their's like most artists but some of them I really like in particular The Pretender which was supposedly written about Bush.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I don't think there's too many acts that I've liked every song of theirs. The 'Stones and Pink Floyd included.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Not alot of Stones tunes that do much for me although most are listenable I loved Floyd growing up but don't listen to them very often anymore.

To be honest I mostly listen to stuff I'm trying to play for the most part.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

My wife and I are big Foo Fighters fans. Seems they have gone a little overboard with the specials in advance of their new album. I particularly like their concert from Wembley Stadium with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones the Foo Fighters helping with their rendition of "Rock and Roll."

Jim

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yea they really are promoting the new album and seem to be everywhere these days. I like the video for Rope and the song too, but haven't heard anything else from the CD.

ReplyQuote
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

I like the new album a lot. I'll be buying the CD soon.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

My parents were less than impressed my the Foo Fighters, I put on the colour and the shape album in the car and about five tracks in they couldn't take anymore :lol:

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ha that doesn't suprise me...I don't think my parents would have liked it either although my father liked ELO back in the day..Go figure.

I've been working on the new song Rope and the more i listen the more I like it. Still haven't bought the album yet.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2