Clear all

Favorite Song:

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Song?? Well that changes from day, to day, and mood to mood.. Right now ive been listening to a ton of Chris Whitley. So right now, I would say my fav song is "Nararcotic Prayer" [starts at 2:20 something in the vid... ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPqDhgct9VI

Singer... thats easy. I heard about Trixie Whitley from a story in one of the guitar mags. They had a story about Danial Lanois band Black Dub, and I checked it out. Well trixie sang and just BLEW me away!!!! From listening to her, i got turned on to her Dad... Chris Whitley... and I gotta say Ive been sold sence!!! Any ways.... here is Trixie Whitley..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSlk_rIPNBw

Paul B

(@shimone)

I am Indian I love English as well as bollywood, kannada songs too.

My favorite ssinger in English is :Akon
In Bollywood : sonu nigam, shreya ghoshal
In kannada : s p balasubramanyam :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jPOYU5gYc4

ReplyQuote
(@steves6)
Trusted Member

All time favorite Song?

Green Grass and High Tides, By the Outlaws

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

American Pie.

And yes, I do know all the words.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

American Pie.

And yes, I do know all the words.

To the long version? Good on you, Alan! I love to play American Pie, too....but I always have to write the words down if I'm going to sing it!

As for my favourite....hmm, what is it this week? A couple of weeks ago it was "Do The Strand" by Roxy Music - I sweated blood learning the chords to that one. And no, I can't remember all the lyrics yet.....Before that, it was "Wishing Well" by Free - another one I sweated over. Koss used some unusual chord voicings in a lot of Free songs - and Wishing Well was another hard one to work out.

But I think my all time favourite has to be "All Right Now" by Free - I knew I was getting somewhere as a guitarist when I finally nailed that one. Again, unusual chord voicings - once I'd got those down, I worked on the solo. Now I can almost play it without thinking - my fingers KNOW where to go. Closely followed by "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain - another tricky one, took me ages to work out. Seems to me that the hardest songs to work out are those where there's only one guitarist in the band, when there's a melody as well as chords to work out.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Vic.... Koss! Awesome! :D

I would have to say, without thinking much, that my favorite song is: The Wind Cries Mary, by Jimi.
It's just lovely: Guitar, arrangement, lyrics, imagery, feeling....
Quite a few by Jimi.... Dylan, Beatles, Stones, Waits, Van Morrison, Doors, and let's not forget -
Goodbye Porkpie Hat, by Mingus!

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I don't have a favourite song....... though lately I have been real big on soul and I think Express yourself by Charles Wright and the 103rd street rhythm band is one of the coolest songs ever.

Another exceptional song is "Tracks of my tears" by Smokey Robinson and the miracles.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Really had to think hard on this one, I have many favourites but "Maggie May" Rod Stewart and the Faces always comes shining through for me. Great to play & really easy chords, great story lyrics. Just wish I had the gravelly voice to go with it. The song always takes me back to memories of my very late teens and day release tech college summer days during my apprenticeship. OMG! a very long time ago.

Others are "Crocodile Rock" and it's flip side "Elderberry Wine" from Elton John at his peak in those classic years. Again, I hear them and I'm transported right back into those memories. Thats the unique thing about music!

Very early Beatles songs, many of which are favourites too, also trigger very strong memories of home and family and Christmas! Don't know why!

Eeeeh! could go onfor ever choosing favourite songs! Good thread!

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

"Blue Sky Mining"...by Midnight Oil

If you've ever REALLY struggled to feed your wife and kids...and I mean STRUGGLE...you'll identify with it. Here in Oz, working out in The Bue Sky Mine refers to working out in the cane fields or in a sugar refinery. Still brings me to tears...great tune.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyHGUHbfRHQ

Found a version from their CD. Great songcraft with two "in yer face" hooks...quite strongly written.

To anyone out there in GN Land doing it tough: hang in there, matey...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

More soul from me :P "Across 110th street" by Bobby Womack, been obsessed with this song a while and just found out it comes from a film - which I watched last night.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Great song, flea. Fantastic voice.
He wrote 'It's All Over Now' as well. The more famous recorded version is by the Stones, but I prefer his original.
Is Curtis Mayfield on your playlist? Curtis Live at Ronnie Scott's is a great concert film...not sure if it's still in print....

Don

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Curtis Mayfield................................................. what a legend.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot . Still gives me shivers 42 years later .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot . Still gives me shivers 42 years later .

Kinda the same with me with James Taylors "Something in the way she moves"

Paul B

ReplyQuote