buying advice/opinions

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi All,

Its my birthday in the new year and will be getting a new guitar .I am looking for a 335 type semi.I am currently considering the following :

Epiphone Sheraton
Ibanez AS93
Hagstrom Viking II

If you own any of the above and can give me your opinions I would really appreciate it.Or if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Cheers

Bob.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi Bob,

I've only played one of those - the Epi. I played it when I was looking around at semis and full hollowbodies. I liked it, but wanted something entirely different that what I already had. I also have a couple of Epi LPs. Although the tone is obviously different due to the body, the neck felt like an Epiphone and it had the same pickups. I do not think that's a bad thing. I can get a variety of tones including Jazzy ones with my stock Epi LP. It's just easier with the Sheraton.

I ended up with a Gretsch electromatic 5120. I just wanted something different.

I have not played the Hagstrom, but hear they are good.

I've also not played the Ibanez, but I do have two Ibanez solid-bodies that I enjoy. One of them was my starter guitar, although it is a step up from one. Both are doing as I expected. No problems.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

It looks like you have a couple of different price points there so remember you might not be comparing apples to apples. I used to own a Hagstrom Viking and it was very nice and I wish I still had it. It was comfortable had a wide variety of tones and looked cool. I have played a Sheraton a couple of times and it is nice too. The Ibanez is supposed to be great as well but I have no experience with them. I think they are all good choices

Now I want a Semi too :(

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Price wise I am looking to spend around £400-£500.The Hagstrom is the Viking Model not the Viking II.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've played the AS83, I think it was called. Nice guitar.
The Epi I didn't like because it has very small, low frets - I like something a bit bigger.
I've also tried a couple of Hagstrom's in music shop and have been impressed - also nice guitars.

I got a Washburn HB35, which is beautifully finished guitar. In line with its styling, the pickups are not very hot - proobably similar to PAFs.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@aluciano)

. I used to own a Hagstrom Viking and it was very nice and I wish I still had it.(

Hi, I am thinking of getting the Hagstrom Viking. I just saw a review on youtube that someone commented that the frets wear quickly. I hope this is wrong. I am aware that it comes with medium size frets, but the fret material in making guitars should be standard, should it not? Also, I think it has a 1 5/8" nut width, which is going to take me some time to adjust from my guitar that has 1 11/16 nut width"

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I can honestly say that I have never heard that complaint about any guitar ever ever before. It that's the only thing that they can come up with... Not to mention, fret wear is a two way street it's caused by the interaction of the fret and the string, so it stands to to reason if you're using monster stainless sets they're going to wear faster then a set of .07 nickle sets. But I use little ridiculous things and I still get fret wear. Fret material is not standardized but playing style, string and set up are probably the biggest culprits. Hags are too cool, don't let something that will cost you $100 five years from now (if ever) stop you from buying it.

ReplyQuote