Notifications
Clear all

AMP Question

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@criticalc)
Topic starter  

I am new to gear/amps etc.. I have always played acoustic..

If you had the choice between a Crate Palomino v8 All Tube Amp VS. Fender Frontman 25R Solid State

which would you choose?

Both have different applications and modes... the Crate is very basic but TUBE..

The reason I'm comparing is I can get either one for $100 - the Crate used (kijiji) the Fender NEW +Tax

(@matthiasyoung)
Eminent Member

I'm not really a fan of Crate in general, but if you can get a Tube amp for $100, that sounds good. Tube amps will always sound better at a higher volume than solid state amps.

ReplyQuote
(@criticalc)
Topic starter  

I was also thinking about a Fender Mustang for $109.00 + tax...
It's just that the crate will have only one sound really.. and there's no other channels.. VERY basic

The Mustang has like 40 different pre-sets and I've been reading good reviews. Just thought I would sign up to this forum and check out some other opinions.

I AM SO CONFUSED :p

Thanks for the reply though.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Both amps have their fans. I would personally go with the crate as I'm biased to tube amps (is that a tech geek joke? get it? Biased + Tube Amp! Get it?) You have to be more careful with tube amps and they require more maintenance but people tend to respect them more and they have a little more vibe then your basic solid state amp.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Look at how you are going to use it.. I don't know either of these amps so I am assuming here ;)

Tubes generally sound better at volume, they usually don't have headphone sockets.. (at volume you could upset neighbours, family or room mates)

Solid states usually have headphone sockets and a plug for iPod to jam with .. (plug in headphones turn up and rock on lol)

Just my thoughts..

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Look at how you are going to use it.. I don't know either of these amps so I am assuming here ;)

Tubes generally sound better at volume, they usually don't have headphone sockets

I think that's the question. The tube here is (I think) 5W, so even allowing for tube amps being louder (something I take on trust, haven't tried myself), ti's not very loud. The Frontman 25R solid state is a non-modelling solid state amp, so again without having using it, that probably puts it into light gigging territory (that 25W is 25W of power amp rather than 25W of clean power for a modelling amp). Then the Mustang I (20W) which I do have, sounds nice and is versatile in home use, but might struggle to go really loud.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Since you're new to the electric guitar, an inexpensive modeling amp might be useful. It will give you a sample of many different tonal paths. There is no single "tube sound." If Marshall-y settings make you smile, or Vox-y or whatever, that knowledge will give you a foundation for later shopping -- for a good "real" amp. (You might also find that electric guitar is not your thing, in which case you'll only be out a hundred bux or so, minus resale value of the amp.)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

A modeling amp can be a wonderful thing for a beginner or even an old poop like me to play with all the effects. I prefer tube amps but I do have a little Peavey VYPYR 15 I play with. The tried and true answer of trying them out would apply certainly. The little tube amp might knock your socks off but then again may be a one trick pony. (It is a Palimino right?) The Mustang or a Peavey VYPYR would give you all kinds of amp models and effects. The Frontman is more of a solid state one trick pony isn't it? Crow has a good point though about beginners and modeling amps. They are an inexpensive introduction to many sounds and effects. That said though for myself after 35 or so years of playing, I love the smell of hot tubes in the morning.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

I'd personally go for a modelling amp. You don't really know exactly what you're looking for in an amplifier yet, and I personally find modelling amps to have a higher quality at low pricings. Both the Peavey Vypyr and the Fender Mustang get pretty good reactions on the web. The Vypyr would probably be better for the high gain stuff while the Fender offers better clean sounds. If going for for a tube amp, I would probably recommend the Blackstar HT-1/5 amplifiers, but I believe those are above budget (A good might be had though, you never know!).

- Peavey Vypyr: Intended for metal/high gain, but still able to play other music of course.
- Fender Mustang II: Great cleans, the gain stuff will be less good though.

- Blackstar HT: More expensive, tube amp. A personal favorite for the price.

When on a budget, it's important to know what you want. You can't have everything, so your choices are important! Try them out ideally, because it might theoretically be perfect but lacking once you play it, or you might even be pleasantly surprised. Most amps have their merits if you check them out (but the Line 6 Spider series or Marshall MG are the work of the devil :lol: ).

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

+1 to what many ahve said about the functionality of a modelling amp. There's a lot of functionality for you to explore and get a feel for. It will be there as an easy to travel with amp later on down the road, or when a friend comes over to jam, etc, etc. I've got a hybrid with some versatility that has been on a few road trips or been used for a guest a time or two. Very handy.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote