Notifications
Clear all

amp for relaxing at home

29 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@obsessed76)
Eminent Member

I have a vox mini3 actually IN my nightstand next to my bed. If you're not going full metal jacket it has some good sound and decent effects and low volumes. Seems to have everything I need. I wouldn't try and bring it to play out anywhere tho.

ReplyQuote
(@louisvillenoo-b)
Eminent Member

Agree with previous poster. I have the Vox DA5 and there are a million diffent effects to play with. It's a great amp for what you're looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I think Kustom used to make a guitar amp that had a padded covering that would probably be pretty comfortable to sit and relax on . :lol: :wink:

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I'd take a bit more cash in hand and buy separately. Small, bedroom type amp 1-5W and a multi-fx unit. If you buy as a unit and you don't like the amp, but ike the effects (or vice versa) you're stuck. Separate, you can change or upgrade as desire and budget allows.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Personally, I'd take a bit more cash in hand and buy separately. Small, bedroom type amp 1-5W and a multi-fx unit. If you buy as a unit and you don't like the amp, but ike the effects (or vice versa) you're stuck. Separate, you can change or upgrade as desire and budget allows.

+1

IMHO, you will never be sorry if you spend a little more for around 5 watts of simple vacuum-tube power. My Line 6 Pod 2.0 is wonderful for "relaxing" -- for pretending to be a guitar god, through headphones, to avoid humiliation -- but my three-tube, 5-watt National Studio 10 is the real deal. That's an early '60s amp, but there seems to be a ton of neat little low-power tube amps out there these days.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Pignose - champ xd - cubes - champ 300 - are all very good choices with solid circuits (quiet build quality) I'd stay away from the marshall cheap -o's (what is a cheap marshall? anything under $3g's) The pods are also very cool.
There are lots of things you can do to combat noise. Not playing near monitors, tv's, and neon and flo lighting. Using grounded outlets and having properly working and serviced equipment.

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

I paid £50 for my Fender Frontman 15G (ebay)
Boy is it punchy!

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I agree with the roland cube - nice little amp, no fuss - the vox's are great for messing around but I swear every 4th amp (seriously, little hyperbole here) that comes through the door at my buddy's repair shop is a vox AD series, the viper's don't have a great track record either. The cube is a good strummers amp.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I agree with the roland cube - nice little amp, no fuss - the vox's are great for messing around but I swear every 4th amp (seriously, little hyperbole here) that comes through the door at my buddy's repair shop is a vox AD series, the viper's don't have a great track record either. The cube is a good strummers amp.

Whats the problems with the AD's?? Ive had a AD30VT for a number of years now, and its been a good amp. maybe Im one of the lucky ones??

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

they seem to get a lot of problems with shorts across the board and/or interference from the leads and the blow transformers maybe because of this - seems to be more so on the 50 and 100's especially but I kind of assumed this was because the smaller ones get tossed because of the repair to cost ratio, but they may not suffer the same problems - I had a 50 that would begin to glitch badly if pushed beyond any kind of bedroom level.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

they seem to get a lot of problems with shorts across the board and/or interference from the leads and the blow transformers maybe because of this - seems to be more so on the 50 and 100's especially but I kind of assumed this was because the smaller ones get tossed because of the repair to cost ratio, but they may not suffer the same problems - I had a 50 that would begin to glitch badly if pushed beyond any kind of bedroom level.

Well then agean, mine doesnt normaly get pushed beyond bedroom[er...celler] level. :D Its handy for that though. Im realy wanting that nice little marshall 5 watt tube baby to take its place soon though!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

there was one on Albany craigslist yesterday.

ReplyQuote
(@jafarguitar)
Eminent Member

5 Wat Marchel what model number do you recommend? price is not important for me

Watch me play

ReplyQuote
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member

There's so many amps, that I don't have... yet? :shock: I really really like my Roland Cube 20X for simplicity, sound and price. 8)

For what was requested, I would say Roland Micro Cube is a better choice.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2