Notifications
Clear all

amp for relaxing at home

29 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@spook)
Topic starter  

I've been playing about 15 years now. I'm not that great though ;-)
Never really been interested in playing with other people neither.
I only play in my living room when home alone.
I like to play blues, sometimes a little jazzy.

I've got an electric guitar as a present almost about 15 years ago, since I never had an amplifier I've always been playing it without. But now for the first time I'm feeling the urge to play with some reverb and perhaps experiment a bit with effects.
Since I have no intentions at all to play loud, I guess I don't need that much watts.

So basicly I'm looking for something extremely small that can give me some basic guitar effects. Shouldn't be too expensive, shouldn't be too big. I don't care that much how it looks, but it would be nice if it could be small and compact so that I can put it away easily when I'm done playing.

A couple of years ago I used my father his old fender amplifier, but it just had too much noise on it, even when not playing there would always be a noise left, which was very irritating. If I buy something, I would really want it to be absolutely noise-free.

And Hey, you know what would be extremely cool: if it could be wireless as well :) But I guess that has nothing to do with the amplifier in itself :)

Anybody got an idea what could be the best choice for me?
:-) probably not that easy I guess.

(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

Hmmm I know there's a few Marshall mini amps out there, not badly priced either! Ive never had an electric so I might be talking utter rubbish but it might be worth a look for!

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat2)
Trusted Member

you should not have to spend much over $100 for what you are describing

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi spook,

There seem to be lots of small amps on the market, and also quite a few slightly larger ones (still OK for bedroom use) that have a range of built in effects.

You may already know about this, but whatever you choose you'll need to do some re-adjustment. Initially it will probably sound pretty terrible, and you may be tempted to blame the quality of the amp. But what will really be happening is that you'll have to change the way you play to suit the new setup. Basically, acoustic and electric require different techniques and you've almost certainly been playing acoustic style if you've been playing unplugged for years. I did something similar - did the first few weeks of practice on electric guitar with no amp - and then found out why people recommend that you use the amp when you play. Amps don't just make it louder, they change other things too.

The touch and technique needs to be different Amped playing requires you to be much more selective about how many strings you strike and how long you let them ring for, or you'll just end up with a lot of layers of confused and muddy noise piling up. So learning the different ways of muting is important, as is varying your touch and being more choosy about which strings you hit.

It may not take you all that long to adjust but it's worth knowing that you will be up for some additional learning on new techniques and it won't automatically just sound louder and better. So don't get discouraged if it initially sounds louder and a lot worse! :wink: That's pretty normal, and there's a reason for it.

Good luck with it all.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

My Vox DA5 has like 22 effects & is good for what it is....which is exact what I use it for...with headphones.
Runs on batteries too. $140 is what I paid for it at a local place......actually, this is second one I've had. The first one grew legs & ran for the hills apparently.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

There's so many amps, that I don't have... yet? :shock: I really really like my Roland Cube 20X for simplicity, sound and price. 8)

For heavy bangin' out the tunes at home, and external effects, it's the Fender Blues Junior, 15 tube watts seems like 40. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I think the Peavey Vypyr would be a good choice for right around $100.
Amp modelling, built in effects, headphone out for late night playing, and 15 watts for when you really want to shake the dust off the furniture.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

Pignose. OK, it doesn't take effects well. Not that I tried.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Maybe this Marshall fulls stack (8 speakers) will bring you to the forefront of sound....

Than again, I'm just kidding. It's great you learned to play without effects and now using them to shape your sound.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

If amping your acoustic at home do you need one of those rubber sound hole covers to kill feedback?

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Depends how loud you play. You'll get feedback through the amp if:

-- You walk in front of your amp facing it (traditional feedback using and electric guitar but with your acoustic)
-- You are meandering about your room but have the amp cranked up (sound will bounce off walls into the open sound hole)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

Depends how loud you play. You'll get feedback through the amp if:

-- You walk in front of your amp facing it (traditional feedback using and electric guitar but with your acoustic)
-- You are meandering about your room but have the amp cranked up (sound will bounce off walls into the open sound hole)
Quiet playing at home, sat in the chair, noodling and playing with the sound. So probably no then. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

maybe a Roland Cube 5W amp would be the way to go - a few fx, and about 4/5 modelled amps, if memory serves me well. From "clean" to "Rectifier..." Then again, you could get a louder - or more high-powered - amp with more on-board fx, and use headphones?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I have a Roland Cube & a Fender Super Champ XD 15w tube amp both fantastic amps..
Both sound good a low volume for noodling in the bedroom..

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

I have a Blackstar HT5 that is really nice. They also make a 1 watt version now. I would definitely say you have to spend more than $100 to get a good sounding amp though. Lots of other mini heads on the market now. Orange Tiny Terror may be an option. Vox Nightrain is another. Mesa has one as well. Head down to your local music shop and give some a try until you find something that sounds good to you.

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2